Photo

Laurel Point Park remediation

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 11:42 AM

They're very busy doing the remediation. All the trees were cleared a few weeks ago. Piles were driven to hold two barges in place. One barge is pinned between piles and anchored to the shore. A second barge abuts the anchored one. Trucks dump soil at the end of the anchored barge. An excavator transfers the soil to the middle of the movable barge. A front end loader on the barge distributes the soil out toward either end.

A crane and barge have been positioned at the east side of the site. It isn't clear to me if it will be used in a similar setup as the west side of the site.

Attached Images

• IMG_20181121_112451.jpg
  • IMG_20181121_112506.jpg
  • IMG_20181121_112500.jpg

• Bingo likes this

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 11:44 AM

Thanks for that. This is significantly more involved than I had ever imagined it would be. 

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 03:09 PM

Bapco 1.jpg

http://vintageairpho...com/bo-47-1454/

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#4 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 04:55 PM

Thanks for that. This is significantly more involved than I had ever imagined it would be. 

I wonder how much riprap and fill was added to the north side of the hotel without ever remediating the land? Will they need to tunnel under the Laurel Point Inn to complete the job?

#5 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 05:01 PM

They're very busy doing the remediation. All the trees were cleared a few weeks ago. Piles were driven to hold two barges in place. One barge is pinned between piles and anchored to the shore. A second barge abuts the anchored one. Trucks dump soil at the end of the anchored barge. An excavator transfers the soil to the middle of the movable barge. A front end loader on the barge distributes the soil out toward either end.

A crane and barge have been positioned at the east side of the site. It isn't clear to me if it will be used in a similar setup as the west side of the site.

It looks like an excavator is in the area where the pond used to be.

post-3197-0-85521000-1542829254.jpg

#6 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,508 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 05:52 PM

I don't think you grew up here did you Mike? I did and as a kid well remember the ecological dead zone that was the entire harbour - outer, inner and upper - back in the 60's when the combination of the old Vic Plywood mill at what is now the Jutland Road offices, the log booms tied up at what is now the Railyards and Dockside, the Victoria Machinery Depot and the BAPCO paint site - all combined to create a foul stench the likes of which you cannot imagine. 

The water, especially in the Gorge and inner harbour often had the color and consistency of pea soup. It was in a word, nauseating. I'm not the least bit surprised at the extent of the toxic bomb sitting astride Laurel Point. In addition to paint I believe the same facility was used to manufacture soap. Compared to 40-50 years ago the water quality in the harbour and especially the Gorge today is nothing short of pristine. Back then I wouldn't have thrown my worst enemy's dog into that water....

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 06:22 PM

I sure did grow up here, but the Songhees et al along the Gorge and Upper Harbour were already being reclaimed. I vaguely remember the waterfront lands along the Songhees as barren industrial lots.

In fact the area at the Bayview site that is yet to be developed is literally in the same condition today as it was 30 years ago.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,508 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 06:31 PM

I sure did grow up here, but the Songhees et al along the Gorge and Upper Harbour were already being reclaimed. I vaguely remember the waterfront lands along the Songhees as barren industrial lots.

In fact the area at the Bayview site that is yet to be developed is literally in the same condition today as it was 30 years ago.

...try 50 years ago. Trust me, I was there...  :)

Edited by AllseeingEye, 21 November 2018 - 06:32 PM.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 06:35 PM

lol, yup.

Know it all.

#10 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,220 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 07:37 PM

...In fact the area at the Bayview site that is yet to be developed is literally in the same condition today as it was 30 years ago.

And most of Rock Bay will probably still be a wasteland a generation from now - or worse - under built with too little density.  :(

#11 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,508 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 11:06 PM

/\.......my bus in the morning goes over the Bay St bridge and right by Rock Bay (waterfront); in spite of however many hundreds or thousands of truckloads of crud was taken off that site a few years ago in the initial stages of remediation of the old coal plant, if you look at the rocks on the foreshore - all of them were "new" at the time, dumped there right after the contaminated soil was removed - you can see all of them are already covered in a thick black viscous film, likely more of the crap coming to the surface.

I've been told within the old plant itself there is a minimum of two meters of contaminated soil in the immediate area of the structure and directly below it. I suspect it'll be decades, possibly several generations, before that area will be truly safe to build on, particularly structures intended for human habitation.

#12 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 05:35 PM

Victoria, BC—The Greater Victoria Harbour Authority (GVHA) has achieved the highest ranking in the Clean Marine BC program, an eco-certification program run by Georgia Strait Alliance.

With GVHA’s new five-anchor ratings at four marinas, the program’s top ranked recreational boating facilities now total eight.

GVHA is taking proactive measures to clean up Victoria Inner Harbour, identified as the most polluted coastal waterway in Victoria Foundation’s annual Vital Signs report.

https://www.gvha.ca/...nMarine2018.pdf

#13 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 01:43 PM

The second barge gets a ramp.

Attached Images

• IMG_20181130_133822.jpg

#14 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 07:22 AM

Current remediation work. They've done a lot of infill with new material, but they are still taking away barge loads of soil.

Attached Images

• IMG_20190327_080258.jpg
  • IMG_20190327_080302.jpg
  • IMG_20190327_080306.jpg

• todd likes this

#15 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,233 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:15 AM

What worries me is that the site will be turned back over to the City of Victoria once the work is done. And there is no firm plan for the Foster walkway or how they are going to deal with it. This should have been coordinated so that once the remediation is done, we should have had a fully developed pathway to tie into the David Foster pathway.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:59 AM

Yup, that would have been the way to go about it.

Thanks for the photos, laconic!

Know it all.

#17 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:21 AM

The gangway and barge dock is being removed. It appears they are getting close to having all the fill they need.

Attached Images

• IMG_20190424_091143.jpg
  • IMG_20190424_091147.jpg

• Mike K. and Kungsberg like this

#18 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 24 April 2019 - 12:48 PM

What worries me is that the site will be turned back over to the City of Victoria once the work is done. And there is no firm plan for the Foster walkway or how they are going to deal with it. This should have been coordinated so that once the remediation is done, we should have had a fully developed pathway to tie into the David Foster pathway.

Other than general disdain for the competence of city staff, what makes you think there isn't a plan and/or that it somehow won't, "tie into the David Foster pathway"?

I walked down there all the time before remediation started and the pathway tied in just fine.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#19 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,233 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:27 PM

Well for one thing, the plan called for the bridges at Raymer Point and Heron Cove to begin at the start of 2017. That's gone nowhere. There is also supposed to be one of the "special places" at Laurel Point. I haven't heard anything about that. And I thought I read that the City would be deciding how to proceed after they are handed the land, with the work done. Do you know of a plan for dealing with Laurel Point once the work is done this Fall?

• Nparker likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#20 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:37 PM

^ The bridges were postponed because they City only received one construction bid, which was $1M over the requested budget. via https://www.cbc.ca/n...ction-1.4114451

As for the rest of Laurel Point, the City website gives no details other than to say that staff will start working on a park improvement plan after the remediation project is finished. One would have thought the City would be working on the plan concurrent with the larger project, so that at completion we have a finished park instead of a gravel trail with no frills landscaping.

• Hotel Mike and thundergun like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users