Photo

Laurel Point Park remediation

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#101 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:06 PM

According to the plaque the cannon was donated to the City by Delta Hotels to mark the opening of the Laurel Point Inn. It's not part of the maritime history of the harbour...

I am not sure that makes it any less a part of the site's history.

#102 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:10 PM

When did it become Vibrant Victoria canon to debate whether the Laurel Point cannon is an authentic element in the Inner Harbour canon? It's uncanny how many times we've talked about this. If only we could hire a famous TV detective (somebody like William Conrad) to investigate and settle the matter...

#103 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:13 PM

As usual, you're bang-on aastra.

#104 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:18 PM

I knew somebody would take a shot at me for that. Hey, check it out:

Daily Colonist
April 1, 1978

Delta opens an hotel in Victoria designed to make you feel more like a person than a room number

Today at noon, when the Laurel Point cannon fires for the first time, a unique hotel will open in a unique city.

Delta's Victoria Laurel Point Inn.

An hotel we confidently predict will become famous.

As its name implies, Delta's Laurel Point Inn is situated on its own park-like peninsula jutting out into Victoria's beautiful Inner Harbour.

Unlike many new hotels which advertise their presence with high-rise towers that stick out like sore thumbs, Delta's Laurel Point Inn reflects and blends with its surroundings.

Instead of having over a thousand rooms, exterior elevators and revolving restaurants, it has a quiet, tasteful appearance and rooms and suites on only four floors..

In other words, Delta's new Laurel Point Inn is built on a human scale.

You definitely wouldn't want a really huge hotel with hundreds of rooms right there on the Inner Harbour. It wouldn't reflect or blend with its surroundings. It wouldn't be human scale.

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#105 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:31 PM

I didn't mean to shoot my mouth off. It's true I can be a bit of a loose cannon. Please don't come gunning for me. I know you're of a higher calibre than that.

#106 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:56 PM

The mods here tend to be large bores and they're known for their short fuses so let's leave it at that. When they read the past few posts I expect them to recoil and bring in the big guns.

Not that I harbour any resentment.

• sdwright.vic likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users