APPROVED
Harris Green Village, tower 1
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 900-block of Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 32
Harris Green Village, tower 1 is a proposal for a 32-storey mixed-use purpose-built rental tower with ground f... (view full profile)
Learn more about Harris Green Village, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] Harris Green Village & Harris Victoria Chrysler/Dodge redevelopment | Multi-phased; mixed-use | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
1571 replies to this topic

#101 victorian

victorian
  • 47 posts
  • LocationHarris Green

Posted 31 May 2019 - 01:40 PM

Speaking of 1030 Yates, I wouldn't mind seeing a few more smaller buildings along those same general lines here or there (generic = good if the buildings are short). The corner beside Legato seems like a good spot.

Yes! In fact, that building would be a good pedestal for a tower, wouldn't it? It's lovely at street level.

Not only would the corner beside Legato be good for that, but also 915 Yates - the low government gulag across from the Market.

#102 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 01:51 PM

How about something like this for Harris Green?  It is the University Marketplace complex on the UBC endownement lands.  There are courtyards through the whole complex with retail and cafes etc, office and residential upstairs, great ground-floor pedestrian feel.  

Attached Images

• 1510599395_2150_western_parkway_van_oct2010_4.jpg
  • Capture.JPG

• victorian likes this

#103 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 02:01 PM

Not only would the corner beside Legato be good for that, but also 915 Yates - the low government gulag across from the Market.

I believe there is a height covenant on that building. The extra height was transferred from that lot over to the Manhattan building next door. A tall building is not permitted.

#104 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,768 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 02:06 PM

I believe there is a height covenant on [915 Yates]...

Which makes no sense. Then again very few of the height restrictions downtown make any real sense.

#105 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 02:15 PM

^Well, they would make no sense to you because you think building height should be limited to the extent of the earth's atmosphere. 

#106 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,768 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 02:27 PM

So what logical reason should 915 Yates remain short?

#107 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,768 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 02:28 PM

^Well, they would make no sense to you because you think building height should be limited to the extent of the earth's atmosphere. 

No, only as tall as financially viable and can be safely engineered.

#108 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 02:31 PM

So what logical reason should 915 Yates remain short?

A binding legal agreement was made according to the rules at the time. Are you asking a legal question or an urban planning question?

#109 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,768 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 02:33 PM

Obviously the latter.

#110 TallGuy

TallGuy
  • 108 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 03:04 PM

...but this forum is filled with people who are up to date on current global architecture trends and history...

This line is hilarious. A few, maybe, but filled?

Edited by TallGuy, 31 May 2019 - 03:06 PM.

• Matt R. and victorian like this

#111 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 03:10 PM

Shills....Shills! SHILLS!!!!

• TallGuy likes this

#112 TallGuy

TallGuy
  • 108 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 03:14 PM

Shills....Shills! SHILLS!!!!

Sorry, I edited it down a bit, left you hanging there.

#113 victorian

victorian
  • 47 posts
  • LocationHarris Green

Posted 31 May 2019 - 03:37 PM

Victorian, I too appreciate the businesses in HGV (except for Cobb's which is the definition of corporate crap) but to say that the Atrium is a monstrosity is shocking. It literally meets your criteria of local businesses and a high-quality cladding.

I don't think it's shocking at all, but we'll have to agree to disagree on what looks good. Nothing about the Atrium's (lack of) design is attractive to me. It could be a factory or airport terminal or prison. I guess it's fine for a building facing a highway, but I wouldn't want to live near it. Capture1.JPG

I think HGV compares rather well in some ways.

Capture2.JPG

In other ways, it's very, very bad.

Capture3.JPG

I cannot defend HGV's appearance, but I'd rather have it "as is" than do something as unappealing as the Atrium. RFS posted pics of a much nicer development in Vancouver. Why can't we do that in YYJ?

Edited by victorian, 31 May 2019 - 03:43 PM.

#114 aastra

aastra
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 04:01 PM

Here's another example from Vancouver that's really good...

#115 aastra

aastra
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 04:10 PM

It's a well-used multi-use neighbourhood hub, and any new development should be sensitive to that. Is that too much to ask?

Not at all. Ideally it would end up being a better neighbourhood hub than it is right now.

#116 aastra

aastra
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 04:13 PM

This line is hilarious. A few, maybe, but filled?

HB and VHF classed up the place more than we realized.

#117 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 04:24 PM

I don't think it's shocking at all, but we'll have to agree to disagree on what looks good. Nothing about the Atrium's (lack of) design is attractive to me. It could be a factory or airport terminal or prison. I guess it's fine for a building facing a highway, but I wouldn't want to live near it. attachicon.gifCapture1.JPG

I think HGV compares rather well in some ways.
attachicon.gifCapture2.JPG

In other ways, it's very, very bad.
attachicon.gifCapture3.JPG

I cannot defend HGV's appearance, but I'd rather have it "as is" than do something as unappealing as the Atrium. RFS posted pics of a much nicer development in Vancouver. Why can't we do that in YYJ?

First off, just to be clear I am in Harris Green pretty much everyday. Heck I have written multiple articles about it on my blog. I love the place too. I also think most people on here are Victoria residents but I could be wrong. I am fairly certain we are not a bunch of developers or architects though I would love to be wrong about that.

The patio outside the Atrium right now Here: https://www.google.c...n-GB&authuser=0 is as vibrant as HGV is right now I assure you. Also go inside the Atrium because you are supposed to. It is a public space like no other in the city. I assure you again it is one of the most animated spaces in the City. And that anyone can go in and have a seat use your computer is truly amazing. I do it all the time. I have never thought to sit next to the parking lot at HGV never, not once.
  • Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#118 aastra

aastra
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 05:01 PM

...anyone can go in and have a seat use your computer...

Can anyone really go in and have a seat and use your computer? That seems like a privacy & security risk.

• victorian likes this

#119 aastra

aastra
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 05:02 PM

Not to mention the storage and backup issues.

#120 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 05:06 PM

It is causing problems for sure. I keep getting weird things ordered on my Amazon account...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (2)