UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Hyatt Centric Victoria Hotel
Uses: hotel, commercial
Address: 1314-1324 Broad Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
The Hyatt Centric Victoria Hotel development is a six-storey, 135-room hotel with ground floor retail space. T... (view full profile)
Learn more about Hyatt Centric Victoria Hotel on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Hyatt Centric Victoria Hotel | Hotel; retail | 6-storeys

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#81 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 03:41 PM

Just next door a heritage building burned to the ground before it could be remediated. And it was one of several such fires.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#82 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 05:04 PM

Project in Victoria's Old Town divides heritage community

Times-Colonist
December 5, 2019

As for the carriage factory, Holmes echoes Chard in stating that the building has been “so badly changed over the decades [as] to leave little of heritage value.”

Holmes is known for his work restoring heritage structures that include the Temple Building, the Pemberton Holmes Building and a Francis Rattenbury-designed building at Langley and Broughton Streets.

He argues that it’s “trite” to dismiss the Duck’s proposal as “façadism” and notes there are many great examples in the city where façades and other heritage elements were preserved alongside “up-to-code, well-laid-out interiors.”

“One exceptionally successful example of this is our own city hall,” he writes. “If city hall had been obliged to maintain its original interior, the building would have never been able to continue its use as our centre of municipal government and likely would have disappeared by now.”

#83 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:00 PM

Chris Le Fevre, who has been restoring heritage buildings in Old Town for decades, agrees. He said the building-code changes don’t justify a shift to protecting only the façades of the city’s heritage buildings — a practice some refer to as “façadism.”

“Yes, the seismic code is changing and it makes for a more difficult economic equation, there’s no question about it,” he said. “But should that give rise to façadism? I don’t believe so.”

Le Fevre, whose company restored the Morley Soda building, Waddington Alley and the Oriental Hotel, among others, said he would take a different approach to the Duck’s Building — one that preserved more of the original structure.

“I would not look at a radical demolition of all but the façade,” he said. “In other words, some major building retention.”

As for the seismic challenges, Le Fevre said: “Anything is possible — it’s a question of whether the economics are tolerable. And if they’re not tolerable to one person, that doesn’t mean they’re not tolerable to another person.

“More particularly, knowing the ins and outs of heritage buildings, and the work that takes, some are more skilled than others.”

Le Fevre said all of his restorations have required reinforcements to walls, roofs, floors and, in some cases, new foundations.

“If a heritage building is not collapsing, why should one knock a heritage building down?” he asked, noting that if the economic conditions aren’t conducive to restoring a building now, those conditions could change in the future.

“If it’s not today, it could be tomorrow.”

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 December 2019 - 06:00 PM.

#84 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:02 PM

(Le Fevre) pointed out that the Duck’s buildings were gifts to the university.

“The University of Victoria does not have an acquisition cost and, accordingly, this would make one’s ability to refurbish the building so much easier economically,” he said. “I’m not so sure Mr. Williams, who never demolished a heritage building, would wish to see something he gifted fall in that manner.”

(Richard) Holmes adds that he knew Williams, discussed Broad Street with him and is “confident that this proposal would have met with his vision and approval.”

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 December 2019 - 06:03 PM.

#85 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:19 PM

Le Fevre said all of his restorations have required reinforcements to walls, roofs, floors and, in some cases, new foundations. “If a heritage building is not collapsing, why should one knock a heritage building down?” he asked, noting that if the economic conditions aren’t conducive to restoring a building now, those conditions could change in the future. “If it’s not today, it could be tomorrow.”

Ah, the Clara Kramer school of heritage preservation.

#86 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:11 PM

When you enter the Duck’s you’re presented with a massive staircase than rises two levels immediately from the main entrance, veers to the left, goes up a few more stairs, then heads up to the top level to the right.

The top floor is like 20 feet tall with the rear of the building serving as a gymnasium.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#87 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:21 PM

I have spent some time in that building and there is virtually nothing inside worth saving. The corner unit is interesting as it is used as an artist studio and is all exposed rafters and probably hasn't been touched for many decades internally.

#88 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 02:21 AM

that staircase is a workout for sure.

#89 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 February 2020 - 02:43 PM

Sounds like they're off to a Public Hearing, though the date is to be confirmed. It moved forward on a 5-3 vote

#90 m3m

m3m
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 04:26 PM

I was walking in the area last week and saw this flyer posted around in a couple posts.  Not sure if it's been posted in this thread before.  

unnamed.jpg

#91 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 04:35 PM

"League of Victorians with No Understanding of Fiscal Reality"

#92 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 04:50 PM

I do think Chard's breaking out the sympathy violins on this one.

#93 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:43 AM

How can anyone get to the point of calling this proposal as overwhelming for the site?   The height is about the same as a lot of the old buildings nearby.   The empty lot should be used for something other than parking a few cars.   

Most of our heritage protection is based on retaining the exteriors of the buildings, very little as it relates to the interiors.

As far as I can see, with this proposal there is no net loss of heritage.   The building on the corner (once the Canada hotel?) has no visible heritage features that I can see.   To have it look heritage there would have to be a lot of new work done on the facade and then it would mainly be all new construction trying to look old.

#94 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:46 AM

The building on the corner (once the Canada hotel?) has no visible heritage features that I can see.   o have it look heritage there would have to be a lot of new work done on the facade and then it would mainly be all new construction trying to look old.

Assuming it could even withstand restoration without falling into rubble.

• Bernard likes this

#95 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:50 AM

Assuming it could even withstand restoration without falling into rubble.

Which reminds me of another point.  At the moment I suspect neither building would fair well in an earthquake, the development will create buildings intended to handle a moderate earthquake.    

#96 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:55 AM

...At the moment I suspect neither building would fair well in an earthquake...    

The other option is to wait until the Big One hits and then most of Old Town will need to be redeveloped*

*unless the rubble is declared heritage-worthy

#97 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:19 AM

The Canada Hotel belongs in the forgotten buildings thread.

Capture.JPG

#98 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:25 AM

^ That's the carriage factory, isn't it? I thought the Canada Hotel was the building at the corner with the awful facade

#99 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:50 AM

Oh, you may be right. I thought that grand facade facing the alley must be the Canada Hotel because they're making such a fuss over it. The corner building is nothing to write home about.

#100 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:53 AM

1908:

Capture.JPG

The gymnasium still exists and I don't think it's in the corner Games Warehouse building.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users