City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#821 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:26 PM

...i listen to cfax in the car when we drive

CFAX and driving in a car. Not exactly the Helps' target demographic.  ;)

#822 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 06:15 AM

Interestingly my kids and I do the same and I bet you can imagine what they all think of her. Of course they’re young enough that they probably think that protected bike lanes have always been downtown so they really have no idea how much we owe that woman.
  • Coreyburger likes this

#823 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:41 AM

........ so they really have no idea how much we owe that woman.

Is this for real, or are you just trolling?

"We" owe her NOTHING.

If you want to teach your kids to feel indebted to a politician of dubious experience and skills, go ahead an do so ... but please refrain from using "we" in the context you're using it currently.

• Nparker likes this

#824 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:45 AM

So since you're not actually a member of my family I wouldn't ordinarily include you in the "we" in the context of my post.

But yes the troll was both being honest and trolling.

• Baro and Coreyburger like this

#825 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:42 AM

There many valuable life lessons kids can learn from the mayor. Eg...

Powerful men who sexually harass women should be protected and rewarded, kids, and we should try to hush things up.

A person who commits armed robbery and terrorizes a store clerk is not a bad person.

A homeless camp where drug dealers run amok and sell drugs to teens... that's really just sorta like a campground.

If you get caught doing something wrong... deny, deny, deny...
  • Nparker, sdwright.vic, RFS and 2 others like this

#826 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 25 January 2019 - 10:37 AM

Really wish we'd quit calling the homeless squats "camps", they aren't.  Camping is done with permission in a non-trespassing kind of way and respects the space that is being used with a goal of leaving it as good or better than you found it.

• Nparker, tedward, jonny and 3 others like this

#827 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 08:48 PM

well surprisingly my kid already wildly dislikes her.. (i listen to cfax in the car when we drive and do talk about what we hear)

You have a smart cookie on your hands. Gives me hope for the future
  • Nparker and sdwright.vic like this

#828 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:19 PM

Response from City of Victoria about breach of privacy by Councilor Issit:

Your circumstances are almost the same as other complaints the City has received. That is, you corresponded with the City about an issue and your email address was used by Councillor Isitt to provide you with information about his work as a Councillor or Council activities.

I have advised my boss about your privacy complaint with regard to the ongoing privacy investigation. Steps have already been taken to advise all Councillors that the use of personal email addresses obtained via the mayorandcouncil@victoria.ca or council@victoria.ca cannot be used for other purposes such as your and others were used by Councillor Isitt. For example, I wrote a briefing note to the Mayor and Council on the legislated requirements to collect, use and disclose personal information. Other steps are being taken (e.g. updating the City’s Privacy Policy) to prevent similar situations regarding the unauthorized collect and use of personal email addresses.

I believe I have done all that is necessary to stop Councillor Isitt from using people’s email addresses un the manner that you and others have complained about. I also think appropriate steps have been taken to prevent it from happening in future. As I said below in a previous email, the Privacy Commissioner’s office has received a privacy complaint and will investigate the incidents the City has received, including yours. The Commissioner’s staff will review the privacy investigation I conducted and the recommendations I made. If the Commissioner’s staff are not satisfied with the City’s efforts, it will require additional steps to be taken. Therefore, I am not taking further action until the Privacy Commissioner’s office has conducted its own investigation and provides me with its findings that may include implementing additional preventative measures.

You are able to make your own complaint to the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner Sean and/or ask me any additional follow up questions or seek clarification of this email.
  • Baro, Rob Randall, Nparker and 7 others like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#829 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:38 PM

...I believe I have done all that is necessary to stop Councillor Isitt from using people’s email addresses in the manner that you and others have complained about...

Time will tell if this is true.

• pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

#830 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:49 PM

Was there a confidentiality "...contents of this email are meant for intended recipient only..." after the City's reply? :unsure:

• lanforod likes this

#831 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:11 AM

^actually, no there was not. Just signed thank you, Rob.

#832 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:06 AM

It's actually a ridiculously informal letter for a response to an otherwise serious inquiry related to the abuse of federal privacy laws.

Calling somebody "my boss" in an official COV letter tends to imply a general lack of experience on the part of the letter writer.

The general tone of the letter is amateurish overall, and rather than offer positive assurance that this abuse of private information will never happen again, the letter instead exposes COV inner workings and exchanges related to the original inquiry, COV information that should likely have remained "in house".

But in light of the COV's mishandling of other types of major issues over the past number of years, I suppose one shouldn't be at all surprised about something as innocuous as an amateur COV response to, what is after all, a very serious abuse of private information, and a violation of law(s) as currently written.

Edited by Cassidy, 30 January 2019 - 10:06 AM.

• Daveyboy and Midnightly like this

#833 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:13 AM

“I believe I have done all that is necessary to stop Councillor Isitt from using people’s email addresses un [sic] the manner that you and others have complained about.”

“Complained about,” hey? This does indeed read like something that created a nuisance rather than uncovered/exposed a serious flaw in the City’s handling of private information.
  • sdwright.vic likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#834 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:10 PM

It was a nice little frick off now wasn't it?

#835 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:22 PM

You can always retort that the handling of the matter is not to your satisfaction and ask to have the issue pushed up the chain of command. As a taxpayer in the CoV you get to decide when the issue is concluded, not when the government tells you “I believe I have done all that is necessary.” Have you really, City of Victoria? Because this is not a new issue and the first round of apparent action (years back) appears to have had no effect on the councillor’s unauthorized use of private information.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#836 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:25 PM

He also pushed it off on the Privacy Commissioner’s office to determine if his actions are suffice. Which means this isn't over yet.

If I am not satisfied by the time I get back from vacation (I will check back i with him then). I may leak my email to the media.

#837 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:20 PM

He also pushed it off on the Privacy Commissioner’s office to determine if his actions are suffice. Which means this isn't over yet.

If I am not satisfied by the time I get back from vacation (I will check back i with him then). I may leak my email to the media.

You already did... or did you think Mike isn't 'media'?

• Matt R. likes this

#838 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:14 PM

^well ya Mike is "media", just not media "media". Like 6 o'clock national news media.

#839 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,152 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 04:21 PM

^ VV is 24/7. We don't wait 'til 6 o'clock.

#840 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 04:23 PM

^well I know that... that's why I shared my breaking news here first!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users