Photo

BC's Sergeant-at-Arms and Clerk of the Legislative Assembly placed on leave

• Please log in to reply
543 replies to this topic

#301 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:40 PM

I can't believe there isn't already a process where a financial controler has to certify the expenses are pursuant to treasury board regulations in order for payment to be issued.

Edited by Mattjvd, 22 January 2019 - 01:40 PM.

#302 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:53 PM

Said the G&M commentator who has clearly never been to Quebec.

Well they did miss mentioning billions in money laundering so...

#303 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:56 PM

Hmmm, and I wonder who approved MLA's, etc not having FOI's on their expenses?  These are the levels where they need to be heavily scrutinized

I would agree, I am not suggesting secretaries, project managers, etc have their expenses reviewed.  I can't see their bosses approving a new suit or a wood chipper.  Its the senior levels that I think that need to be reviewed, especially ones where they can sign their own expenses.  IMO there should always be a review of expenses by someone higher up, like the Premier reviewing James and Lenz.  Even the Premier by perhaps the Auditor Generals office as an idea

Higher up? I think I'd like the janitor reviewing them please and thank you.

#304 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:57 PM

Word on the street (Belleville St. to be precise) is that there is a whole lot more of this to come from Plecas, and it involves a whole lot more people.

Yup and will explain why he did not bring this to the attention of any 'committees' or the 2 currently in the media who are currently in question. Things are going to go BOOM.

#305 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 02:30 PM

Perhaps the additional attention to Government expenses will encourage local Mayors and Councillors to post their expense details now as well.

#306 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 02:34 PM

Yup and will explain why he did not bring this to the attention of any 'committees' or the 2 currently in the media who are currently in question. Things are going to go BOOM.

Didn't James threaten that if anyone inquired he'd unleash dirt on the Liberals? If true, that would seem to justify Plecas' use of outside investigators with zero ties to any politician.

EDIT: I'm not sure but I think Lenz & James' expenses are reviewed by their own staff, not anyone above them?

Edited by Rob Randall, 22 January 2019 - 02:38 PM.

• VIResident likes this

#307 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 02:36 PM

Perhaps the additional attention to Government expenses will encourage local Mayors and Councillors to post their expense details now as well.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL  and what of those Councillors who for instance did not run in the last election yet one month before their term was up they packed up for a last hooha at UBCM on the taxpayers dime?  I mentioned this to someone on council and they said 'oh, because they are 'experienced' they have lots to offer UBCM" I kid you not.

• RFS likes this

#308 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 02:39 PM

You're commenting as if you have information others don't.
Of course you don't have information that others don't, so you have no idea what (if anything) preceded this decision to involve the RCMP, and dismiss the two accused.

You don't know what the previous government did or didn't do, just as you've got no idea what the current government has, or doesn't have in terms of evidence to support the case against the two accused.
You're forming your opinion based on guesses as to what's going (or has gone) on.
.......And I'm doing the same.

No, I know precisely that the previous government did nothing because they in fact did nothing (or at least so close to nothing that it clearly made no impact on curbing the behaviour).
And I know that the current government is doing something because, well they are doing something (on leave, referred to police, external audit)

Not sure where the room for confusion is here.

Edited by LeoVictoria, 22 January 2019 - 02:40 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#309 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 02:58 PM

Capture.JPG

• Nparker, todd and VIResident like this

#310 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 03:05 PM

I hope you are not suggesting any of our fine local elected officials have a free-spending, out-of-touch, entitled approach. I mean it's not as if the mayor was demanding a 130k flunky or merrily shovelling money of a truck to reward a sexual harrasser...

#311 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 03:35 PM

I hope you are not suggesting any of our fine local elected officials have a free-spending, out-of-touch, entitled approach. I mean it's not as if the mayor was demanding a 130k flunky or merrily shovelling money of a truck to reward a sexual harrasser...

I happened to notice that Mayor Helps had $22K in expenses last year while Mayor Fortin averaged about $5K.

#312 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 03:42 PM

I happened to notice that Mayor Helps had $22K in expenses last year while Mayor Fortin averaged about $5K.

Saving the world is more expensive than it used to be.

• Mike K., LJ, sdwright.vic and 1 other like this

#313 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 06:20 PM

No, I know precisely that the previous government did nothing because they in fact did nothing (or at least so close to nothing that it clearly made no impact on curbing the behaviour).
And I know that the current government is doing something because, well they are doing something (on leave, referred to police, external audit)

Not sure where the room for confusion is here.

The “government” has a much to do with this investigation as aliens have to do with Victoria’s real-estate prices.

Didn't the current government claim it had no idea what was going on? Horgan even made a now famous remark regarding how he was completely in the dark.

I mean just days ago Plecas was a laughing stock facing a petition to have him removed. Now he’s a hero and the “government” is doing something about the spending? A huh.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#314 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 06:42 PM

Does the legislature still have any wood burning fireplaces?
Maybe he was going to split the wood himself thus saving taxpayers money.

See I told you: https://www.oakbayne...ewood-splitter/

Edited by todd, 22 January 2019 - 06:43 PM.

#315 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 06:46 PM

Since that log splitter already comes on a “trailer” what was the $10,000 trailer for?
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#316 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 06:58 PM

Since that log splitter already comes on a “trailer” what was the $10,000 trailer for?

Log splitter trailer doesn’t appear to be able to be used for anything else, I’m assuming the trailer is to haul the wood to the legislature that he generously grew on his own property split himself hauled with his own vehicle(I assume) and skill.

#317 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:00 PM

The in-laws 

#318 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:01 PM

Ah, that would be your Wallenstein WX540L. Nice model. I see we taxpayers splurged a little extra for the optional installed tail light kit. You don't want to cheap out on a rig like this.

https://www.wallenst...en/model/wx540l

#319 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:13 PM

Meanwhile us average plebs tend to settle for wood splitters in the $400-$700 range.

Good grief.

Know it all.

#320 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:25 PM

Are rats passing for average these days?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users