• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 4,207 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:18 PM

Rock Bay IMO is the one area above all with regard to "downtown" where development should be allowed to have a great deal of latitude in terms of density/height - not necessarily on the waterfront proper but certainly "east" of the Power House toward Government Street I say 'have at it' in terms of condo's, funky bar/restaurants and retailers. In terms of office space if done right I think the area would be a magnet for tech firms particularly with their generally younger demographics in terms of the average age of their workforce. The area is already becoming a hot bed of craft brewery and other spirit outlets which appeal above all to that younger well-heeled market, and is therefore theoretically ideal for the tech crowd. 

• Matt R. likes this

#22 tiger11

tiger11
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:24 PM

This is why I'm lukewarm about the Harris Green London Drugs block. It's a back burner "nice to have" project to me. I'd prefer that energy be directed in this neighbourhood. The HG block may be undervalued but it is functional yet this part of Rock Bay has so much exciting potential. I want to see a thousand rental units, a park, grocery, coffee shops, art studios, high-end condos, townhouses, waterfront walkways, everything.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

I'd love to see it too, but the reality is we need industry in this area including the cement / asphalt plants around rock bay. We are already at a critically low supply of industry stock in the region and cannot afford to further remove from this supply. Id say hands down the highest price appreciation of any asset class we have seen since the beginning of 2018 has been in industrial with no likely change in sight. 

Note: admin removed the paperclip images.

Edited by Mike K., 09 December 2019 - 06:52 AM.

#23 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 10,960 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:38 PM

I don't wish for eviction of industrial. They are compatible. Like Granville Island. 

• AllseeingEye likes this

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#24 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 8,117 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 03:56 AM

I'd love to see it too, but the reality is we need industry in this area including the cement / asphalt plants around rock bay. We are already at a critically low supply of industry stock in the region and cannot afford to further remove from this supply. Id say hands down the highest price appreciation of any asset class we have seen since the beginning of 2018 has been in industrial with no likely change in sight. 

why do we need asphalt / cement / gravel supplies and manufacture right downtown?  once upon a time we needed that type of industry at the water's edge.  but those materials are easily transported by all manner of trucks now.  no need for them downtown on prime waterfront.    they are not going to disappear but simply move to other land elsewhere.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 December 2019 - 03:57 AM.

#25 IPH

IPH
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 10:26 AM

Cool concept, nice rendering but I wonder about all that gunk directly under the structure: won't that have to be remediated and removed?

the majority of the site has been remediated with the exception of small components directly beneath the remaining structures.  I would expect that the contamination beneath the Power House Building will be Risk Managed rather than physically remediated using numeric standards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users