City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#11741 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,790 posts

Posted 05 August 2022 - 02:17 PM

So did anyone tune in to the Thursday Night Circus at city hall? I would have but I needed to watch clothes tumbling in my dryer. Impressions?

Nobody on either side said all too much that was compelling.

#11742 LJ

LJ
  • 12,719 posts

Posted 05 August 2022 - 06:57 PM

Nobody on either side said all too much that was compelling.

Just have the electorate vote on it at the October elections.

• Barrrister likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#11743 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 05 August 2022 - 07:18 PM

Just have the electorate vote on it at the October elections.

Lisa only has until October 15 to get this on her CV.

#11744 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 06 August 2022 - 07:09 AM

Have seen the commentary on the MMHI public hearing - was unable to attend because I had a wedding to go to, but I did write in my views on it. I'll note that it highlights how dysfunctional our public discourse is at this point in time. It's frustrating because it would appear that in every way we can be divided (where we live, how much we earn, how we get around, our housing tenure, our age) we have been divided. We've lost the ability to have a real conversation and to really focus on solving problems in ways that don't involve inflicting pain on others.

The conclusion I've been able to draw is that: there are many worthwhile elements to the MMHI however, as a whole it is fatally flawed and will fail to address the core problem that is being faced in this region (locally attainable affordable housing), while having real risks of exacerbating that same problem (via displacement and land lift). A bite-sized pieces approach, with each bite being clearly communicated and understood is likely to be more effective. Also clear: we need better data on our existing housing supply and demand.

• LJ, grantpalin, A Girl is No one and 4 others like this

#11745 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,790 posts

Posted 06 August 2022 - 07:14 AM

It's frustrating because it would appear that in every way we can be divided (where we live, how much we earn, how we get around, our housing tenure, our age) we have been divided. We've lost the ability to have a real conversation and to really focus on solving problems in ways that don't involve inflicting pain on others.

Yup.

• Barrrister likes this

#11746 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,790 posts

Posted 06 August 2022 - 07:16 AM

Also clear: we need better data on our existing housing supply and demand.

This is also true.  How many of the X number of properties this will apply to already has 2 or more living units?  Turns out it's likely many more than we thought.

See this Saanich home that suffered the fireFive tenants the news piece tells us.  In a "SFD".

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 August 2022 - 07:17 AM.

• Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#11747 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,790 posts

Posted 06 August 2022 - 01:01 PM

Comment: From Victoria City Hall, a case study of how not to govern

A commentary by the vice-chair of Grumpy Taxpayer$ of Greater Victoria, a citizens advocacy group for municipal taxpayers.

https://www.timescol...-govern-5666472

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 August 2022 - 01:02 PM.

• Barrrister likes this

#11748 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,790 posts

Posted 06 August 2022 - 01:51 PM

This is also true. How many of the X number of properties this will apply to already has 2 or more living units? Turns out it's likely many more than we thought.

See this Saanich home that suffered the fire. Five tenants the news piece tells us. In a "SFD".

Or six residents. Hard to know the truth. Most media have it wrong. And we do not know how many live together domestically.

One of the house’s six residents had been asleep when the fire erupted – but made it out with no injuries. Firefighters arrived on scene shortly after 8 a.m. to extinguish the fire.

https://www.vicnews....aze-in-saanich/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 August 2022 - 01:52 PM.

#11749 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,997 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 04:35 AM

The conclusion I've been able to draw is that: there are many worthwhile elements to the MMHI however, as a whole it is fatally flawed and will fail to address the core problem that is being faced in this region (locally attainable affordable housing), while having real risks of exacerbating that same problem (via displacement and land lift). A bite-sized pieces approach, with each bite being clearly communicated and understood is likely to be more effective. Also clear: we need better data on our existing housing supply and demand.

Let’s remember, had Helps had her way this would have been pushed through in January with no consultation!

The reason why the public is so divided on this is that the issue has been framed as class warfare between the have houses and the have nots. If you are twenty and can’t afford a house or condo in downtown Victoria on your blogging income it is because the world is unfair and not because you spent your time and money on a useless UVIC degree. You need Helps and TV to take on the ‘man/woman’ for you to put their thumbs on the scales of social justice. Although that approach will work well for their social justice careers, it won’t do anything to resolve the core issue.
  • Nparker, LJ, phx and 3 others like this

#11750 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,790 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 04:44 AM

If you are twenty and can’t afford a house or condo in downtown Victoria on your blogging income it is because the world is unfair and not because you spent your time and money on a useless UVIC degree. 

screenshot-www.youtube.com-2022.08.07-08_43_28.png

https://youtu.be/6LUz9QpB_ms

Maybe Leah and Levi have jumped the shark a bit.  Of their 30 most popular videos, only 1 was created in the past year.   Most are 1, 2, 3 and 4 years old.

They do continue to take in $1,316/mo. just on Patreon though.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 August 2022 - 04:50 AM.

#11751 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 11:00 AM

Is TV still a thing?

It would appear that they spent $40K on Hardman’s campaign… and then crickets.

#11752 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 11:03 AM

I don’t think so. If it was, it would be behind Kim, who was a board member, and is now running for council.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11753 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 11:13 AM

I suspect a form of TV still exists, just not in an "official" capacity. There will certainly be some sort of coordinated effort to get the woke/SJW candidates onto the next council.

#11754 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,790 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 11:15 AM

Why did TV break down? Why were they only around for one full election and one by-election? Seems weak.

They were very successful in 2018.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 August 2022 - 11:16 AM.

#11755 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 11:19 AM

I’m certain it didn’t help for securing volunteers to have Collins elected, and within a year see her give away TV’s one vote advantage with Isitt and Loveday.

The brand was so tarnished by the time the by-election rolled around that now the one former TV board member running for council doesn’t mention the organization.
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11756 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 12:30 PM

So Collins basically blew up the political party that funded and supported her rise to fame and power.

#11757 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 12:32 PM

It came crashing down basically just after it got started. It was so perfect, too. Five votes. Clear sailing ahead.

Then wham, it was over as soon as it started.

Know it all.

#11758 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 01 September 2022 - 01:59 AM

Screenshot 2022-09-01 02.55.14.png

• Nparker, phx, lanforod and 3 others like this

#11759 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,997 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 11:33 AM

Any updates of the future direction of our large, retiring group of elected City officials? The half life of a municipal Mayor and Councilor is pretty short so they should be out pounding the pavement at this point.

I know SD received a refugee scholarship at Oxford but anything on the rest?

#11760 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,790 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 04:06 AM

City of Victoria backs $14M plan to upgrade park bathrooms
An audit found the vast majority of the city’s 18 public-park washrooms — more than half of which were built more than 50 years ago — need extensive upgrades to address accessibility barriers.

Coun. Chris Coleman voted against asking staff to start work on the plan, saying he wanted the work done within a couple of years rather than seven.

“I think this is a priority,” he said. “I am very aware that that puts some other projects at risk because we won’t have the financial capacity to do it, but this is about including all the citizens and giving them access.”

Coun. Matt Dell agreed, saying the city “needs to be more accessible, and we have a long way to go on this.”

Mayor Marianne Alto suggested council could always speed things up if the project rises to the top of the to-do list during strategic planning sessions.

Coun. Jeremy Caradonna said he wasn’t convinced the work was a priority, calling $14 million an “absolutely massive” capital investment.

“We’re facing an historic budgetary challenge this year. We’re talking about raising property taxes by nine per cent and I’m concerned that we’re not investing in the right things,” he said.

https://www.timescol...throoms-6414605

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users