Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#9481 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 09:10 AM

I think Taco raises a good point and one I raise at Council; “Reasonably foreseeable”. We surely, from history, should know the impact of decisions.

Anyone who couldn’t see when we went against best practices is willfully ignorant.
  • Nparker, LJ, sebberry and 4 others like this

#9482 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 09:29 AM

And to top if all off, we are now seeing a return to disruptive protests that are strangling downtown businesses as they try to adapt to a neat implosion of tourism traffic and dismal worker numbers at local offices. And didn’t City Hall staff even participate in 2019’s Friday “walk-outs?”

The protests have a profound impact on downtown commerce and the very people within those protests tangentially championing issues like local shopping are, in fact, causing a great deal of income hemorrhaging to those businesses with every street blockade, bridge closure and disruption that blocks customers from or hinders them accessing businesses and services.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9483 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 11:26 AM

We stopped dining out downtown or doing any shopping. It is not the fault of the businesses but it is unpleasant.

• Nparker and pennymurphy2000 like this

#9484 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 11:39 AM

The wife and I went into Victoria Friday. Not been in for 6 months but we had a few chores to do. Parked up and put a couple of hours parking on the car. Left after 30 minutes. We wont be returning.

Those chores will be done nearer to home or online.

#9485 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 11:43 AM

yet city officials will argue with your assessment.

#9486 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 12:10 PM

The wife and I went into Victoria Friday. Not been in for 6 months but we had a few chores to do. Parked up and put a couple of hours parking on the car. Left after 30 minutes. We wont be returning.

Those chores will be done nearer to home or online.

What specifically happened that caused this decision?

#9487 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 02:28 PM

What specifically happened that caused this decision?

Well it started with a dishevelled gentleman checking out other vehicles in the parkade,  then the  heroin piss smell in the parkade stairwell.  Stepping outside and at a crosswalk having to avoid a deranged man.  

Within a 10 minute walk to our first destination we passed easily 5 other "homeless" individuals either in doorways or just sat on the pavement. At the corner of Yates and Broad st a group of 4 of them stoned on the pavement.

Enough.

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

#9488 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 02:32 PM

build it and they will come.

we built the largest social housing/shelter network in all of North America - per capita - right in downtown Victoria here.

*** go ahead challenge me on that. Find a larger network and/or more permissive environment on the entire continent. ***

congrats to us.

diversity is our strength.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 September 2021 - 02:35 PM.

• A Girl is No one, kitty surprise and Vicrazy like this

#9489 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 03:08 PM

Well it started with a dishevelled gentleman checking out other vehicles in the parkade, then the heroin piss smell in the parkade stairwell. Stepping outside and at a crosswalk having to avoid a deranged man.

Within a 10 minute walk to our first destination we passed easily 5 other "homeless" individuals either in doorways or just sat on the pavement. At the corner of Yates and Broad st a group of 4 of them stoned on the pavement.

Enough.

I’m really sorry you had this experience. And to all who visit anywhere in our city.

We need your help - if there isn’t a record of it, apparently “it didn’t happen”.

So, we need the data so we can make a case for resources.

Here are some links for “Request for service”.

https://www.victoria...quest-form.html

If you see garbage cans over flowing or in need of cleaning - please report it.

Cigarette butts laying around - let us know.

If there’s an area in the city that reeks of urine (and I’m being serious here, please no snarky comment about “everywhere”) please report it. We can then get crews out to treat the area.

If you need bylaw, such as people blocking the sidewalk - report it. We will then get someone there to assist.

Here’s the link:

https://www.victoria...-violation.html

If you have a non-emergency police issue, please report it

Here’s the link: https://vicpd.ca/ser...a-crime-online/

Now, why is this important?

Often we raise issues and are told “there is no record of that issue” or “we have not seen many instances of that issue” and as a councillor we cannot dispute the response.

So we need back up. We need YOUR support.

As you know I try to engage as much as possible, but the issues we see need to be documented. If we are to lobby various levels of government for more support, we must have the evidence.

In that regard I want to give a HUGE shout out to the “graffiti team” of volunteers in James Bay. This exceptional group of citizens works hard to remove graffiti from the community and it looks amazing. I’m told the area is 99 percent graffiti free.

If you want to copy me at my email every time you make a report please do. I will follow up. Stephen.Andrew@victoria.ca

Thank you!

Stephen
  • John M., Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and 3 others like this

#9490 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 03:11 PM

yes. That’s all fair Stephen.

We can be proud of our graffiti free status. We are very unique in that areas.

That sends a great message. Don’t graffiti in James bay or you will just be painted over. And graffiti artists “pay” for their paint in money or theft. so they will abandon areas they have no lasting effect in.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 September 2021 - 03:15 PM.

• Stephen Andrew and Awaiting Juno like this

#9491 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 04:13 PM

We walk downtown every Saturday.  My impression is that it’s picking up a bit. I haven’t seen many drug freaks around and haven’t encountered anyone who looked dangerous in two or three months.  Of course it depends where and when you walk.  The overall ambience is drearier than it used to be, but what isn’t.

I was wondering how the vax pass thing would play out.  We’ve been to three restaurants since it came in. The first two times we presented our phones at reception.  At the first one the staffer gave a cursory glance at one phone and waved us in.  At the second one we were told the server would check them.  The server didn’t check anything.  At the third one we didn’t bother and nobody asked.  None checked ID or scanned anything.  From what I could see this was the same for other patrons.  

I suspect larger venues and certainly those with security are doing the whole thing but smaller places can’t afford to turn away customers and don’t have staff to spare.  So I think the vax pass is largely virus theatre, like the masks.

Edited by JimV, 26 September 2021 - 04:14 PM.

#9492 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 04:52 PM

Stephen ... while appreciating your efforts, each of your suggestions results in either being forced to leave a message that results in zero action, or actually getting the report in, but having to wait days (or weeks) for some sort of response.

All of the above through my own first hand experience, in the downtown core, managing a large downtown business, every day for the past 30 years.

The serious problems COV Council has brought upon the city are beyond a "phone call" to fix ... indeed the mess the city is in right now will likely take a decade (or longer) to remediate ... and that's if the entire Council were replaced with pro-business, pro-taxpayer, and pro-law and order City Councillors immediately.

This current mess isn't sustainable, never has worked, and never will work.

• Nparker, sebberry, Love the rock and 1 other like this

#9493 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 06:07 PM

City council is not intending this to work but rather the chaos serves their ends. Crisis is what they feed upon,

• Nparker, A Girl is No one and Spy Black like this

#9494 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 06:44 PM

I’m really sorry you had this experience. And to all who visit anywhere in our city.

We need your help - if there isn’t a record of it, apparently “it didn’t happen”.

So, we need the data so we can make a case for resources.

Here are some links for “Request for service”.

https://www.victoria...quest-form.html

If you see garbage cans over flowing or in need of cleaning - please report it.

Cigarette butts laying around - let us know.

If there’s an area in the city that reeks of urine (and I’m being serious here, please no snarky comment about “everywhere”) please report it. We can then get crews out to treat the area.

If you need bylaw, such as people blocking the sidewalk - report it. We will then get someone there to assist.

Here’s the link:

https://www.victoria...-violation.html

If you have a non-emergency police issue, please report it

Here’s the link: https://vicpd.ca/ser...a-crime-online/

Now, why is this important?

Often we raise issues and are told “there is no record of that issue” or “we have not seen many instances of that issue” and as a councillor we cannot dispute the response.

So we need back up. We need YOUR support.

As you know I try to engage as much as possible, but the issues we see need to be documented. If we are to lobby various levels of government for more support, we must have the evidence.

In that regard I want to give a HUGE shout out to the “graffiti team” of volunteers in James Bay. This exceptional group of citizens works hard to remove graffiti from the community and it looks amazing. I’m told the area is 99 percent graffiti free.

If you want to copy me at my email every time you make a report please do. I will follow up. Stephen.Andrew@victoria.ca

Thank you!

Stephen

the trouble with "if there is no report it didn't happen" we get that the mayor and council don't care.. how many times has the mayor pulled out "i've talked to some people" and used that to make sweeping changes.. isn't that how we got the mess down at clover point (no one wanted it closed but some mysterious people she talked to suggested it then it must mean the whole city wants to see it closed)  even with reports filed they have been shrugged off.. how many reports were filed about safety in beacon hill park, attacks in beacon hill park, heck even staff didn't want to enter the park without security yet we're told by the mayor it's perfectly safe because she rode her bike through there and saw  kid's party... so i'm kinda feeling the why bother of it all.. we report it's ignored and we're told it's not as bad as we think it is, we don't report "we have no problems here see there are no reports"

• Nparker, sebberry, pennymurphy2000 and 5 others like this

#9495 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 07:13 PM

It’s true, in that the closure of vehicle access to Clover to the degree the City did it was at the literal bottom of a long list feedback from Fairfield residents.

@Stephen, thank you for that link. Stephen’s suggestion to email him with a report to the city is generous, and provides the report maker with a feedback loop direct with a sitting councillor.
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9496 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 07:37 PM

Stephen ... while appreciating your efforts, each of your suggestions results in either being forced to leave a message that results in zero action, or actually getting the report in, but having to wait days (or weeks) for some sort of response.

All of the above through my own first hand experience, in the downtown core, managing a large downtown business, every day for the past 30 years.

The serious problems COV Council has brought upon the city are beyond a "phone call" to fix ... indeed the mess the city is in right now will likely take a decade (or longer) to remediate ... and that's if the entire Council were replaced with pro-business, pro-taxpayer, and pro-law and order City Councillors immediately.

This current mess isn't sustainable, never has worked, and never will work.

Can we chat? If we get evidence we can the evidence we can advance it.

Please don’t throw your hands up in the air. I ran to make a difference. I can tell you there is tremendous energy to make out city better. But if there’s an expectation that only 9 people sound the table have all the answers - the then we are doomed. Please email me, I want to hear and learn. Thank you
  • John M. and Stephen James like this

#9497 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 07:42 PM

the trouble with "if there is no report it didn't happen" we get that the mayor and council don't care.. how many times has the mayor pulled out "i've talked to some people" and used that to make sweeping changes.. isn't that how we got the mess down at clover point (no one wanted it closed but some mysterious people she talked to suggested it then it must mean the whole city wants to see it closed) even with reports filed they have been shrugged off.. how many reports were filed about safety in beacon hill park, attacks in beacon hill park, heck even staff didn't want to enter the park without security yet we're told by the mayor it's perfectly safe because she rode her bike through there and saw kid's party... so i'm kinda feeling the why bother of it all.. we report it's ignored and we're told it's not as bad as we think it is, we don't report "we have no problems here see there are no reports"

To be blunt, this me. I am not here to sit on my butt, I want to make a difference. If that means wading through emails and forwarding issues to those who can help, I’m prepared to do that. I try to engage fo get real feedback so I can use the information. Anecdotes are wonderful, but I hear various comments on issues - all welcome and respected. Help is on the way

#9498 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 08:01 PM

To be blunt, this me. I am not here to sit on my butt, I want to make a difference. If that means wading through emails and forwarding issues to those who can help, I’m prepared to do that. I try to engage fo get real feedback so I can use the information. Anecdotes are wonderful, but I hear various comments on issues - all welcome and respected. Help is on the way

to be honest i didn't mean to lump you into all the councilors around the table, i realized this after i had posted and that wasn't my intention, i do see you trying to reach out, trying to make a difference to listen to people, doing more then the average councilor, and if there were elections tomorrow you would have my vote... it's just me being rather disheartened by the way the city is going, feeling ignored, that the average citizens don't matter especially if we're not cyclist, renters who love and carry reusable everythings (bags, containers, cups....)

• A Girl is No one likes this

#9499 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 08:20 PM

.. it's just me being rather disheartened by the way the city is going, feeling ignored, that the average citizens don't matter especially if we're not cyclist-renters who love and carry reusable everything...

It's the same for me. I have felt entirely ignored by my local government ever since Lisa Helps and the TV cabal* took over.

*this includes unofficial TV-ers "Benemy"

• Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

#9500 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 08:25 PM

to be honest i didn't mean to lump you into all the councilors around the table, i realized this after i had posted and that wasn't my intention, i do see you trying to reach out, trying to make a difference to listen to people, doing more then the average councilor, and if there were elections tomorrow you would have my vote... it's just me being rather disheartened by the way the city is going, feeling ignored, that the average citizens don't matter especially if we're not cyclist, renters who love and carry reusable everythings (bags, containers, cups....)

Well, I’m here. Get in contact. You won’t be ignored.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users