APPROVED
Harris Green Village, tower 1
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 900-block of Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 32
Harris Green Village, tower 1 is a proposal for a 32-storey mixed-use purpose-built rental tower with ground f... (view full profile)
Learn more about Harris Green Village, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] Harris Green Village & Harris Victoria Chrysler/Dodge redevelopment | Multi-phased; mixed-use | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
1571 replies to this topic

#61 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:03 AM

Much nicer than Yello.

Hmmm. To my eye Black & White and Yello on Yates look exactly the same. Generic.

• jonny likes this

#62 victorian

victorian
  • 47 posts
  • LocationHarris Green

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:04 AM

Well that's one opinion and certainly one you're entitled to but I would respectfully disagree on most if not all counts.

First HGV is a complete *fail* on the View Street side - a dead zone utterly bereft of any redeeming qualities whatsoever. Actually to refer to it as "dead" is an insult to actually and really dead things. The London Drugs building - while I completely agree must stay in any redevelopment of this site - is itself an utterly unremarkable structure and to top it off the whole thing is crowned off by the worst s*** show of a parking situation in the CoV.

I definitely agree.

Beauty of course is in the eye of the beholder but I would stack Atrium et al anytime against most of the barf-worthy 4-story, 1950/60''s-era box apartments in this city; and even today never mind 40 years ago, much of so-called old town is so run down and ramshackle it looks more like an air force bombing range than anything resembling architecture - never mind outstanding architecture, or even moderately attractive and useful architecture.

I agree, although that's not a relevant comparison here. The comparison is between an active neighbourhood full of services to hulking glass and concrete monstrosities (like Atrium) with few neighbourhood services (like Zambri's and Cook Culture).

to the grimy swath of Old Town - much of which was (and is to this day) literally falling apart, and lastly to the truly awful aforementioned box apartments which sprouted everywhere like a virus.

The '60s and 70's were a long time ago. You should check out downtown again. I don't know what it was like back then, but it's awesome now. It has more to lose than to gain at this point.

#63 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:05 AM

What in Victoria looks like "generic" 989 Johnson?

Nothing, because nobody wanted to build something that looked so generic.

• jonny likes this

#64 victorian

victorian
  • 47 posts
  • LocationHarris Green

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:07 AM

Those are the very buildings that have finally endowed Harris Green with some positive identity. It was the neighbourhood about nothing before (Seinfeld reference).

We're talking about a district that was dominated by View Towers, surface parking lots, car dealerships, and a strip mall. Methinks what Harris Green really needed to avoid was all of that stuff.

True. New developments were needed. But why couldn't they have been nicer looking? Fortunately, it doesn't matter too much. But the HGV is much higher stakes for how the neighbourhood works.

#65 victorian

victorian
  • 47 posts
  • LocationHarris Green

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:08 AM

Hmmm. To my eye Black & White and Yello on Yates look exactly the same. Generic.

Fair enough. But Yello actually makes me so angry I'm not allowed to discuss it with my spouse anymore lol

Edited by victorian, 31 May 2019 - 11:09 AM.

#66 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:10 AM

...as an HG resident that enjoys and relies on HGV - and invested in the neighbourhood in part because of it - HG going the route of the Legato and 989 Johnson is my worst-case scenario.

It sounds like you're saying the most urban neighbourhood in the city should not be following the urban neighbourhood format. Could strip malls, surface parking, and big box stores really be the best-case scenario for such a neighbourhood? Small storefronts and pedestrian-friendly atmosphere don't belong?

#67 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:11 AM

True. New developments were needed. But why couldn't they have been nicer looking? Fortunately, it doesn't matter too much. But the HGV is much higher stakes for how the neighbourhood works.

Pretty subjective. It sounds like your issue is with specific cladding materials. Can't please everyone. And not every project can be Uber high end and top notch materials or affordability would suffer.

#68 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:14 AM

The front side of Yello on Yates is better than the back side.

Front:

845_yates_street_5_a.png

Back:

vdh_2395.png

• jonny likes this

#69 victorian

victorian
  • 47 posts
  • LocationHarris Green

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:14 AM

It sounds like you're saying the most urban neighbourhood in the city should not be following the urban neighbourhood format. Could strip malls, surface parking, and big box stores really be the best-case scenario for such a neighbourhood? Small storefronts and pedestrian-friendly atmosphere don't belong?

I'm saying the opposite.

#70 victorian

victorian
  • 47 posts
  • LocationHarris Green

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:16 AM

Pretty subjective. It sounds like your issue is with specific cladding materials. Can't please everyone. And not every project can be Uber high end and top notch materials or affordability would suffer.

That's definitely a big part of it. The City should require at least the first few floors of any building to use quality materials.

#71 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:19 AM

I'm saying the opposite.

But you're defending the strip mall. That would be the opposite of the opposite.

Edited by aastra, 31 May 2019 - 11:19 AM.

#72 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:20 AM

Hmm, you might be right. They could be rentals.

They are rentals, my friend that lives there got notice yesterday.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#73 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:20 AM

That's definitely a big part of it. The City should require at least the first few floors of any building to use quality materials.

Ah ha you want a city of luxury buildings for the rich!
  • aastra likes this

#74 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:24 AM

^Many people are pushing for that.

#75 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:27 AM

Bin 4 review from TripAdvisor.com (Reviewed May 28, 2014):

Go for the burgers, not for the ambience

Burgers: Delicious. Everything on the menu looked good, so it was a tough choice. Both my companion and I had very tasty burgers.

Service: Friendly, fast, helpful.

Extras: You get a choice of different types of aioli. We asked the waiter for her recommendation and she was right on: truffle was awesome, and chipotle smoky-spicy good.

Location: Strip mall. Hard to find. Crushed in next to a pizza hut. It's in the city, maybe 15 minutes' walk from the Inner Harbour, but it feels suburban, and not in a good way.

#76 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:37 AM

Harris Green Village's retailers make it successful in spite of its awful suburban form.

The NIMBYs are scared of losing the vibrancy of HGV (which they wrongly attribute to its form; not its mix of retailers). 

HGV is a shitty strip mall and deserves to be bulldozed and replaced with something better. I like where aastra is going with the "similar to Uptown's square" idea. That's on point.

And user 'Victorian'... dude, your aesthetic opinions seem woefully under-informed. If you want to be taken seriously with architectural critiques, give us some justification beyond "it's ugly and generic." That might fly at the HG community association meetings, but this forum is filled with people who are up to date on current global architecture trends and history. The bar for architectural critiques is high; the bar for discourse is admitted low. Idiot! (jk)

• jonny likes this

#77 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:38 AM

The front side of Yello on Yates is better than the back side.

The front side of Yello looks suspiciously like The Wave.

• tiger11 likes this

#78 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:40 AM

^ And the rear looks suspiciously like Escher

• Nparker and tiger11 like this

#79 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:57 AM

Whoops. Sorry. I got confused. All of these new buildings look the same to me.

#80 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:58 AM

I think Aastra was perhaps making a point on the diversity of the built form in the neighborhood and that is anything but generic. That said the ground floor of the wave is atrocious.
  • Nparker and jonny like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users