[Trans Canada Highway] The Malahat

• Please log in to reply
2241 replies to this topic

#1281 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:50 AM

Maybe this will all be rendered moot with the advent of flying cars.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1282 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:54 AM

I moved here for money, mostly!

Matt.
  • Bob Fugger likes this

#1283 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 04:14 PM

There will never be a bridge built to any Gulf Island - for any purpose.

There is a road bridge between North Pender and South Pender that has been there for at least 40 years.

• Matt R. likes this

#1284 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 06:57 PM

Pretty much every single resident Gulf Islander would lay their bodies down under threat of death to stop any sort of bridge construction.

A bridge (any bridge) is the antithesis of why Gulf Islanders moved to the Islands in the first place.

But they do like their subsidized ferries. Maybe if you made them pay what it costs to provide ferry service to them, a few of them would pick their bodies up and help build it.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1285 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:49 PM

But they do like their subsidized ferries. Maybe if you made them pay what it costs to provide ferry service to them, a few of them would pick their bodies up and help build it.

Or do away with BC Ferries as it was when I was a kid.  They did far better.

#1286 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:58 PM

There is a road bridge between North Pender and South Pender that has been there for at least 40 years.

Fair enough...but that's a two lane wooden bridge so one Pender family can join another. 

I'm sure if we promoted a highway through Fairfield we'd see the same reaction as we would see from Saltspring.

#1287 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 October 2018 - 11:21 PM

Indeed ... 20 metre long wood bridge across a tiny inlet.

Not really what we're talking about ... but technically you're correct in that it is a bridge between two Gulf Islands ... but not sure it solves the Malahat issue?

https://www.google.c...0!7i8704!8i4352

Edited by Cassidy, 28 October 2018 - 11:22 PM.

#1288 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:03 PM

It wouldn't be that major a bridge between Crofton and Salt Spring or maybe a little north of there. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1289 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:45 PM

It wouldn't be that major a bridge between Crofton and Salt Spring... 

Physically, it would not; psychologically, it would be enormous.

#1290 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 October 2018 - 12:41 AM

I'm not talking about a bridge from Vancouver Island to any of the gulf islands.  I'm talking about bridges connecting more of the islands themselves together, where it makes sense, such that one ferry dock can service more than one island.  The North-South Pender bridge is an example.

What would it take to put a bridge over Active Pass, for example, to connect Mayne and Galiano together?  Thetis and Kuper Islands (or are they already connected? I can't remember)?  Gabriola-Valdes?  Etc.

#1291 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 October 2018 - 06:03 AM

No bridge between Thetis and Penelakut, although you can walk across a low tide, and some folks do drive on the beach when the tide is out. But the ferry to Thetis always makes the two minute side trip to Penelakut as well (BTW Kuper is the old, now unused residential school name for the island, politically incorrect and carrying with it the despicable history of one of the worst residential schools in Canada).

150 million dollars for a bridge between Gabriola and Valdes probably won't fly, as hardly anybody lives on Valdes. There's no current ferry service to Valdes, and there's no B.C. Hydro on Valdes ... in other words Valdes is where you go when the zombie apocalypse hits.

Bottom line is that, for the number of residents who live on the various islands, and the hundreds of millions of dollars that a bridge (or bridges) would cost ... a reasonably dependable ferry service is the most economical solution, and makes the most business sense by far.

#1292 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 11:50 AM

The Penelakuts might not *want* a bridge to Thetis, also?

Saturna - Samuel - Mayne might make sense...no need for any further ferry service/dock maintenance.  Over the long run that would add up, no?

As might SaltSpring - Vancouver Island in Samsun Narrows (just south of Maple Bay).  No more Crofton-Vesuvius, or Swartz-Fulford..

• Bingo likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#1293 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 October 2018 - 12:14 PM

I'm not talking about a bridge from Vancouver Island to any of the gulf islands.  I'm talking about bridges connecting more of the islands themselves together, where it makes sense, such that one ferry dock can service more than one island.  The North-South Pender bridge is an example.

What would it take to put a bridge over Active Pass, for example, to connect Mayne and Galiano together?  Thetis and Kuper Islands (or are they already connected? I can't remember)?  Gabriola-Valdes?  Etc.

I think the only realistic bridge would be Saturna to Mayne Island via Samuel Island   The bridge to Samuel from Saturna would only need to be about 80 meters and the Samuel to Mayne bridge would be about 350 to 400 meters.  Both bridges can be low and use pilings into the water.    I personally think this would make the most sense of any bridge because it gets rid of a 13 km ferry route to serve a very small population.   It would also make businesses, the school and other services on Mayne that much more viable

The shortest distance over Active Pass would be 600 meters and would have to be high enough to allow ships to pass under it, I would suspect a bridge that size would be way too expensive            

Salt Spring to the Vancouver Island the shortest bridge would be close to a kilometre.   There is a spot on the remote part of the west side where it could be as short as 600 meters but would require a lot of road upgrades to make it happen

Valdes to Gabriola would only take a 180 meter bridge.   Gariola to Vancouver Island via Mudge Island would require a bridge of 225 meters and then 120 meters.   It has often been discussed but always been opposed

#1294 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 05:40 PM

I think the only realistic bridge would be Saturna to Mayne Island via Samuel Island   The bridge to Samuel from Saturna would only need to be about 80 meters and the Samuel to Mayne bridge would be about 350 to 400 meters.  Both bridges can be low and use pilings into the water.    I personally think this would make the most sense of any bridge because it gets rid of a 13 km ferry route to serve a very small population.   It would also make businesses, the school and other services on Mayne that much more viable

The shortest distance over Active Pass would be 600 meters and would have to be high enough to allow ships to pass under it, I would suspect a bridge that size would be way too expensive            

Salt Spring to the Vancouver Island the shortest bridge would be close to a kilometre.   There is a spot on the remote part of the west side where it could be as short as 600 meters but would require a lot of road upgrades to make it happen

Valdes to Gabriola would only take a 180 meter bridge.   Gariola to Vancouver Island via Mudge Island would require a bridge of 225 meters and then 120 meters.   It has often been discussed but always been opposed

This is a hellava long alternative to the Malahat...I'll take the Port Renfrew short cut and avoid all the toll bridges.

• Nparker likes this

#1295 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 06:56 PM

This is a helluva long alternative to the Malahat...I'll take the Port Renfrew short cut and avoid all the toll bridges.

Nice to see someone making an effort to get this thread back on topic.

#1296 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 07:06 PM

It wouldn't be that major a bridge between Crofton and Salt Spring or maybe a little north of there. 

Physically, it would not; psychologically, it would be enormous.

And would skyrocket the population on Salt Spring as well. I think that's the biggest concern. As it stands, there is a huge barrier to living on Salt Spring while working in Cowichan; the ferry. You cut that out and all of the sudden it becomes a much more desirable place to live for people who work in Cowichan. Salt Spring is currently less a suburb and more its own community, but with direct access to Cowichan (or the CRD) and it becomes another suburb. This is the same reason why there is such staunch opposition for a bridge to Gabriola from Nanaimo...it makes Gabriola an instant suburb.

#1297 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 08:46 PM

And would skyrocket the population on Salt Spring as well. I think that's the biggest concern. As it stands, there is a huge barrier to living on Salt Spring while working in Cowichan; the ferry. You cut that out and all of the sudden it becomes a much more desirable place to live for people who work in Cowichan. Salt Spring is currently less a suburb and more its own community, but with direct access to Cowichan (or the CRD) and it becomes another suburb. 

Why would anyone living on Saltspring want to work in Cowichan or Victoria? 

#1298 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 08:58 PM

No bridge between Thetis and Penelakut, although you can walk across a low tide, and some folks do drive on the beach when the tide is out. But the ferry to Thetis always makes the two minute side trip to Penelakut as well (BTW Kuper is the old, now unused residential school name for the island, politically incorrect and carrying with it the despicable history of one of the worst residential schools in Canada).

150 million dollars for a bridge between Gabriola and Valdes probably won't fly, as hardly anybody lives on Valdes. There's no current ferry service to Valdes, and there's no B.C. Hydro on Valdes ... in other words Valdes is where you go when the zombie apocalypse hits.

Bottom line is that, for the number of residents who live on the various islands, and the hundreds of millions of dollars that a bridge (or bridges) would cost ... a reasonably dependable ferry service is the most economical solution, and makes the most business sense by far.

Just a dang minute here, we are talking about an alternate route to taking the Malahat, and Thetis to Penelakut does factor into the equation especially if your car breaks down on the mudflats when the tide is out and you have to walk only to find out your gumboots are at home.

#1299 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 11:30 PM

The reason more people don’t live on salt spring is water. You can’t get it so you can’t build.

Matt.

#1300 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 11:32 PM

Why would anyone living on Saltspring want to work in Cowichan or Victoria?

Because salt spring is a nice place to live, housing is cheaper, and there aren’t a lot of great jobs. There are many, many people who commute to Victoria and Duncan during the work week.

Matt.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users