Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#10161 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 11:33 AM

What might be far more useful: looking at the process of building permits and approvals and inspections and seeking to reduce delays and expenses associated with property improvement and development. Particularly when there is a net gain in the number of housing units that will be available after the project is complete.  

If you are serious about increasing the availability of affordable housing there are simple solutions (although they will never be implemented).

1. If vacancy rates across Canada are below a certain threshold then limit immigration. Why bring in more people if you can't house the ones you already have?

2. Charge a single occupancy tax. If housing is so tight then why not require people to share? 

Edited by spanky123, 03 December 2021 - 11:34 AM.

#10162 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 11:44 AM

The "very low income" component is going to look like council is doing something to provide low-income affordable housing, and its the industry that isn't responding like they should. But I don't know how you can build safe, to-code multi-unit housing for very low income earners without some form of government intervention, or a very clear subsidy component attributed to the other 2-3 units in the same building. But even if someone sets out to do that, lenders would not run to back such a project unless there is another form of lending security like government backing. There's just too much risk of not fulfilling debt obligations.

Does anyone know directly of a person who is living in one of these subsidized or 'affordable' units provided by a developer? All I hear is of anecdotal stories where the units seem to pretty much market rates to me even though someone may claim they are at a discount to 'market prices'. 

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#10163 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 11:46 AM

1. If vacancy rates across Canada are below a certain threshold then limit immigration. Why bring in more people if you can't house the ones you already have?

2. Charge a single occupancy tax. If housing is so tight then why not require people to share? 

1. OK
2. NEVER! I'll fight to the death for my right not to have share my space with some mouth-breathing troglodyte. I prefer to be my own mouth-breathing troglodyte.

• Midnightly, Awaiting Juno and Barrrister like this

#10164 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,948 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 11:49 AM

You will still have that right. You’d just pay a fee for the right.

#10165 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,948 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 11:51 AM

On missing middle: there's policy that could work and could work effectively to strike a balance between increasing density and providing affordable housing. One idea I haven't seen discussed is conditional zoning - if a set of conditions are met (land size, type of ownership/tenure (ie. rental only for 30 years, or co-op ownership), design, neighbourhood density level, etc.) the project is approved. Perhaps the city has a dozens of missing middle plans for that are pre-approved (no custom designs). If the conditions aren't met, then it's the standard process that must be used. The blanket policy lacks adequate control to prevent wholesale abuse and misuse and is likely to lead to widescale escalation of property values caused by speculation.

What might be far more useful: looking at the process of building permits and approvals and inspections and seeking to reduce delays and expenses associated with property improvement and development. Particularly when there is a net gain in the number of housing units that will be available after the project is complete.

Which I have already said on here 50 times.

Zone all properties on Douglas Fairfield Bay Quadra Shelbourne Gorge Fort Burnside Cook Hillside etc. Not properties on quiet residential streets.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 December 2021 - 11:53 AM.

#10166 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 12:10 PM

You will still have that right. You’d just pay a fee for the right.

Then it's not really a right; it's an option.

#10167 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,948 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 12:12 PM

Then it's not really a right; it's an option.

Not all rights are also free.  You have the right to live in work where you please in the country, but you have to pay the bill to get there.

You have a right to vote, but you'll need to find your own way to the polling station.

You have a right to assemble, but you need to print your own flyers and pay the hall rental.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 December 2021 - 12:16 PM.

#10168 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 12:28 PM

Take the "living single" payment out of my existing school taxes - a service for which I pay but will never use.

And while we're at it, I want a carbon tax credit for not having children, meaning my carbon footprint dies with me.

• sebberry likes this

#10169 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 12:35 PM

I’m sorry, but I have sensitive paperwork on my coffee table at all moments that I cannot store anywhere else except in view of all inhabitants of the house.
  • Nparker, LJ, Matt R. and 6 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10170 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 12:53 PM

I’m sorry, but I have sensitive paperwork on my coffee table at all moments that I cannot store anywhere else except in view of all inhabitants of the house.

We must all remember this loophole when the government comes knocking.
  • Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#10171 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 11:29 PM

2. .... If housing is so tight then why not require people to share? 

more just for sure

https://www.youtube....__Z-Z_Ofs&t=84s

• mbjj likes this

#10172 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 12:33 PM

Looks like Helps is doubling down on her (and her developer buddies) plan to try and re-zone all of Victoria to 6 plex's. Apparently you are now a racist if you don't agree with her and she has the data to prove it!

https://lisahelpsvictoria.ca/

As usual, if you actually research that the Mayor is referencing it quickly becomes apparent that she is misrepresenting the work.

In February of 2021 Berkeley City Council followed Minneapolis, voting 9-0 to remove single family zoning and right the wrongs of the the past

when in fact that article she references says 

The council’s proposal [PDF] starts a process to explore the end of single family zoning by December of 2022, which means expect a lot of vituperative conversations in the next couple of years

Edited by spanky123, 05 December 2021 - 12:47 PM.

#10173 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 12:55 PM

Hey Spanky123, can you help me understand what about the MM policy are you against?

#10174 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 02:15 PM

Looks like Helps is doubling down on her (and her developer buddies) plan to try and re-zone all of Victoria to 6 plex's. Apparently you are now a racist if you don't agree with her...

Guilt and admonishment are her weapons of choice against those who dare to defy her. She's a piece of work for sure.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#10175 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 03:36 PM

Hey Spanky123, can you help me understand what about the MM policy are you against?

Sure.

1. Instead of consultation and dialogue, the Mayor is trying to ram this through, which she admits.

2. Public will have no say into redevelopment which directly impacts them. 

3. City staff will make decisions without oversight or accountability. Potential for abuse as we have seen in other areas.

4. Property prices will increase and not decrease as claimed.

5. Visitor and guest parking will evaporate as streets become parking lots for multiplexes will little onsite parking.

Every measure this Mayor and council have implemented to make housing more affordable has made it less so. No reason to trust them now.

• Nparker, LJ, sebberry and 7 others like this

#10176 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 06:20 PM

What does the likely vote breakdown look like? Here’s what I think:

Pro
- Helps
- Potts
- Dubow
- Alto

Maybe
- Andrew
- T-J
- Loveday

No
- Isitt
- Young

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10177 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:38 AM

What does the likely vote breakdown look like? Here’s what I think:

Pro
- Helps
- Potts
- Dubow
- Alto

Maybe
- Andrew
- T-J
- Loveday

No
- Isitt
- Young

Thornton-Joe will probably go against this one, and I think Andrew is lean against. I think ole' Jerry is going to be the ultimate swing vote. 

#10178 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,948 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:41 AM

Are we sure Alto is for?

#10179 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:46 AM

^^^ If you look at who stands to benefit the most from the zoning changes and who they funded during the last election, it will be a tight vote.

Edited by spanky123, 06 December 2021 - 08:46 AM.

#10180 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 09:02 AM

If Alto wants Helps’ support for a mayoral campaign, then she will likely vote in-step with the mayor from now on outside of votes already going against the mayor.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)