Photo

City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#1281 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 11:08 AM

Hardman, possibly under Ben's instructions, is already going after VicPD on Twitter. At least she is being honest that she will work for the criminals if elected.
  • Nparker and sebberry like this

#1282 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,848 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 11:16 AM

She was not active over the last while, and appeared to have reentered the social media world publicly when police released the downtown crime data.
  • NotHudsonMack likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1283 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 22 August 2020 - 12:23 PM

She was not active over the last while, and appeared to have reentered the social media world publicly when police released the downtown crime data.

and it shows how tone deaf she is to the citizens of the city

• Nparker, mbjj and rmpeers like this

#1284 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 12:59 PM

As long as those non-activist citizens continue not to vote, it’s a perfectly fine strategy.

#1285 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 05:22 PM

Hardman, possibly under Ben's instructions, is already going after VicPD on Twitter. At least she is being honest that she will work for the criminals if elected.

She tried, still trying to make sense of her tweet, that somehow VicPD “may” have included replica weapons in the stars. She could have checked before making that erroneous statement. I did check and they do not include replicas - according to a former officer.

Also, that’s the big issue for her? No expression of concern about safety or the fact that there are more weapons in the downtown core?

I’ve been in the room where VicPD stores firearms seized on the street - It’s a regular 2nd amendment supporter’s supermarket.

Edited by Stephen Andrew, 22 August 2020 - 05:25 PM.

• rmpeers likes this

#1286 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 07:12 PM

I apologize - apparently replicas ARE counted in the total. Still, why are people running around with replica guns? Just saying.
  • rmpeers likes this

#1287 Fox

Fox
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 08:19 PM

I apologize - apparently replicas ARE counted in the total. Still, why are people running around with replica guns? Just saying.

Use a replica in a crime and yes, its a valid weapon.  IIRC, you will be charged as if it was real.  As a legal firearms owner, I have no problem with this, there is no excuse for using a real firearm or a replica as a weapon in a crime.

Edited by Fox, 22 August 2020 - 08:20 PM.

• Nparker and Stephen Andrew like this

#1288 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,640 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 03:26 AM

because they have a juvenile mindset and think it’s cool. like a teenager might. most people grow out of that. I have said that before here.

why do most homeless people not have a drivers license? those living even in temporary shelters are legally allowed to use the shelter address to attain a license. but they are like little kids. and unlikely to be able to pass the tests.

#1289 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 05:57 AM

here you go Stephen, apparently Ms Hardman doesnt understand its a Federal Offence or doesnt care

https://laws-lois.ju...section-85.html

85 (2) & (3)

Using firearm in commission of offence

• 85 (1) Every person commits an offence who uses a firearm, whether or not the person causes or means to cause bodily harm to any person as a result of using the firearm,

• (a) while committing an indictable offence, other than an offence under section 220 (criminal negligence causing death), 236 (manslaughter), 239 (attempted murder), 244 (discharging firearm with intent), 244.2 (discharging firearm — recklessness), 272 (sexual assault with a weapon) or 273 (aggravated sexual assault), subsection 279(1) (kidnapping) or section 279.1 (hostage taking), 344 (robbery) or 346 (extortion);

• (b) while attempting to commit an indictable offence; or

• © during flight after committing or attempting to commit an indictable offence.

• Marginal note:Using imitation firearm in commission of offence

(2) Every person commits an offence who uses an imitation firearm

• (a) while committing an indictable offence,

• (b) while attempting to commit an indictable offence, or

• © during flight after committing or attempting to commit an indictable offence,

whether or not the person causes or means to cause bodily harm to any person as a result of using the imitation firearm.

• Marginal note:Punishment

(3) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1) or (2) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable

• (a) in the case of a first offence, except as provided in paragraph (b), to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years and to a minimum punishment of imprisonment for a term of one year; and

• (b) in the case of a second or subsequent offence, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 14 years and to a minimum punishment of imprisonment for a term of three years.

• © [Repealed, 2008, c. 6, s. 3]

• Marginal note:Sentences to be served consecutively

(4) A sentence imposed on a person for an offence under subsection (1) or (2) shall be served consecutively to any other punishment imposed on the person for an offence arising out of the same event or series of events and to any other sentence to which the person is subject at the time the sentence is imposed on the person for an offence under subsection (1) or (2).

•  

Edited by rjag, 23 August 2020 - 05:58 AM.

• Nparker, Stephen Andrew, mbjj and 1 other like this

#1290 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 06:00 AM

https://laws-lois.ju...section-88.html

Possession of weapon for dangerous purpose

• 88 (1) Every person commits an offence who carries or possesses a weapon, an imitation of a weapon, a prohibited device or any ammunition or prohibited ammunition for a purpose dangerous to the public peace or for the purpose of committing an offence.

• Marginal note:Punishment

(2) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1)

• (a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years; or

• (b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

•  

#1291 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,848 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 06:05 AM

A replica is also often a pellet gun, meaning it is still a weapon, and can be a very dangerous weapon.

A non functioning “replica” and a replica that is a 17.7 caliber pellet gun are not the same thing, but they are often referred as one and the same.
  • Stephen Andrew and rmpeers like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1292 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 06:16 AM

what defines a weapon? If it can be used to hurt someone.

Heck some slingshots with ball bearings can do real disfiguring damage.

My old paintball gun was limited to 200fps. I have seen incidents where a protective face shield used in paintball has shattered because someones paintball gun was dialed up to 250fps. That would have caused serious facial injuries. Heck I had some huge body bruises if the paintball hit my clothing where it was tight to my skin.

https://airsoftpal.c...airsoft-pistol/

These are dialed up out the box to 300fps and higher. Thats nasty stuff

These pistols can be easily modified and cause extreme pain if not injury...and who the fvck is going to stare down the business end of one of these and laugh?

Edited by rjag, 23 August 2020 - 06:17 AM.

#1293 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 06:35 AM

because they have a juvenile mindset and think it’s cool. like a teenager might. most people grow out of that. I have said that before here.

why do most homeless people not have a drivers license? those living even in temporary shelters are legally allowed to use the shelter address to attain a license. but they are like little kids. and unlikely to be able to pass the tests.

Agreed about the firearms.

I would submit that if you don't have a secure place to sleep, then spending hundreds of dollars to get a driver's licence probably isn't high on your list of priorities?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#1294 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,848 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 06:48 AM

Most pellet guns are 500 fps. The good ones, anyways. And that’s the legal limit in Canada without a PAL. But on the street if you have unlicensed and illegally obtained firearms, what’s to stop pellet guns from not being limited to 500fps? For all you know, the discharged round could be traveling at 800fps from the pellet gun that’s just been fired at you or your business.

Know it all.

#1295 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 06:59 AM

For statistical purposes, it's clear there should be three categories if we are truly interested in the topic: replica guns, and guns that can fire--and this is further broken down into real bullet-firing and pellet/BB guns. But in the future with the advent of sophisticated 3-D printing, the line between toy gun and real gun will be impossible to determine so a real gun will be considered any device capable of firing a projectile capable of injury. It will be more about the ammunition than the device.

Edited by Rob Randall, 23 August 2020 - 07:00 AM.

• Stephen Andrew likes this

#1296 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,848 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 07:05 AM

In the end, they’re all real if being pointed at someone as the repercussions for the target are the same, which are being struck with fear and being more easily coerced to do as instructed.

The repercussions are also the same for the person holding the object if the target has a real firearm, and shoots the object holder in self defence.

The moral of the story is it doesn’t matter what category the object falls into, any of them could get you killed by police or someone else. And not just by another firearm, but any act of self defence.
  • sebberry, Stephen Andrew, Midnightly and 2 others like this

Know it all.

#1297 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,848 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 07:10 AM

I mean, a real firearm might not be able to fire a round for many reasons. It’s still real, and not an imitation or replica, it’s just malfunctioning.

A firearm is a firearm is a firearm. If it looks like the real thing, it can only be treated as the real thing and for that reason I don’t believe creating a half dozen different categories is required, but but at the very least “replica” should not include pellet guns in press releases. For the purposes of statistics all three categories should be lumped into “weapons” as, like I said, the ramifications are identical.

Know it all.

#1298 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 07:18 AM

Yes, absolutely, from the victim's viewpoint, a gun is a gun. But breaking it down, we learn about trends--are more firearms being smuggled in, are replicas gaining in popularity over knives etc, 

And to bring us back on topic, VicPD must be more careful when releasing stats, especially when they are immediately put to use by politicians in an election campaign.

• Brayvehart likes this

#1299 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,848 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 07:43 AM

Let's use some common sense here. A knife is accessible everywhere. A replica firearm is comparatively very rare, very difficult to come across haphazardly, and costs big money (unless stolen) to acquire or trade for. It's also worthless if you bring a replica firearm to a knife fight so anyone who's got a "replica" will also have a knife. Why wouldn't you?

The trend we should be looking at is who the people are, not what they're using. Are they locals? Are they from elsewhere? Because local criminals use what other local criminals use. The sudden surge in pellet guns and the odd "replica" thrown in leads me to believe we're seeing a trend brought here, not one that's created here.

Know it all.

#1300 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,058 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 07:58 AM

...and who the fvck is going to stare down the business end of one of these and laugh?

Together Victoria candidates?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users