COVID-19 / Coronavirus updates in Victoria, BC

• Please log in to reply
26251 replies to this topic

#21081 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 01:16 PM

^

Seems it's not only CTV the organizers are avoiding.

Repeated inquiries to Lich and convoy organizers by the National Post went unacknowledged.

GoFundMe causes confusion over freezing multi-million dollar fundraiser for truck protesters | National Post

Why are they hiding?

Here's an editorial from a Canadian trucking magazine on the weekend:

This is fairly significant, and startling, when you consider where that money is going. The fundraising initiative was started by Tamara Lich, who has a history of association with radical groups, including the recently formed federal separatist Maverick Party in Alberta. Yes, by this weekend, there is likely to be about $1 million in the hands of someone affiliated with a party that wants to break up Canada. (Plan B, mind you).

In her past, Lich was regional coordinator for Wexit in Southeastern Alberta, and was member of the board for Wexit Alberta. What’s Wexit Alberta? It was the provincial party whose co-founder wanted to exit Canada and join the Trump-led U.S.

Lich later took her ambitions federally and joined the federal Wexit Canada board, which would later become the Maverick Party.

She was also affiliated with the Yellow Vest movement, which was linked to death threats against our Prime Minister. Is that what we’ve become, Canada? To her credit, Lich attempted to distance her local chapter from those making the death threats. But think about that for a second…she was affiliated with an organization that threatened to kill our Prime Minister – and now has nearly $1 million of your money to distribute as she sees fit.

Curiously, she seemingly has no direct connection to the trucking industry. She worked in the oil and gas industry and was singer for a local metal band. So where does this love for truckers come from?

And, where will that million or so bucks go? It will go into the organizer’s bank account, that we know. That’s how GoFundMe works. From there, who knows? Since the fundraiser is not an official charity or organization, there is no further accountability. (Incidentally, Trucknews.com chooses not to promote GoFundMe initiatives for this very reason).

Lich says the money will go towards reimbursing participating truckers for their fuel costs. That’s great, but hauling a load would pay more than bobtailing cross-country for the cost of diesel. Rates aren’t bad, these days. She’ll cover food and lodging too, if you really need it.

The murky matter of protests and the donations that drive them - Truck News

#21082 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,505 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 01:26 PM

Muck raking is the only move they got... Maybe she deserves it maybe not. I don't know her or her history. I also would not talk to a media that has shown zero neutrality in all this. 

She did speak to these guys though. I'm not signing up to read further....

"The organizer of the cross-Canada truckers' convoy says the group's GoFundMe page — which has so far raised $4.4 million — has not been frozen. Organizer Tamara Lich, head of the GoFundMe page, spoke to Western Standard on Tuesday morning claiming mainstream media reports that it was shut down are not accurate. "Right now I am working with the finance committee, organizing logistics for...."

https://westernstand...ash-not-frozen/

Edited by dasmo, 25 January 2022 - 01:27 PM.

#21083 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 01:35 PM

Muck raking is the only move they got... Maybe she deserves it maybe not. I don't know her or her history. I also would not talk to a media that has shown zero neutrality in all this. 

She did speak to these guys though. I'm not signing up to read further....

"The organizer of the cross-Canada truckers' convoy says the group's GoFundMe page — which has so far raised $4.4 million — has not been frozen. Organizer Tamara Lich, head of the GoFundMe page, spoke to Western Standard on Tuesday morning claiming mainstream media reports that it was shut down are not accurate. "Right now I am working with the finance committee, organizing logistics for...."

https://westernstand...ash-not-frozen/

I think she assumed like you that when it says frozen that means people can't donate.  I still do not think she has access to funds. Glad she is working with the finance committee etc.  Like I said I'm sure it will work out.  I don't know why you say the media is slanted in this, for the most part they are just saying what it is.  Convoy against mandates.  I don't see anything too untoward except for the odd small publication trying too hard..  The media just have questions that she won't answer.  I think this may have gotten bigger than she was ready for so doesn't have her ducks in order...  

• vortoozo likes this

#21084 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 02:28 PM

the western standard is neutral?

#21085 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 02:28 PM

GoFundMe takes nothing. They have a tip option when you donate. . 

Their website indicates they take 2.9%

https://www.gofundme...en-ca/c/pricing

• Matt R. likes this

#21086 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 02:41 PM

Yes. The original post indicated they take the CC processing fees that they must pay.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 January 2022 - 02:41 PM.

#21087 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 03:39 PM

B.C. Vaccine Card program extended

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry has extended the B.C. Vaccine Card program until June 30. This means people will continue to have to prove that they are fully vaccinated in order to travel and to access some events, services and businesses in B.C.. She said she expected that the program would be scrapped before the end of the year.

https://vancouversun...49659d97a3/amp/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 January 2022 - 03:39 PM.

#21088 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 03:51 PM

GoFundme can be a super easy way to raise money. I have family who have used it effectively to support arts activities.

They have a charity option that allows for tax receipts if you have been able to register as a charity.

Is the Trucking convoy listed as  a charity? It was not clear to me if it is or not.

As an aside:  I see they are worldwide. Are they a for profit company? If they are then income could come from the  30 cents per donation and any difference between their 2.9% fee and credit card business fees which vary from about 1.5% - 3.5% in Canada.

#21089 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,505 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 03:59 PM

the western standard is neutral?

No news outlet is at this point. Catch up! 

#21090 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,505 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 04:00 PM

I think she assumed like you that when it says frozen that means people can't donate.  I still do not think she has access to funds. Glad she is working with the finance committee etc.  Like I said I'm sure it will work out.  I don't know why you say the media is slanted in this, for the most part they are just saying what it is.  Convoy against mandates.  I don't see anything too untoward except for the odd small publication trying too hard..  The media just have questions that she won't answer.  I think this may have gotten bigger than she was ready for so doesn't have her ducks in order...  

I like the reasonable Ismo07 a lot more than the one that slings the personal attacks! 

#21091 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 04:05 PM

They charge extra fees outside the US and Canada. They collect tips. They charge mainstream charities that use it another 5%. And they get a rebate from the credit card companies based on a low chargeback rate.  They earn several thousand dollars per day in interest on the funds they hold prior to payout.   

It all seems to work out.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 January 2022 - 04:13 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#21092 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 04:15 PM

I like the reasonable Ismo07 a lot more than the one that slings the personal attacks! 

Aww couple backhanded quips are hardly personal attacks..  What has happened to the sensitivity of society...  More beers needed...  We can probably move on from the convoy...  Unless something interesting pops up we've kind of beat it to death no?

#21093 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,505 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 04:18 PM

Aww couple backhanded quips are hardly personal attacks..  What has happened to the sensitivity of society...  More beers needed...  We can probably move on from the convoy...  Unless something interesting pops up we've kind of beat it to death no?

:cheers:

#21094 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 04:27 PM

What do you make of this?

Canada is #92 in the world for deaths per 1 million population and #102 in cases per 1 million population.

Sweden is #59 in the world for deaths per 1 million population and #42 in cases per 1 million population.

Our median age is very similar, Sweden has 2% more people under 20, and our life expectancy is nearly the same.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 January 2022 - 04:29 PM.

#21095 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 04:41 PM

Canada is #92 in the world for deaths per 1 million population and #102 in cases per 1 million population.

Sweden is #59 in the world for deaths per 1 million population and #42 in cases per 1 million population.

Our median age is very similar, Sweden has 2% more people under 20, and our life expectancy is nearly the same.

To be clear, the #1 country in this case is the one that reported the most cases / hospitalizations. Eg, lower is better.

Ero, what I "make of this" is that Canada's approach to public safety resulted in much lower cases & hospitalizations than Sweden's.

The raw numbers, since the beginning of the pandemic are: Sweden, 17,664.7 cases per 100,000. Canada, 7,688 cases per 100,000.

Deaths: Sweden, 155 per 100,000. Canada, 85.88 deaths per 100,000.

COVID-19 curves: Compare Canada and other key nations | CTV News

#21096 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 04:46 PM

Hard to compare as different nations monitor differently it seems.  There are also so many other factors like density, politics, shame etc.  What might be helpful is the life expectancy.   Wasn't there a post that showed the life expectancy dropped the most for Canadians in like 100 years or something?  That seems notable.  How does that compare to Sweden et al.

PS I had to go find it again...  Some countries (US, Spain, Italy) dropped the life expectancy buy over 1.5 years!!!  Some countries (Norway, Denmark and Finland - no mention of Sweden) actually still increased their expectancy or remained stable. COVID-19 blamed for greatest drop in life expectancy in Canada since 1921 | CBC News thanks Amor

Edited by Ismo07, 25 January 2022 - 05:01 PM.

#21097 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 04:55 PM

What I'm trying to show is the discrepancy between cases and deaths, relatively for each country.  

In Sweden, with no lockdowns, they had comparatively fewer deaths compared to cases, even with high case numbers.  On the other hand, we had nearly the tightest lockdowns in the world (even today 3/4 of our restaurants remain closed, and we effectively host no large, popular events), low cases but still had higher death numbers than cases.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 January 2022 - 04:58 PM.

#21098 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 05:15 PM

What I'm trying to show is the discrepancy between cases and deaths, relatively for each country.  

In Sweden, with no lockdowns, they had comparatively fewer deaths compared to cases, even with high case numbers.  On the other hand, we had nearly the tightest lockdowns in the world (even today 3/4 of our restaurants remain closed, and we effectively host no large, popular events), low cases but still had higher death numbers than cases.

The ratios are 44% of their cases and 55% of their deaths.

But I have no idea if their approach to counting cases was any different than ours.

Either way, we had roughly half their death rate and you said yourself that demographics are quite similar.

And we had nothing close to the "tightest lockdowns in the world".

Remember when parts of Europe couldn't leave their house except to walk the dog?

#21099 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 05:29 PM

And we had nothing close to the "tightest lockdowns in the world".

Remember when parts of Europe couldn't leave their house except to walk the dog?

I'll challenge you on that.  In most of central Canada restaurants and events and facilities were closed for 250-300 days total.

3 weeks ago indeed you were not allowed to walk your dog in Quebec after 8pm.  

There were some, short, strict lockdowns in Europe, but nothing as elongated as most of Canada.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 January 2022 - 05:31 PM.

#21100 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 05:42 PM

I'll challenge you on that.  In most of central Canada restaurants and events and facilities were closed for 250-300 days total.

3 weeks ago indeed you were not allowed to walk your dog in Quebec after 8pm.  

There were some, short, strict lockdowns in Europe, but nothing as elongated as most of Canada.

A restaurant being closed is not a lockdown.

And I don't think restaurants were closed for anywhere near that long. Indoor dining, maybe.

Regardless, are you saying that twice the death rate is acceptable so that you can go dine in a restaurant?

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users