• 52,343 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 02:48 PM

Same rules as any other poll then.

#10764 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 04:34 PM

Please tell me you are kidding...

Not kidding. I’ve witnessed it at the last muni and last federal elections.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#10765 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 07:36 PM

Not kidding. I’ve witnessed it at the last muni and last federal elections.

To be clear...in order to vouch for someone you MUST live in the same Electoral Poll, not  district, poll , AND you must be on the voters list yourself AND you must swear an oath.

The Vouchee must register to vote (take an oath) and when vouched for take another oath.

You can only vouch for one other person per election (excepting family members)

additionally, if anyone present at the poll objects, you will still be able to vote, but your ballot will be marked, so that should an investigation ensue it can be recognized for whatever the purpose of the investigation.

given all of that, how many people do you really think will risk fines, jail time, etc. and seek to be vouched for ...AND... how many others would risk the same penalties to vouch for someone else?

And lastly, the discretion to allow vouching is left to the poll officer in charge - some of whom are very sharp, and take the process very seriously.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#10766 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 10:31 PM

At the last federal election the two people after me were allowed to vote: he had no ID at all, she had ID but not for the area. She got to vouch for him. They both got to vote.

Edited by A Girl is No one, 25 January 2022 - 10:32 PM.

#10767 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 01:15 AM

At the last federal election the two people after me were allowed to vote: he had no ID at all, she had ID but not for the area. She got to vouch for him. They both got to vote.

Was she on the voters list?

#10768 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 07:38 AM

I believe there are special rules for homeless workers are there not, ie they can vouche for multiple people?
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#10769 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 07:49 AM

I believe there are special rules for homeless workers are there not, ie they can vouche for multiple people?

There may be, but there shouldn't be.

#10770 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 26 January 2022 - 12:56 PM

What happens if you do let your dog run free? Bylaw writes you a ticket?

If you want to let your dog run free, just go to a muni you don't live in.

Mystified by this discussion, and I love dogs and have had many.

The city bylaw says your dog must be on a leash unless you're in a designated dog park. The only exception is if your dog is in control, defined as comes/stops at your first command. This is for the protection of the public and the dogs, not least because so few owners have the experience (or common sense) to train their dog.

Case in point:

I have to kick a dog, hard, on Dallas Road last summer that lunged at my niece. It doesn't matter the whether the dog was being friendly or aggressive - to someone who's afraid of dogs, its the same. The idiotic owner had no control and their dog had to suffer. This happens waaaaaaay too often on Dallas Road and we have serious injuries being reported in the TC. 

• m3m likes this

#10771 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 12:57 PM

I think so but not for that voting station/neighborhood.

#10772 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 12:59 PM

Mystified by this discussion, and I love dogs and have had many.

The city bylaw says your dog must be on a leash unless you're in a designated dog park. The only exception is if your dog is in control, defined as comes/stops at your first command. This is for the protection of the public and the dogs, not least because so few owners have the experience (or common sense) to train their dog.

Case in point:
I have to kick a dog, hard, on Dallas Road last summer that lunged at my niece. It doesn't matter the whether the dog was being friendly or aggressive - to someone who's afraid of dogs, its the same. The idiotic owner had no control and their dog had to suffer. This happens waaaaaaay too often on Dallas Road and we have serious injuries being reported in the TC.

Then you fine or sue these people.
Not letting dogs play and socialize off leash will lead to less well-adapted canines and lead to more issues.
Why punish everyone for the few bad apples?

#10773 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 26 January 2022 - 03:08 PM

Then you fine or sue these people.
Not letting dogs play and socialize off leash will lead to less well-adapted canines and lead to more issues.
Why punish everyone for the few bad apples?

Nothing is stopping dogs from roaming free in dog parks.

Way more than few when I walk on Dallas Road! The number of people who bizarrely assume you're thrilled to meet their precious fur-baby is mind-boggling. Sad for the dogs.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#10774 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,343 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 03:33 PM

The number of people who bizarrely assume you're thrilled to meet their precious fur-baby is mind-boggling. Sad for the dogs.

I agree with this somewhat.  I'm generally fine meeting dogs, and they do not scare me on approach. 

But I also do not think it's fair or respectful for people to let their dogs just go nuts towards strangers.

• Mike K. likes this

#10775 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 04:02 PM

There may be, but there shouldn't be.

For federal elections shelters and the like can issue a special i.d. form "proof of residence" and that, together with a oiece of i.d. will allow their clients to vote at the poll in their district

only if a special mobile poll is set up at a facility could a worker vouch for residents - very similar to homes for the aged and infirm where special polls are set up for a few hours on a specified day so that residents can vote and the care workers can vouch for and assist in thus circumstance

occasionally workers in care homes are deignated as returning officers and conduct the poll themselves - but only under special (controlled) circumstances

#10776 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 04:06 PM

I think so but not for that voting station/neighborhood.

if so, then it should not have been allowed

having said that, due to the combination of a snap election call, some quirks in the distrubution  (timing) of mail-in ballots to students and the removal of temporary polls at university campuses, the extremely heavy turnout at several polls resulted in a more relaxed approach to students voting this past election

#10777 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 05:37 PM

I will never forgive the federal Liberals nor the provincial NDP for calling unnecessary elections during the pandemic.

#10778 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 02:47 PM

The plan to rezone all of Victoria to allow six-plexes and for City staff to make development decisions has passed council and will now proceed to a public hearing. Vote was 4:3 with Andrew, CTJ and Young against. Helps and Dubow did not attend the meeting. This is going to be hard to derail. Kudos to Stephen for pointing out that one of the main responsibilities of council was to make decisions on land use and not to pass that authority to staff. 

It was noted that Mayor Helps' father passed away earlier this week. As much as dislike the Mayor's decisions and actions, that does not extend to her personally or to her family. I am very sorry to hear of her loss and send my regrets.

Edited by spanky123, 27 January 2022 - 02:47 PM.

• John M., Awaiting Juno and newbie_01 like this

#10779 m3m

m3m
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 04:26 PM

Kudos to Stephen for pointing out that one of the main responsibilities of council was to make decisions on land use and not to pass that authority to staff

Never heard of this before? Where is it codified?

#10780 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,343 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 04:35 PM

Never heard of this before? Where is it codified?

It's the way it is done.

Municipal council responsibilities

Municipal councils are empowered to address the existing and future needs of their community by making collective decisions that are recorded in bylaws or resolutions. Each member of council, including the mayor, is entitled to one vote on matters that come before them for discussion and decision. Such matters are wide-ranging--for example, regulatory bylaws such as animal control, services such as fire and police, land use regulation such as zoning, fees and property tax bylaws, and key plans such as the official community plan and five year financial plan (budget).

Ultimately, municipal councils are responsible for the delivery of local services to their community and the actions taken by the municipality. As municipalities are legislatively recognized by the B.C. government as an order of government with in their jurisdiction, these responsibilities are undertaken largely independently with limited oversight by other levels of government. Certain decisions made by council are not effective until they are approved or authorized by the provincial government, such as long-term borrowing bylaws or municipal boundary changes.

https://www2.gov.bc....yor-councillors

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 January 2022 - 04:36 PM.

• Nparker and Harry like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users