APPROVED
Harris Green Village, tower 1
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 900-block of Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 32
Harris Green Village, tower 1 is a proposal for a 32-storey mixed-use purpose-built rental tower with ground f... (view full profile)
Learn more about Harris Green Village, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] Harris Green Village & Harris Victoria Chrysler/Dodge redevelopment | Multi-phased; mixed-use | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
1571 replies to this topic

#1481 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 12:21 PM

Yes. It’s going to make housing much more expensive to deliver, rent, and maintain.

Ismo’s not going to approve.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1482 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 12:21 PM

Yes. It’s going to make housing much more expensive to deliver, rent, and maintain.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1483 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,078 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 12:22 PM

I think utility bills will be cheaper though.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 April 2023 - 12:22 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#1484 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 12:24 PM

Just remember, folks. $450,000 to $1 million, and then up to the stratosphere depending on location, is the -land- cost of every single family dwelling in the CRD.

For a condo, it’s $40,000 to $100,000k. For townhomes it’s somewhere in between that and SFDs.

We can’t build our way out of the affordability situation. We can make more land available for building on, though.

Know it all.

#1485 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 12:30 PM

I think utility bills will be cheaper though.

First you have to spend the $150,000 more, to save the $90/month.

Know it all.

#1486 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 03:24 PM

Should pay for itself in about never,

#1487 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 07:30 PM

I read an article that said government (all levels) taxes result in 25% of the cost in building apartments.

If you want to make housing more affordable, stop taxing the hell out of it.

• Nparker, grantpalin, DavidSchell and 1 other like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1488 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 06:13 AM

It’s a third in Vancouver, according to the UDI. Taxes, municipal fees and permitting costs account for 29% of the cost.

It’s a huge business for government. Now they’ve decided every single-family lot can accommodate up to four units.

What do we think that’ll do to property taxes, when those taxes are assessed on the highest potential use of the property, not it’s current use?
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#1489 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 712 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 07:50 AM

Well if every lot is able to be turned into 4 Houses that would mean that no property has an advantage over another to build on, in contrast to if you have 2 single family properties and one gets rezoned for 4 units but the the other doesn't the one with the greater potential for development would get a higher property tax. So if every lot is rezoned at the same time no one would experience a change in property tax. So even if you're assesment goes up so does everyone else's .

#1490 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 08:41 AM

SFD lots compared to each other in isolation, yes, but we have to compare them to all other properties, namely townhome-zoned properties and multi-unit SFD properties, like houses with a zoned suite or duplexes with suites.

In other words, the value proposition of a 4-unit lot is higher than a 1-unit lot, and therefor the assessed value will be higher, if for nothing else than alignment with a townhome lot’s value.

Know it all.

#1491 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 712 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 09:23 AM

I'm not saying the assessed value wouldn't go up I'm just saying that you're property tax wouldn't go up, due to how the tax is divided amongst properties. Lets do a hypothetical example, say you have a municipality of 100 properties all SFD and a $500,000 operating budget so ever property pays an average of $5,000. To make it simple let's say the municipality doesn't need to increase the operating budget for the next year, wonderful! Lets also say that some government comes in and and rezoned all the properties to 4 units/lot and as a result every property's assed value doubles but the operating budget hasn't changed so every property is still only paying $5,000 in property tax.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#1492 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,078 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 09:28 AM

I'm not saying the assessed value wouldn't go up I'm just saying that you're property tax wouldn't go up, due to how the tax is divided amongst properties. Lets do a hypothetical example, say you have a municipality of 100 properties all SFD and a $500,000 operating budget so ever property pays an average of $5,000. To make it simple let's say the municipality doesn't need to increase the operating budget for the next year, wonderful! Lets also say that some government comes in and and rezoned all the properties to 4 units/lot and as a result every property's assed value doubles but the operating budget hasn't changed so every property is still only paying $5,000 in property tax.

PENALTY:  You just designed the opposite of a 15-minute city.  No coffee shops, no food store, no workplaces.

Mods, I suggest a 15-month suspension.   :judge:

#1493 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 712 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 09:34 AM

The tax distribution will only start to change when the development starts being realized. But then again the municipal operating costs per housing unit will decrease on average as more units are added.

#1494 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 712 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 09:38 AM

PENALTY: You just designed the opposite of a 15-minute city. No coffee shops, no food store, no workplace.

I'll take that as you agree with my conclusion since you're trying to use a strawman argument to refute it.

#1495 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,078 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 09:40 AM

I'll take that as you agree with my conclusion since you're trying to use a strawman argument to refute it.

Yes, I'm just being silly.  I understood your accurate argument before you had to give Mike the example.

#1496 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 712 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 09:40 AM

Thank you

#1497 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,078 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 09:43 AM

I mean let's face it.  And I'll be very clear here.

Reports that say that something hasn't happened in local property matters is always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our city and other cities, it is the latter category that tends to be the difficult ones.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 April 2023 - 09:44 AM.

#1498 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 10:26 AM

It will put more tax cost pressure on the SFD lots, relative to townhomes or condos.

Know it all.

#1499 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 10:26 AM

GaryOak: I am not sure that your analysis is correct. Your example of everything starting as a single family home is the flaw. Start with a hundred lots half of which are zoned SFH and the other half are duplexes. The duplexes per lot pay more than the single family homes. Once you rezone the SFH then they will pay a higher percentage and closer to the the duplexes since the assessments of the duplexes stay the same while single family homes go up. (If you dont like duplexes use condos). 

This is rather a basic math question.

#1500 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 10:29 AM

Correct.

Gary got mixed up in everything staying equal because all SFDs will be up-zoned, but they're being up-zoned in the context of existing townhome and condo-zoned properties, which means, on average, the tax burden on existing townhome and condo-zoned properties will decrease, but the SFD tax burden will increase.

• Barrrister likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users