• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#10741 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 02:30 PM

Now we’ve gone to Hitler eh?

Anybody see the Norm McDonald Hitlers dog joke? Classic.

> > https://youtu.be/Ke-i9Hj4vRY

Since we are taking pets and now Hitler.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 January 2022 - 02:32 PM.

#10742 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 02:41 PM

...We are revealed to be a nation of timid, bootlicking, sanctimonious scolds...

Maybe we always were, but it sure it obvious now.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#10743 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 02:45 PM

Go into Twitter and type a search for CERB. See how a huge percentage of the population thinks a perpetual CERB or UBI should be a thing.

We really have turned some people into a permanent welfare class.
  • Nparker, rjag, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

#10744 JimV

JimV
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 03:02 PM

Go into Twitter and type a search for CERB. See how a huge percentage of the population thinks a perpetual CERB or UBI should be a thing.

Inevitable result of woke politics.  It was at least once a controversial view but has now become a mainstream narrative.  Thanks, education system, media and spineless politicians.

#10745 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 03:04 PM

Anyone can have a guaranteed basic income, they just have to work for it.

• LJ and davidN like this

#10746 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 03:05 PM

How many more days until your pension?
  • Matt R. likes this

#10747 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 03:09 PM

How many more days until your pension?

A bit off-topic, but I have 7 more working days. Take that Lisa Helps!

• Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

#10748 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 04:50 PM

When you read how a guaranteed income would be implemented/paid for, the "experts" with the solutions haven't really figured this portion out.  Some propose that all public services would be eliminated, with the population getting a cheque instead.  Other propose a series of new taxes without calling them taxes.  Of course they ignore the fact that people and companies that would pay for all of these free services would simply move. 

#10749 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 05:18 PM

I cannot believe the city is looking to further mess with Clover Point park by adding an additional split rail fence to the north side of the south path, reducing the "dog park component" to a 2 to 3 meter runway between two fences. It is a very bad plan that will waste $150,000 (plus $5,800 a year thereafter) and will cause Clover Point park to be even less useful to many current users of the park. I'll note that those with dogs requiring off leash activity have recently seen such opportunities at local beaches disappear (notably Gonzales beach) as well as the dog park at UVic no longer being available for use. The argument is that pedestrians on the South Path need protection from dogs and that the path is supposed to be "on-leash" - I'll note that the on-leash nature of the path predates the addition of the North multi-use path that was recently installed (along with split rail fence to protect users of the multi-use path from off leash dogs.

City staff do not seem supportive of this plan.

I was just walking my dog at Dallas road and saw a poster about this. It said council were discussing this today.

AJ, Your post was the first I heard of that idea. Do you know how the discussion went?
  • Harry likes this

#10750 Harry

Harry
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 05:45 PM

I cannot believe the city is looking to further mess with Clover Point park by adding an additional split rail fence to the north side of the south path, reducing the "dog park component" to a 2 to 3 meter runway between two fences. It is a very bad plan that will waste $150,000 (plus $5,800 a year thereafter) and will cause Clover Point park to be even less useful to many current users of the park. I'll note that those with dogs requiring off leash activity have recently seen such opportunities at local beaches disappear (notably Gonzales beach) as well as the dog park at UVic no longer being available for use. The argument is that pedestrians on the South Path need protection from dogs and that the path is supposed to be "on-leash" - I'll note that the on-leash nature of the path predates the addition of the North multi-use path that was recently installed (along with split rail fence to protect users of the multi-use path from off leash dogs. 

City staff do not seem supportive of this plan.

Helps has always had several personal plans for Victoria. She has stated that there are a lot of things she wants to get done before shes gone so I would expect to see some incredibly ridiculous spending going on. The projects that will be put in will be done with explanations that will be an excuse for the most part such as The Pandemic, Environmental concerns, global warming, good for the homeless, I have had public requests for this, First nations, reconciliation and so on. I would expect from what I am hearing that we will be seeing an incredible amount of financial juggling, mismanagement this will lead to higher taxes both property and business taxes as well as parking fees etc. Remember the checker board house was removed in beacon hill park and Lisa said it had to go so that a long house could be put in its place yet FN had no idea what she was talking about.
A fair number of larger businesses are looking at leaving Victoria due to taxes and the general cost of doing business in Victoria and moving to the surrounding municipalities.
The city needs to understand that the majority of changes that are happening are being done to keep "friends" and "supporters" happy regardless of what the actual city wants. We have a situation in city hall of "we do what we want." I mean we have a city councilor being on the board and starting a business that is dependent on funding from the city that they or their cronies could vote on getting and used their own city email to solicit money from people that were unaware they had their email being used in this way. not to mention the same councilor was privy to the other bids and what they offered before they submitted theirs and this is only a small example of the morals and ethics being used by many city council members.
Remember one council member spent half a million on a engineering plan for bike lanes on Cook street with out it even being approved as a place to have the lanes.

Victoria has turned into a dog that had a good life then started getting savage beatings so when it only got kicked it thinks its not to bad only getting kicked.

• Nparker, Love the rock, Midnightly and 2 others like this

#10751 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 05:46 PM

I was just walking my dog at Dallas road and saw a poster about this. It said council were discussing this today.

AJ, Your post was the first I heard of that idea. Do you know how the discussion went?

Don't think they made it to that agenda item today. Sounds like all of the time was spent deciding how to divy up the police budget.

• Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

#10752 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 05:54 PM

^ ^ hopefully the rest of council shuts her down.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#10753 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 07:40 PM

No one said UVic had anything to do with CoV. Just that adding up all these new restrictions leaves essentially no room for dogs to romp around.

And just hypothesizing how a normally extremely vocal dog loving Victoria citizenry has gone completely quiet/complacent. Only a hypothesis. Happy to consider any other ones.

What happens if you do let your dog run free? Bylaw writes you a ticket?

If you want to let your dog run free, just go to a muni you don't live in.

• A Girl is No one likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#10754 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 07:42 PM

pets were one of those things people flocked to when covid hit... the average price for a puppy shot up crazy!, even vets/doggy daycares/groomers took notice of the huge jump in pet ownership

Now of course, there is a whole bunch of them available for "rehoming".

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#10755 Harry

Harry
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 12:46 PM

Out of curiosity where have the voting stations been placed in the last three elections including the by-election?

#10756 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 01:22 PM

Also on the topic of voting stations,

Were any voting stations located outside Victoria city boundaries?

If yes, where, and why?

#10757 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 01:53 PM

UVic and Camosun each had voting stations outside of CoV.

#10758 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 01:54 PM

UVic and Camosun each had voting stations outside of CoV.

Were voters at these polling stations made to show proof of CoV residency?

#10759 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 01:55 PM

Yes just like any other poll.

#10760 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 02:01 PM

Was there not also a polling station at Our Place?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users