Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Union | Condos | 5- and 5-storeys | Built - Completed in 2014

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
493 replies to this topic

#61 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 07:02 AM

Anthem's efforts to revive this project have stalled. The financials simply don't add up.

Thats a shame, as the amount of infill in this part of town is huge, and it could be a fun place to live. Hopefully other developers come up with clever ways to make the area work, but this failure might hurt the chances.

There won't be any development on this site for a long time. My efforts now will go into setting up a community garden so that some use can come from the site.

Thats a great idea!

#62 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 07:50 AM

Maybe they should put in a parking lot.

#63 KublaKhan

KublaKhan
  • 283 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:51 AM

Maybe they should put in a parking lot.

And pave/tile it with bamboo. And then charge $7,000 a week to park there.

#64 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:48 PM

We might see this revived in the new year if the Province allows wood frame construction over four storeys. I'll keep you posted.

#65 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:05 PM

...if the Province allows wood frame construction over four storeys.

I thought they are?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#66 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:10 PM

I thought they are?

Yes, they are revising the code to allow 6 stories

#67 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:36 PM

Maybe if it's bamboo, it could be eight?

#68 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:50 PM

I saw high rise construction sites in Hong Kong that used bamboo scaffolding, so why not?

#69 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:53 PM

Kaden+Klingbeil built a 7-storey wood-frame building in Berlin. Video. First of its kind there (to date they only allowed up to 5 storeys in wood). (PS: It uses 30% of the energy that traditional reinforced concrete construction uses. The building was finished -- rough -- in 8 (eight!) weeks.) (PPS: you'll note that there are two media cores in the middle of the building that are concrete.) (PPPS: To meet fire codes, the wood is almost entirely encased in anti-flammable material - you can see the workers attaching a beige brick-like layer to the interior, prior to drywalling I guess. The ceilings are left exposed wood - nicely finished, if you like that look. Better than popcorn spackling, I guess!)
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#70 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:05 PM

I saw high rise construction sites in Hong Kong that used bamboo scaffolding, so why not?

Some sites in Bangkok went 12 levels with bamboo scaffolding - this is HK

#71 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:38 PM

I saw something like that in Shanghai several years ago. It blew my mind.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#72 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:10 AM

"No actual Bamboos were hurt in the framing of this project"

#73 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:04 AM

We might see this revived in the new year if the Province allows wood frame construction over four storeys. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for waiting patiently for a year. I will keep my promise by telling you the DRA will be meeting with Anthem Properties next week to look at their new plans.

#74 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:29 AM

Two buildings, five storeys. Developed by Anthem (Market Square). Franc D'Ambrosio's office still the architect of record. I think this will be the fourth major attempt at development.

The fate of "Theatre Alley" may be in doubt.

#75 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 06:38 AM

Well since there is already Fantan alley and we have survived the last many years without the access across that lot I think it is okay.

So what do they look like?

#76 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:56 AM

Two buildings, five storeys.

Should be 4 stories on Fisgard and 6 or 7 stories on Pandora.

#77 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:20 PM

Two buildings, five storeys. Developed by Anthem (Market Square). Franc D'Ambrosio's office still the architect of record. I think this will be the fourth major attempt at development.

It's been nearly a year. Shall we say this project is canceled, or has the DRA met with the proponents since the December 09 meeting?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#78 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:20 PM

It is still in progress last I heard.

#79 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:21 AM

It is still in progress last I heard.

Rob, was I correct in hearing (at last night's meeting) that Paul Merrick is now the architect for the proposed buildings at this site?

#80 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:58 PM

Yes, that is true and I should be hearing news on this fairly soon.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users