Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Union | Condos | 5- and 5-storeys | Built - Completed in 2014

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
493 replies to this topic

#101 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:00 PM

The city's Planning & Land Use Committee will consider this project's application for a development permit next week (on Thursday, March 17). City staff are recommending the issuance of this permit.

The DP report is located here:
http://victoria.civi...517 Fisgard.pdf

#102 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:35 AM

City Hall sends Union condo to public hearing

By Robert Randall • Published on Friday, March 18, 2011

At a Thursday meeting of the Planning and Land Use Standing Committee, councillors agreed with a staff recommendation to send the Union condo project to a future public hearing.

The five-storey mixed-use proposal in the heart of Chinatown would feature two buildings separated by a courtyard, with a walkway linking Pandora to Fisgard.

More...

#103 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:05 AM

Why do they need a walkway from Pandora to Fisgard? Isn't that what Fan Tan's for?

#104 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:06 AM

Why do they need a walkway from Pandora to Fisgard? Isn't that what Fan Tan's for?

'Cuz we need "Fan Tan 2: The Less Interesting Sequel"

#105 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:53 PM

There's opportunity for a cool alley, but there's no way they'd pull it off. I'm not sure fan-tan would meet code these days anyways...

That said, this isn't a horrible place for a mid-block, it would link up with the cool little walkways around those live/work townhouses no?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#106 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:56 PM

Agh this building looks great. Does Coun. Madoff even walk around Chinatown?

Madoff noted the ordinariness of the balconies and recommended they be made to look like they were affixed to the building instead of being integrated into the facade. This, she said, would be in keeping with the distinctive look of Chinatown’s architecture which often features details like wrought iron balconies and fire escapes.

Inset Balcony One

Inset Balcony Two

Inset Balcony Three

Inset Balcony Four

Inset Balcony Five

Inset Balcony Six

Inset Balcony Seven

Inset Balcony Eight

So maybe the architect was actually trying to do something that is seen around Chinatown!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#107 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:03 PM

I'm not even sure I understand her point - the railing look like they could be wrought iron.

Does the planning and land use committee really have any business making comments like this? I would have thought their purview was usage and density, not design details, which I'd leave to the pros on the Design Panel.

Anyhow, I agree that this building looks great, and I hope it moves forward smoothly.

#108 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:52 PM

The site contains what was once Theatre Alley. Most of it has been lost but a lot of people including the DRA would like to see it restored. It would not be like Fan Tan Alley, but more like Dragon Alley.

#109 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:01 PM

Agh this building looks great. Does Coun. Madoff even walk around Chinatown?

Inset Balcony One

Inset Balcony Two

Inset Balcony Three

Inset Balcony Four

Inset Balcony Five

Inset Balcony Six

Inset Balcony Seven

Inset Balcony Eight

So maybe the architect was actually trying to do something that is seen around Chinatown!

I'm sorry, I should have clarified; Madoff's comments referred to the upper two storeys of balconies, not the lower ones that resemble the inset balconies seen in G-man's links. I have modified the sentence to make that distinction.

I agree with this suggestion to make them appear more 'attached' rather than your standard condo balcony. Sorry if my wording made it unclear.

As for why design details are being discussed at a Planning and Land Use committee, well, all I can say is that Councillors serve on many different committees and it can be difficult to remember which hat you're wearing. Kind of like when we talk about bridge design or traffic in the Johnson St. Bridge funding thread. You know you really shouldn't but you can't help sneaking in that comment.

#110 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:36 AM

^You can make excuses for them all you want Rob but this is a discussion forum on the internet, not City Hall. If they can't figure out what meeting they are in, or what commitees they are on, they shouldn't be serving on city council. What's more, we're not paid to be here, they are, so you would think that they might be a bit more professional than that. Unfortunately i'm not surprised since it's rare that Victoria city councillors demonstrate much lucidity. :rolleyes:

As for the building, I find it "appropriately boring" which means it will probably come to fruition.
In chains by Keynes

#111 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:39 AM

So would the exterior of this building be painted to fit in with Chinatown?

#112 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:46 AM

^Yes, I think you can buy "Chinatown" paint at the same store Bugs Bunny buys plaid paint and "tunnel black hole" paint.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#113 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:06 AM

That's a relief. So they just spray it on?

#114 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:14 AM

Joking aside, I think a new building like the one in the link below would tend to stick out like a sore thumb. There should be some colour on the front facade.

http://maps.google.c...7,0.007328&z=18

#115 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:38 AM

Council will consider a development permit for this project next Thursday (April 28).

#116 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 01:09 PM

What is the verdict?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#117 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:06 PM

The Union was approved by the City Council last night.

Condo, retail complex OK'd for weed-choked lot
By BILL CLEVERLEY, Timescolonist.com
April 29, 2011
http://www.timescolo...1407/story.html

A long-neglected and weed covered lot linking Chinatown to Old Town is to be transformed by Vancouver-based Anthem Properties into a five-storey condominium and retail complex. [...]

#118 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:25 PM

Madoff said the fact a lot is vacant is not necessarily a reason to approve development. "I don't see an empty lot as a blight on the landscape. I see it as an opportunity," she said.

Pam Madoff is the greatest blight on the Victoria landscape. :mad:

#119 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:29 AM

An opportunity for what? Good grief, what better use of land could there be than a lowrise, high-density mixed-use condo/commercial project?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#120 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:45 PM

I don't see an empty lot as a blight on the landscape....

Pretty good summary of the prevailing attitude in Victoria over the past 60 years or so.

Parking lots, empty lots, abandoned buildings... there's tremendous opportunity just about everywhere you look.

The real blight happens when you actually build something on those empty lots. Just look at south downtown. All of that opportunity, now ruined.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users