City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#8981 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,038 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 05:34 AM

dubow is likely toast anyway. he’s a terrible councillor.
  • GaryRanson, SimonH, Spy Black and 1 other like this

#8982 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 07:22 PM

A little OT, but it goes to CoV’s “consultation” process.  The JB cycle plan is in it’s final iteration.  It involves buggering up Government as well as a couple of other streets.  Engage Victoria has a survey available.  As usual there is no “none of the above” choice.  Just which of their bad ideas do you like the most.

I would be interested to know how the Richmond resistance is going.  In the end I think none of these crazy projects can be stopped without residents taking to the streets.

The city’s bogus consultation process also makes me think that we (i.e. the residents) need some way to actually express an opinion.  Ideally some kind of internet vote that could be restricted to CoV residents and wasn’t susceptible to activist swamping like those zoom meetings.  I know, of course, that most of city council couldn’t care less what we think.  But if they could see a large, credible reaction to their schemes it might even eventually penetrate their thick skulls.  

• Nparker, rjag and A Girl is No one like this

#8983 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,554 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 07:25 PM

Did anyone catch this morning's committee of the whole discussion regarding police funding?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8984 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 07:44 PM

Did anyone catch this morning's committee of the whole discussion regarding police funding?

Some of it. Hard to follow because lots of amendments, and some time in camera, but I think the vote ultimately went 7-2 in favour of VicPD's request for more money to back up City bylaw officers until September, Dubow and Isitt opposed. Loveday and Potts were somewhat skeptical but ultimately wanted to support City staff. Lots of questions from Isitt to Manak about VicPD's media releases and the public perception of crime.

Edited by Jacques Cadé, 13 May 2021 - 07:44 PM.

• Sparky and Awaiting Juno like this

#8985 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,554 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 07:45 PM

This is great, thank you. So $25k/month through September.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8986 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 May 2021 - 08:08 PM

I managed to catch bits of, and Adam Stirling tweeting about, some movement afoot to make it mandatory to manually, by hand, dismantle old houses instead of demolish them with an excavator?  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#8987 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,554 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 08:25 PM

Yes, the City is looking into the idea of dismantling homes slated for demolition, rather than bringing in machinery to do it. The theorized cost (once the homeowner sells sellable items dismantled or recovered) is upwards of $30,000, which means we're dealing with adding (realistically) at least $30,000 to the building of new housing in the CoV that replaces an existing home. I don't doubt that such costs could easily surpass that figure.
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.

#8988 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 May 2021 - 08:37 PM

I believe the Victoria Residential Builders Association submitted a letter to council that wasn't included in the correspondence section of council's agenda.  Geoff Young brought it to council's attention.  

Isitt was of course very much in favor of this.  I suppose it fits his vision of 'affordable but only when the government is supplying the housing'.

• A Girl is No one likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#8989 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 08:40 PM

Only the clowns on CoV council could possibly believe increasing building costs lead to more affordable housing. They are literally nuts.

• GaryRanson likes this

#8990 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,554 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 08:46 PM

It’s at the point now where council is creating obstacles to housing affordability, and advocating for an extension to housing construction timelines.
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.

#8991 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 11:17 PM

Yes, the City is looking into the idea of dismantling homes slated for demolition, rather than bringing in machinery to do it. The theorized cost (once the homeowner sells sellable items dismantled or recovered) is upwards of $30,000, which means we're dealing with adding (realistically) at least $30,000 to the building of new housing in the CoV that replaces an existing home. I don't doubt that such costs could easily surpass that figure.

IF they can find someone to do the job.. it's hard enough in this city to do construction with all the hoops you need to go through then finding a company that has availability and is willing to do the job (i can imagine the ones building the home probably would not be the same as the ones taking the old one apart for recycling).. our building had a hard enough time just trying to get a quote to do a roof replacement for our building (and this looking to be a 100k or more job!)

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#8992 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,038 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 03:01 AM

the largest problem with the hand deconstruction is all the worksafe requirements. I mean they are there for a reason but they escalate costs. scaffolding and safety equipment. and then just lots of manual labour.

instead of just whacking it with a excavator boom and bashing it into small enough bits for a demolition bin.

it’s extremely difficult to hand deconstruct anything above the ground floor walls. so that means every floor above the ground and the roof. you still need equipment and all kinds of safety features for anyone inside the site.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 May 2021 - 03:04 AM.

#8993 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 03:41 AM

And now my neighbours plans to sell and get out of Victoria is really starting to make sense.

#8994 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 06:23 AM

Only the clowns on CoV council could possibly believe increasing building costs lead to more affordable housing. They are literally nuts.

The plan is to make it as hard as possible to replace buildings. They believe that if they can prevent development then existing stock will remain cheap.

#8995 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 06:28 AM

The plan is to make it as hard as possible to replace buildings. They believe that if they can prevent development then existing stock will remain cheap.

So that means my property assessment will remain stable and I won't see any increase in my taxes from the CoV?  <_<

• rmpeers likes this

#8996 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 06:30 AM

So that means my property assessment will remain stable and I won't see any increase in my taxes from the CoV?  <_<

Your costs can go up 100%, they don't care about that as they have rent controls. Demolition means that the units can be rented at market though. 

#8997 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,554 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 07:20 AM

My home insurance is up 8% this year.

Taxes will be up roughly 5-6% I’m sure.

Lumber for improvements is up 350%.

Hydro is up 2.7%.

Gas is up 30% (granted, last year was an anomaly).

Water will be higher, too. And on it goes.

Know it all.

#8998 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 07:26 AM

My home insurance is up 8% this year.

Taxes will be up roughly 5-6% I’m sure.

Lumber for improvements is up 350%.

Hydro is up 2.7%.

Gas is up 30% (granted, last year was an anomaly).

Water will be higher, too. And on it goes.

After deductions, my take-home pay is $4.00 more per month this year.

Something's got to give. My discretionary budget is shrinking. Restaurants, clothes, travel, I'm looking at you!

#8999 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 07:29 AM

Kitty: I suspect that your situation is the norm for a lot of people. Time to dump Netflicks as well since they are adding more taxes there as well. 

#9000 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,554 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 07:41 AM

And that’s the trick. The feds tell us inflation is x, but you and I see costs rising at x+y. It makes you wonder if however the fed calculates inflation has more to do with its own commitments to workers and adjustments to social services tied to inflation, than a real-world reflection of what’s happening.
  • Nparker and Love the rock like this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users