[Burnside-Gorge] The Powerhouse

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,599 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:18 PM

Rock Bay IMO is the one area above all with regard to "downtown" where development should be allowed to have a great deal of latitude in terms of density/height - not necessarily on the waterfront proper but certainly "east" of the Power House toward Government Street I say 'have at it' in terms of condo's, funky bar/restaurants and retailers. In terms of office space if done right I think the area would be a magnet for tech firms particularly with their generally younger demographics in terms of the average age of their workforce. The area is already becoming a hot bed of craft brewery and other spirit outlets which appeal above all to that younger well-heeled market, and is therefore theoretically ideal for the tech crowd. 

• Matt R. likes this

#22 tiger11

tiger11
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:24 PM

This is why I'm lukewarm about the Harris Green London Drugs block. It's a back burner "nice to have" project to me. I'd prefer that energy be directed in this neighbourhood. The HG block may be undervalued but it is functional yet this part of Rock Bay has so much exciting potential. I want to see a thousand rental units, a park, grocery, coffee shops, art studios, high-end condos, townhouses, waterfront walkways, everything.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

I'd love to see it too, but the reality is we need industry in this area including the cement / asphalt plants around rock bay. We are already at a critically low supply of industry stock in the region and cannot afford to further remove from this supply. Id say hands down the highest price appreciation of any asset class we have seen since the beginning of 2018 has been in industrial with no likely change in sight. 

Note: admin removed the paperclip images.

Edited by Mike K., 09 December 2019 - 06:52 AM.

• Bernard likes this

#23 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:38 PM

I don't wish for eviction of industrial. They are compatible. Like Granville Island. 

• AllseeingEye likes this

#24 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,962 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 03:56 AM

I'd love to see it too, but the reality is we need industry in this area including the cement / asphalt plants around rock bay. We are already at a critically low supply of industry stock in the region and cannot afford to further remove from this supply. Id say hands down the highest price appreciation of any asset class we have seen since the beginning of 2018 has been in industrial with no likely change in sight. 

why do we need asphalt / cement / gravel supplies and manufacture right downtown?  once upon a time we needed that type of industry at the water's edge.  but those materials are easily transported by all manner of trucks now.  no need for them downtown on prime waterfront.    they are not going to disappear but simply move to other land elsewhere.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 December 2019 - 03:57 AM.

#25 IPH

IPH
  • 278 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 10:26 AM

Cool concept, nice rendering but I wonder about all that gunk directly under the structure: won't that have to be remediated and removed?

the majority of the site has been remediated with the exception of small components directly beneath the remaining structures.  I would expect that the contamination beneath the Power House Building will be Risk Managed rather than physically remediated using numeric standards.

#26 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:46 PM

Scaffolding recently went up on the Powerhouse. They've also repaved the sidewalks along the entirety of that block of Pembroke, added grass boulevards and planted trees.

82986547_567990720419858_314101286893833

82999727_171894577397096_558549076956256

• Mike K., Rob Randall and Biro like this

#27 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:38 PM

I really hate those grassy medians.
  • Nparker and Bernard like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#28 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:53 PM

Don't worry, the medians will soon be mostly weeds and mud depending on the season.

#29 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:57 PM

It's like planners have never been to a part of town when they make their plans. Rock Bay should grassy medians in the same way that Fairfield shouldn't.
  • aastra, Nparker and Bernard like this

It has a whole new look!

#30 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:24 AM

Has the CoV stated why the grass medians were done at this location?   

#31 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:50 AM

It's kind of funny, isn't it? We're always talking about reviving the industrial district, but if that's really our goal then why the grass? Even in commercial areas (heck, even in exclusively residential areas) those lawns can take a beating.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#32 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:59 AM

I imagine the turf is a temporary thing until larger redevelopment happens. Pembroke is identified as a "shared greenway with major changes" in the Greenways Plan adopted in 2003. The Downtown Core Area Plan includes policy to support implementation of the Greenways Plan in Rock Bay through the redevelopment process.

Basically, CoV has a massive road right-of-way here and have to fill it with something. There's a lot you can do in a 20 m cross section, but you need to be careful as it can be difficult to take things away once they're added in (say, extra vehicle lanes). Better to jut throw turf in because people likely won't complain too much if/when it is removed in the future.

• Rob Randall likes this

#33 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:42 AM

You could even do a centre median with trees that won't interfere with power lines. Amazing potential in every way.

#34 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:04 PM

I like the grass medians as an inexpensive placeholder to preserve the RoW for futute expansion. Should, in the future, that area need an extra traffic lane or buildings with low setbacks are permitted and the sidewalk needs to be widened, then the road width to allow it already exists.

#35 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,962 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 03:08 PM

It's kind of funny, isn't it? We're always talking about reviving the industrial district, but if that's really our goal then why the grass? Even in commercial areas (heck, even in exclusively residential areas) those lawns can take a beating.

look at csv.  they are brutal because they take so much foot traffic.

#36 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:31 PM

I was a bit confused when I saw them. I don't mind them in neighbourhoods like Fairfield or Fernwood but it did seem a bit out of place in Rock Bay. Ultimately I like green boulevards but much prefer them to have a bit more biodiversity. Come summer time they look pretty dead too.

#37 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:55 AM

Placeholder that will be there in ten years and must have cost 10s of thousands to install.
  • Nparker and Bernard like this

It has a whole new look!

#38 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 08:57 AM

96471666_258512665500201_561141587506102

• Rob Randall and AllseeingEye like this

#39 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 05:49 AM

Wonder what that is?

It has a whole new look!

#40 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 06:53 AM

I find this district fascinating. I don't have an image to show but I have seen a 1907 map that shows the Powerhouse area completely zoned for small lot housing. There used to be a street running parallel to Store behind the Powerhouse building. It's been called Woods Street or Constance Street. 

It started out as industrial land but I assume at some point in the early 20th century they figured this prime waterfront peninsula would make a fine residential neighbourhood but it never happened and it's been stuck in time for a century.

1891:

1891A.JPG

1891.JPG

1903:

1903.JPG

1911:

1911.JPG

Edited by Rob Randall, 17 May 2020 - 07:05 AM.

• Nparker, Matt R. and Daveyboy like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users