Laurel Point Park remediation

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#61 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:50 PM

I'm not sure about that lobby rendering. How are they going to get all that water view, unless they completely remove the restaurant section, Aura?

I also understand that the new lobby will integrate the new building with the old, in line with Erickson's vision supposedly. It's a fantastic property, and the Erickson wing is gorgeous. I think the new entrance and restaurant will really kick the Laurel Point Inn up a notch.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#62 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,770 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:56 PM

It's such a shame that the environment around the hotel has been kicked down many notches. A few blades of grass and some immature trees are not going to replace what has been lost...at least not for a long time.

#63 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:13 PM

I'm not sure about that lobby rendering. How are they going to get all that water view, unless they completely remove the restaurant section, Aura?

I also understand that the new lobby will integrate the new building with the old, in line with Erickson's vision supposedly. It's a fantastic property, and the Erickson wing is gorgeous. I think the new entrance and restaurant will really kick the Laurel Point Inn up a notch.

The overhead view shows the flow and layout better

Laurel-Point-Inn-top-down-rendering-696x

#64 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,291 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 20 June 2019 - 05:28 PM

The City of Victoria will embark on a park improvement project once the feds complete their remediation work.

$10 million Inn at Laurel Point renewal scheduled for fall completion as feds enter final phase of Laurel Point soil clean-up

https://victoria.cit...-soil-clean-up/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#65 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:17 PM

Ack. Not even using turf.  :(

Yeah hydro-seeding just doesn't work when it's not irrigated - and it looks awful.  The areas around the west approach to the JSB have been hyrdo-seeded, more than once in some places, and except for the new landscaping by the overpass, look like this bank on the east side which was hydro-seeded this past winter.

48101070353_68c0ea8c00_k.jpg

Edited by Gary H, 20 June 2019 - 08:22 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#66 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:53 AM

Thanks for that overhead shot Jackerbie. Forgive me for being dense, but I still wonder where the old Aura space is.

#67 aastra

aastra
  • 20,761 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:54 AM

Forgive me for being dense...

Come on. This is VV.

Nobody forgives anybody here.

#68 aastra

aastra
  • 20,761 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:55 AM

The areas around the west approach to the JSB have been hyrdo-seeded, more than once in some places, and except for the new landscaping by the overpass, look like this bank on the east side which was hydro-seeded this past winter.

It's bad enough that they've added a bunch of useless green space, but it's even worse because the green space isn't actually green.

Edited by aastra, 21 June 2019 - 08:56 AM.

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#69 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:31 AM

Thanks for that overhead shot Jackerbie. Forgive me for being dense, but I still wonder where the old Aura space is.

Aura stays more or less as is, I think. Looks like there's a little bit carved out to widen the hallway, but most of the work seems to be on expanding the small lobby at the roundabout. The roof line of Aura is shown in red, below.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

#70 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:41 PM

Hmm. Thanks. I walked by there today and work was proceeding at a furious pace. But we couldn't continue on the seaside walkway from the downtown side. Still fencing up to stop you. I'm sure it will look spiffy when it's all done.

#71 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,770 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 12:45 PM

I am setting my expectations low.

...The City plans on transforming the grassy space into a waterfront park space for residents and tourists alike. Priorities will likely include, Helps said, pedestrian creativity, play space and local wildlife support. The City will launch a six-month park design phase in September, which will include opportunities for the public to share ideas...

https://www.vicnews....rk-in-victoria/

Just restore it to the way it was before.

#72 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:55 PM

Hope they plant some fast-growing trees. I loved to sit there on the grass underneath them on a warm day. I don't need pedestrian creativity, whatever the heck that is.

• Nparker likes this

#73 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,770 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:57 PM

Personally, I am looking forward to the play space.

#74 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 July 2019 - 03:12 PM

Hope they plant some fast-growing trees. I loved to sit there on the grass underneath them on a warm day. I don't need pedestrian creativity, whatever the heck that is.

Voici au Montréal

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

• thundergun likes this

#75 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,770 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 03:31 PM

:confused:  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:

#76 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 01:03 PM

The pond has returned.

There is still a large pile of landscaping dirt at the west end, but it looks like they're getting close to being finished. The fence is still up so no pedestrian access yet.

Attached Images

• IMG_20191007_135816.jpg

#77 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:28 AM

The City will rename this park Peter Pollen Waterfront Park.

VICTORIA, BC — This month the City will dedicate an expanded waterfront park honouring former Mayor of Victoria Peter Pollen. This park will embody Pollen’s vision that the harbour should be accessible for all residents.

The area currently known as Laurel Point Park – now a three-acre park space expanded with land recently transferred from the federal government – will become Peter Pollen Waterfront Park.

“A lot of the way Victoria looks and feels today can be attributed to the vision and leadership of Peter Pollen,” said Mayor Lisa Helps. “I had an opportunity to meet Peter shortly after being elected and was moved by the passion and dedication he still had for public access to the harbour and the importance of public spaces. It’s fitting that we name this waterfront park in his honour.”

• tedward likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#78 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:32 AM

Here's the full press release:

Waterfront Park to Honour Former Victoria Mayor Peter Pollen
Date: Tuesday, October 8, 2019 For Immediate Release

VICTORIA, BC — This month the City will dedicate an expanded waterfront park honouring former Mayor of Victoria Peter Pollen. This park will embody Pollen’s vision that the harbour should be accessible for all residents.

The area currently known as Laurel Point Park – now a three-acre park space expanded with land recently transferred from the federal government – will become Peter Pollen Waterfront Park.

“A lot of the way Victoria looks and feels today can be attributed to the vision and leadership of Peter Pollen,” said Mayor Lisa Helps. “I had an opportunity to meet Peter shortly after being elected and was moved by the passion and dedication he still had for public access to the harbour and the importance of public spaces. It’s fitting that we name this waterfront park in his honour.”

After serving one term on Council, Pollen became Mayor of Victoria serving two terms between 1971-1975. He returned as Mayor to serve another two terms from 1981-1985, after which he retired from municipal politics.

Pollen championed the preservation of the city’s unique beauty and was dedicated to enhancing its livability. One of his proudest accomplishments was the beautification of the Inner Harbour, creating an accessible public space for all to enjoy.

“My husband Peter made Victoria his home for over 50 years,” said MaryAnn Pollen. “He referred to the Inner Harbour as the jewel of Victoria and believed strongly in public access to this beautiful waterfront. Our family is deeply honoured by this dedication in his memory.”

In line with Pollen’s vision for Victoria’s harbour, during his tenure the Lower Causeway was constructed and, much to the attention of cities all across North America, Pollen also banned billboards from the City of Victoria.

Laurel Point Park was originally established by Pollen and Council in 1975. After a paint company closed and moved from the location, Council ensured a wide strip of waterfront property was set aside to be used as a public park. Now the waterfront park will bear Pollen’s name and continue his desire for Victorians to enjoy the vistas and views of their harbour.

This area also has important cultural significance to the Songhees and Esquimalt Nations. The City’s reconciliation work aims to make the culture, history, and modern reality of local Indigenous Peoples present and apparent throughout the city and valued in our residents' everyday lives. In this spirit, the City has been working with Lekwungen speakers to learn more about the land and the appropriate name for the park area. At the park dedication ceremony the Lekwungen name for the land will also be incorporated as part of the park signage.

Mayor Pollen passed away in 2017. The City of Victoria will hold a park dedication ceremony on October 26 to officially name the new park with Pollen’s family.

Public consultation on the design of the new park will start in late 2019. Following Council approval of the concept design, the detailed design and park construction is anticipated to begin in 2020.

Stay informed and receive project updates at engage.victoria.ca

Background
• Between fall 2018 and summer 2019 Transport Canada remediated the soil from the Laurel Point Park site. The Laurel Point Park Remediation Project was a partnership project between Transport Canada and the City of Victoria.

• Restoration work of the seawall and enhancements to the lower pathway is still underway. The park will re-open to the public once this work is complete in the coming months.

Know it all.

#79 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,770 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:41 AM

99% of people will still refer to it as Laurel Point. Also when did we start naming things after old white guys again? Isn't that just asking for trouble in the future?

#80 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:54 AM

But now 99% of people call the arena Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre, or a derivative thereof.

People quickly adjust.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users