Photo

City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#1241 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 01:02 PM

Vote splitting worked wonderfully for TV last time around.

What worked for TV was their ability to organize, get their voters out, and control polling stations. They are not to be underestimated. They have a huge amount of resources from UVIC, the poverty industry and many of the special interest groups that have received funding for various 'projects' around town. Unless Stephen can match that effort the results from the last election will be repeated.

I like Stephen but I also think we need to manage expectations here. One council vote means that Stephen will help decide whether we pursue the Mayor's vision for ruining the City or TV's. It won't be until the next election that any real change can be implemented. 

Edited by spanky123, 15 August 2020 - 01:08 PM.

• NotHudsonMack, grantpalin and JimV like this

#1242 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,592 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 01:10 PM

Name recognition will assist the winning candidate in the 2022 election, for sure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1243 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 01:14 PM

Name recognition will assist the winning candidate in the 2022 election, for sure.

Yes it will unless it gets associated with a "dump the lot of them" campaign. I think that if Stephen gets elected and takes a disciplined and reasoned approach like Geoff does on issues then he will be fine.

#1244 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,592 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 01:46 PM

Absolutely. A second voice of reason not afraid to speak his mind.
  • Stephen Andrew likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1245 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,810 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 01:54 PM

How bad have things become when we get excited by only 2 of 9 voices on council being sane?

• rmpeers likes this

#1246 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 02:08 PM

Vote splitting worked wonderfully for TV last time around.

Also worked a charm for the mayor.

#1247 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 02:10 PM

That and a concentrated smear campaign of lies against a leading mayoral candidate.

I'm sure the TV trolls will try their best to spread lies about whomever they see as a threat. Homeless hater, etc.

#1248 JimV

JimV
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 02:12 PM

I just don't put much faith in the Victoria electorate. After all, they put Lisa Helps back in office after her Elsner scandal and they keep re-electing Ben Isitt even though he clearly wants Victoria to become a communist city-state.

I share your skepticism.  On the other hand, I never heard anybody talking about the Eisner thing outside of people deeply interested in city politics.  Now nobody talks about anything but the camping and general decline of the city.  And of course, there are the 24k signatures on the petition.

The idiots who vote for TV will never change.  But there are many more who didn’t bother to vote before and who are now angry and motivated.  I think there’s a good chance of enlisting them in what would essentially be a referendum on TV.  One seat won’t change much, but it would put the mayor and council on notice.  And possibly pave the way for a major housecleaning next general election.

My view is that Stephen Andrew’s campaign should present a very clear choice - more of the same failing, ruinous policies or a new and much sterner approach.

#1249 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 02:14 PM

Hopefully it would be pretty easy to highlight what the TV lids have achieved to date. Aside from supporting the tent cities... Collins quit and triggered a 400k byelection... Dubow recently put a 500-part Twitter thread out about why he's not happy council didn't approve all 5 of those diversity staff... and so on...

#1250 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 02:17 PM

I share your skepticism. On the other hand, I never heard anybody talking about the Eisner thing outside of people deeply interested in city politics. Now nobody talks about anything but the camping and general decline of the city. And of course, there are the 24k signatures on the petition.

The idiots who vote for TV will never change. But there are many more who didn’t bother to vote before and who are now angry and motivated. I think there’s a good chance of enlisting them in what would essentially be a referendum on TV. One seat won’t change much, but it would put the mayor and council on notice. And possibly pave the way for a major housecleaning next general election.

My view is that Stephen Andrew’s campaign should present a very clear choice - more of the same failing, ruinous policies or a new and much sterner approach.

Adam Stirling tried to call out the mayors covering up sexual harrassment in the Elsner case and some low-level Helps staffer actually started a rather embarrasing rant about the sexist patriarchy at CFAX or something. It was embarrassing to watch, but also indicates that there is no moral abyss too low for these folks to slither into in order to win.
  • Nparker and Midnightly like this

#1251 JimV

JimV
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 02:22 PM

How bad have things become when we get excited by only 2 of 9 voices on council being sane?

Well, we don’t yet have mobs looting stores and burning courthouses so maybe there is still some potential for sanity growth.  Also, another good councilman might  cause CTJ and Alto to repent and return to the fold.

• Stephen Andrew and NotHudsonMack like this

#1252 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,810 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 02:33 PM

... another good councilman might  cause CTJ and Alto to repent and return to the fold.

I'll only believe that if it actually happens. These two seem to have very flexible spines.

• rmpeers likes this

#1253 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 07:58 PM

I don't want Victoria to change personally. It's a leftist containment zone.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#1254 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 08:41 PM

I could see Andrew quite easily marshalling some solid opposition to TV's more outrageous agenda items, this by consolidating (through negotiation and discussion) all the non-TV votes on Council.

He'd be quite effective at backroom negotiations with the likes of Young, Alto, and Thornton-Joe.

It's terribly obvious that nobody currently on Council can manifest a solid counter to TV ... and although I don't know Andrew well, I do know him, and I do believe such "real politicking" is not only solidly within his capability, but more importantly, he actually wants to fix what's broken in the COV by moving away from the now entrenched agenda based, hard-left politics.

• grantpalin, A Girl is No one, rmpeers and 1 other like this

#1255 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 08:47 PM

Join me for a Virtual Town Hall to discuss your concerns, your wishes and your ideas for #victoriabc.

August 19 at 5:30 pm

Public Safety, Zoning, Accessible Communities - everything is on the table.

Space is limited

Looking forward to meeting you.

Register on this link ▶️ https://www.eventbri...252411?ref=estw

Edited by Stephen Andrew, 15 August 2020 - 08:48 PM.

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#1256 JimV

JimV
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 12:46 PM

The next question is what to do? I want appropriate shelter for those camping. We can rally around the “move them” philosophy, but to where? Is there political will (votes?) at the council table to take such a step? I will leave that answer to you.

Here are my suggestions:

1.  Roll up the welcome mat.  Officially declare that campers are not welcome in Victoria parks.  Stop feeding them and giving them free stuff.

2.  Immediately relocate all BHP campers to the gravel playing field.  Declare the rest of the park off limits.  Provide 24 hour security.

3.  Immediately begin to enforce the “no daytime camping” bylaw and all applicable fire and nuisance bylaws.

4.  Determine how many indoor shelter spaces are available.  Defund any agencies that will not provide this information.

5.  Interview each camper.  If a shelter space is available they either have to take it or get out of the park with all their belongings.

6.  Look for non-park camping alternatives, both inside and outside of Victoria.  Rock Bay and Mount Work areas may be possibilities.

7.  Launch an appeal of the BCSC decision that created this problem.  As far as I know this was never taken to the BCCA.

8.  Fund additional police patrols of all camping areas.

9.  Meet with Province to explore ways of providing secure residential facilities for drug rehab and mentally ill.

Can you do this by yourself?  No.  Can you run and win on this platform?  Yes.

• Nparker, Lorenzo, grantpalin and 1 other like this

#1257 JimV

JimV
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 04:08 AM

Stephen, I’m hearing crickets.

#1258 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 05:42 AM

I don't think an unmoderated point by point back and forth on internet chat sites is an effective method for a politician to communicate with those who wish to express ideas or concerns.

Andrew has indicated multiple methods of communication for those interested in talking to him (including one right above your list).

(BTW, your list is an excellent representation of what needs to take place)

Edited by Spy Black, 21 August 2020 - 05:43 AM.

#1259 JimV

JimV
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 10:21 AM

I don't think an unmoderated point by point back and forth on internet chat sites is an effective method for a politician to communicate with those who wish to express ideas or concerns.

Andrew has indicated multiple methods of communication for those interested in talking to him (including one right above your list).

(BTW, your list is an excellent representation of what needs to take place)

Well, I’m not particularly seeking a one on one with Stephen Andrew.  He replied to an earlier comment of mine and I responded.  I think the steps I proposed would be supported by many people on this board and that they would be interested in his reaction.

Yes, there are other methods of communication but I think a forum like this is actually pretty good because it’s public and has a fairly large audience.  Zoom meetings are OK for small groups but require a lot of coordination and are problematic for other reasons.

#1260 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,592 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 02:03 PM

Press release from the Andrew campaign:

City of Victoria council by-election candidate Stephen Andrew launches online survey to canvas voters

Press release from the Andrew campaign:

Victoria, BC – August 21, 2020: With increased concern with person to person contact, the Stephen Andrew Campaign for Victoria Council launches a digital canvas of Victoria Voters.

“I understand the challenges we face in this covid pandemic as I am one of the people with a compromised immune system”, says Stephen Andrew, who declared he is running for the open Victoria Council seat when the city sets the by-election.

“We now are looking for ways to engage voters with minimal in-person contact.”

Voters can participate in the digital canvas through a brief 5 minute survey at https://www.surveymo...yElectionSurvey

Stephen Andrew is also hosting regular digital town hall meetings to listen to concerns, ideas and vision for Victoria.

A by-election was called after Together Victoria, Candidate Laurel Collins resigned from Council.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users