Laurel Point Park remediation

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#41 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:08 PM

This significant lobby renovation will see the vision of renowned architect Arthur Erickson fully realized at Inn at Laurel Point. The renewal will join our Erickson and Laurel wings together in a completely new arrival experience, including a brand-new driveway, entryway, lobby, and ground floor meeting and event spaces. We have also taken this opportunity to refresh & renew our garden.

Work began in October and we anticipate a full renewal by fall 2019. Some amenities will be limited, our Aura waterfront restaurant will be closed, however, we will offer our inn-house guests a seasonal menu at breakfast and dinner in our dining room and through In Room Dining.

https://www.laurelpo...t-renewal-2019/

#42 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,510 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:11 PM

Its the "beautiful inner harbour" schtick that always gets me, especially when referring to that time-frame...

Just so that I've got it straight "tall" buildings whether now, or in 1978, are/were a bad thing in part because they would presumably ruin the ambiance and character of the "beautiful harbour....?" Do they mean the harbour that among many other world class attractions boasted:

• An oil tank farm plunked literally at the very entrance to said harbour? To be honest I've never really understood the attraction or tourist potential of oil tank farms, but if the NIMBY's say so....
  • An ugly, dreary, apocalyptic post industrial landscape on the Vic West side of the harbour that looked like a dress rehearsal for WWIII had been held there....
  • The utter cesspool that was and is the Rock Bay waterway and foreshore, (still) one of the most heavily polluted sites in all of Western Canada.....
  • A plywood mill further up along the Upper Harbour at Jutland that combined with the other "industrial" harbour operations of the time (Victoria Machinery Depot etc.,) literally poured all manner of industrial crap, pollution and s*** directly into said harbour, resulting in the toxic soup we've been forced to finally deal with in the last decade or so...
  • And further along towards the Gorge a waterway so vile and fouled and polluted by said aforementioned activities it most closely resembled and smelled like an open third world sewer particularly in warmer weather....
  • And - FINALLY, lest we forget - the Laurel Point site itself, previously a paint factory - perched right on the very doorstep of our "pristine, world class harbour". And, just for good measure/cherry on top, said paint facility also simultaneously housed a soap manufacturing business. Go Google the industrial crapulence involved in producing soap - the remnants of that combined enterprise BTW were dumped directly into said harbour....

.....so,...yeah.....that "beautiful harbour!?"

Because if that is what is being defended and touted as "old time Victoria charm and character" I'd fight tooth and nail to ensure exactly opposite happens, taller buildings and all.....

• Nparker and Hotel Mike like this

#43 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:32 PM

An oil tank farm plunked literally at the very entrance to said harbour? To be honest I've never really understood the attraction or tourist potential of oil tank farms...

Here's a bit more about tank farms and their association with tourism:

Plans revamped for luxury hotel
Daily Colonist
August 9, 1979

Revised plans for a 300-room luxury hotel at Victoria's Inner Harbor were announced Wednesday by Oakcrest Park Estates Ltd.

The $20 million hotel is to be built on the north side of the Inner Harbor adjacent to the tank farm.

The concept calls for a five-storey terraced structure with most of the rooms offering a view of the city.

Included in the design is a seawalk accessible to the public.

...the company planned to start construction in the fall and complete the project by May 1, 1981...

Erickson said the design is in harmony with the city's character, particularly that of Old Town and the Wharf Street cityscape.

Edited by aastra, 12 June 2019 - 05:33 PM.

#44 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:54 AM

Temporary fencing has been installed. It appears the pathway will be open while landscaping is established

I would have guessed they would have paved the pathway before setting up fencing, so the pathway may remain crushed stone.

Attached Images

• IMG_20190615_090021.jpg
  • IMG_20190615_090026.jpg

#45 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 04:09 PM

Oh oh. Is that fence in the verge of collapse?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#46 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:26 PM

I assume they’re seeding it? I hope they don’t stay with crushed gravel. Not accessible for those in wheelchairs or using walkers. Plus it makes my fancy shoes dusty, so can’t have that.
  • Hotel Mike likes this

#47 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 June 2019 - 05:40 AM

Oh oh. Is that fence in the verge of collapse?

I think that's a floating boom anchored at both ends, and the tides out which is leaving it "dangling".

#48 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 05:46 AM

They are supports for the fence. They are anchored to the ground on the grass-to-be side of the fence and to the middle of the fence segments.

#49 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 05:46 AM

i think he just meant the fencing has a pretty distinct outward slant to it.

#50 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 06:36 AM

The fence is nicely vertical. The supports are angled.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 06:38 AM

Ah, that’s what it is.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#52 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 08:25 AM

Will the big pond be restored? That was my favorite area.

• Nparker likes this

#53 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:27 AM

The pathway is open.

#54 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:32 AM

The pathway is open.

It will be years before this area regains its former ambience.

#55 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,233 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 12:42 PM

I still can't believe that they aren't intending to surface the walkway. Strollers, wheelchairs, walkers?

• Nparker and Kungsberg like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#56 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:05 PM

Jackerbie addressed this last week.  The gravel pathway is temporary.  Now that they have this laid out they will start planning what the finished product is going to look like.

• Hotel Mike likes this

#57 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,676 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:18 PM

The finished product should of been planned from the get go.

I am honestly getting tired of, its will look like this, but wait we spent to much money so it will now look like this.

If you got me to buy in, its over, then freaking make it over and deliver in s promise.

After all the impending kids are the ones paying for this stuff because of the way we budget shite.

They need to work hard for those free bus passes... i want pretty now.
  • Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#58 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:45 AM

The gravel is pretty fine grade and compacted. I would say no problem with a stroller, but I wouldn't want to push a wheelchair on it.

The old asphalted pathway is still there in the section closest to town.  Maybe that was the limit of the area that needed the soil remediation and that's why the Feds remediation effort stopped there (?), and now it's over to COV to finish.  It's an amazing spot, they really need to do a top job here and not delay it.

Laurel Point Hotel have been doing their own renos, and are still working on their updated entry.

Attached Images

• IMG_2612.jpg
  • IMG_2613.jpg
  • IMG_2614.jpg
  • IMG_2615.jpg
  • IMG_2616.jpg
  • IMG_2617.jpg
  • IMG_2618.jpg

#59 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:26 AM

They are hydroseeding today.

#60 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:30 AM

Ack. Not even using turf.  :(

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users