Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Union | Condos | 5- and 5-storeys | Built - Completed in 2014

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
493 replies to this topic

#461 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:29 AM

That price includes cleaning, all utils, wifi, parking, fully furnished. Still seems a bit steep for a 1 bedroom but I could see some execs wanting it on a 6 mo lease basis.

#462 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:41 AM

A $1,000 premium seems very high. I wonder what the "exec" market is like in this town.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#463 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:03 AM

I guess if the company is paying for it and the alternative is a hotel room, maybe this is quite reasonable.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#464 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:43 AM

10 MLS® reported sales just over the weekend!

Union.jpg

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#465 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:45 AM

I guess if the company is paying for it and the alternative is a hotel room, maybe this is quite reasonable.

At what point do you have to charge hospitality taxes? I see little/no discernible difference between this listing and a hotel, other than term length.

#466 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:01 AM

At what point do you have to charge hospitality taxes? I see little/no discernible difference between this listing and a hotel, other than term length.

Sale of accommodation for a continues period of more than a month is exempt from 8% PST and 2% MRDT.

• Matt R. likes this

#467 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:02 AM

Okay :)

#468 timw11

timw11
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:13 PM

Saw what looked like an A unit being rented for $1350...

Went by the show suites on the weekend, I was pretty impressed with the units and the views in them. The ceiling difference between 2-4 and 5th is extremely noticeable (just over 8' to 9'), makes the unit seem a lot bigger. Would be concerned with the "bedroom" size, and don't believe that it's a queen sized bed in the demo suites. Not having sliding doors for the closets across from the bedroom could be a bit of an issue too.

C units seemed to be the most livable, the flow through from the BR to walk in to washroom is nice, and the BR is a much more liveable size. 

A's I liked for a single person looking to live in something that has a little more room separation than a normal studio. Would be killer to get the A with the coutryard patio and grab a ton of outdoor space.

One thing I kept circling back to is that they are all rectangular units, but there are only windows on one of the short ends of the rectangle—would be tough to get much natural light penetration back to those bedrooms in A or B.

Very interesting though—this building feels like an actual addition to downtown and the community. 

• Ben and Mixed365 like this

#469 CosmonautResident

CosmonautResident
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

Yeah, the ~9' ceiling height is very nice on the 5th floor. 

But does anyone know much about the soundproofing on this place? Is the minimum standard they have to build to pretty good? My current neighbour doesn't like it when I even watch TV at a low volume after hours(in an admittedly fairly old building).

And I'm aware any apartment is going to let noise through, but not having to talk quietly after 10pm would be swell.

#470 timw11

timw11
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:07 AM

Yeah, the ~9' ceiling height is very nice on the 5th floor. 

But does anyone know much about the soundproofing on this place? Is the minimum standard they have to build to pretty good? My current neighbour doesn't like it when I even watch TV at a low volume after hours(in an admittedly fairly old building).

And I'm aware any apartment is going to let noise through, but not having to talk quietly after 10pm would be swell.

They spoke a lot about the soundproofing materials between the floors, but without being in a unit and having some people stomp about above and play loud music next door you wouldn't really be able to tell. They should really show off the soundproofing at these demos by putting a boombox next door.

#471 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:27 AM

From my experience living in a newer wood framed building, it's only your neighbours above (and on occasion below) that you will need to consider. Unless your next door neighbours are hammering nails into walls, you won't hear them. As for above neighbours, you can hear footsteps when shoes are being worn, bass from sub-woofers and occasionally appliances when everything else is quiet.

#472 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:37 AM

Bass would drive me nutty.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#473 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

I actually think salmon could be even worse, that close to the ocean.

• sebberry likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#474 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:14 PM

On the contrary, I hear he's quiet and a very good tenant.

170px-Outofsync.jpg

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#475 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:53 AM

Sneak peak of Theatre Alley and a view of Chinatown buildings that you don't often see. The alley should be open to the public soon.

IMAG1153_1.jpg

IMAG1154_1.jpg

Know it all.

#476 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:21 AM

As for above neighbours, you can hear footsteps when shoes are being worn, bass from sub-woofers and occasionally appliances when everything else is quiet.

So nothing has really changed then in the last 30 years.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#477 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:38 PM

Went through the alley today on the way back to the office. Interesting... don't often get to see the back areas of some of those buildings.

#478 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:39 PM

Really cool to see these old buildings getting fixed up. I can't wait to see the one next door when it's done.

#479 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:31 AM

Went through the alley today on the way back to the office. Interesting... don't often get to see the back areas of some of those buildings.

This report to the March 13 GPC meeting spelled out registering a statutory right of way to permit public access through the alley.

"It will provide access for members of the public to pass between Pandora Avenue and Fisgard Street between the hours of 7am (or dawn if later) and 7pm (or dusk if earlier)."

Anyone notice if there is any signage to that effect up yet?

Edited by Linear Thinker, 18 March 2014 - 11:33 AM.

#480 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

No signage has been installed yet.

The way the entrance from Pandora is designed you have no way of seeing the alley from the street. Even though there is a sign that says "Theatre Alley" above the garage it looks more like retail signage than a sign indicating that, yes, there is an alley there.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users