COVID-19 / Coronavirus updates in Victoria, BC

• Please log in to reply
26251 replies to this topic

#21061 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 10:13 AM

the maverick party was created barely 2 years ago; i would say that qualifies as "fledgling"

#21062 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,504 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 10:33 AM

the maverick party was created barely 2 years ago; i would say that qualifies as "fledgling"

That was the least important fact. I guess you have to hang on to something. 

#21063 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 10:50 AM

"Hello,

Please note that your article "Trucker convoy’s $4 million in fundraising frozen by GoFundMe" is deceptively reporting old facts and is missing transparent conflicts of interest.

1) Canadian Trucking Association - please include that this group is a donor to the Liberal Party of Canada. You also have not verified with any supporting source that 85% of the 120,000 truckers in Canada are vaccinated.

2) Tamara Lich - please remove the word 'fledgling' as it shows a non-neutral reporting standard.

3) Rachel Hollis - please provide the date the email was received with the comments by the GoFundMe spokesperson. What you reported is information that is 2 days old.

4) GoFundMe - please include a link to the GoFundMe campaign so that readers can verify for themselves if the campaign is indeed frozen and to find out details for themselves beyond your narrative."

Not frozen and now at 4.5 million.

https://www.gofundme...dom-convoy-2022

How do you know it's not frozen?  You can still donate but I don't think they are releasing funds right now, I'm sure it will be fine.  Do you ever really see how these GoFundMe's are dispersed?  Why do we even care?  What is GoFundMe's haul from this you think?  It's being reported that Tamara Lich is asking for EFTs directly to her to disburse and her expenses...  Can that be right?  The truckers tweet you posted however, that's all solid right you don't need any follow up from that.

All for the peaceful protest but still not really sure of the value here.

#21064 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,504 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 10:58 AM

How do you know it's not frozen?  You can still donate but I don't think they are releasing funds right now, I'm sure it will be fine.  Do you ever really see how these GoFundMe's are dispersed?  Why do we even care?  What is GoFundMe's haul from this you think?  It's being reported that Tamara Lich is asking for EFTs directly to her to disburse and her expenses...  Can that be right?  The truckers tweet you posted however, that's all solid right you don't need any follow up from that.

All for the peaceful protest but still not really sure of the value here.

GoFundMe takes nothing. They have a tip option when you donate. Real news would ask her.... I read in the alt stream that they did require her to provide them alternative disbursement plans in order to release funds. That at first they are going directly to a bulk fuel supplier. I can't confirm this. But.... I am not a journalist. If I was I would call her and GoFundMe and get statements. Instead what passes for news is now pure rumour.... Those that make the claim are required to provide the proof. That is the base of ethical reporting. 

Edited by dasmo, 25 January 2022 - 10:59 AM.

#21065 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,504 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 11:05 AM

Also note how prolific this story is as all the other outlets now just copy and paste. Is there any statements from GoFundMe or the organizer in any of these stories? It's a shame that these valued institutions have devolved to this. It takes a lot of effort to find stuff out yourself. We are supposed to rely on journalism to do it for us... 

#21066 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 11:15 AM

GoFundMe takes nothing. They have a tip option when you donate. Real news would ask her.... I read in the alt stream that they did require her to provide them alternative disbursement plans in order to release funds. That at first they are going directly to a bulk fuel supplier. I can't confirm this. But.... I am not a journalist. If I was I would call her and GoFundMe and get statements. Instead what passes for news is now pure rumour.... Those that make the claim are required to provide the proof. That is the base of ethical reporting. 

My impression the money goes straight to the bulk fuel dealer too... But I think as it's grown and she keeps setting higher goals that the amount now will be in excess of what is needed for fuel.  Rest would be for food?  I wouldn't doubt GoFundMe is holding back, and it does look like they reached out as they had direct quotes.  You want them to post some sort of letter?  Don't rely on journalism, but use a little bit of sense to weed through it.  Journalists have always sensationalized stories, this is nothing new.  However the truckers tweet is solid truth and fact.. ;)

#21067 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 11:20 AM

Also note how prolific this story is as all the other outlets now just copy and paste. Is there any statements from GoFundMe or the organizer in any of these stories? It's a shame that these valued institutions have devolved to this. It takes a lot of effort to find stuff out yourself. We are supposed to rely on journalism to do it for us... 

Also, this happens to many stories... Why hire an investigative reporter when you can just copy..  I feel like this is a pretty old process at this point.

#21068 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,504 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 11:34 AM

My impression the money goes straight to the bulk fuel dealer too... But I think as it's grown and she keeps setting higher goals that the amount now will be in excess of what is needed for fuel.  Rest would be for food?  I wouldn't doubt GoFundMe is holding back, and it does look like they reached out as they had direct quotes.  You want them to post some sort of letter?  Don't rely on journalism, but use a little bit of sense to weed through it.  Journalists have always sensationalized stories, this is nothing new.  However the truckers tweet is solid truth and fact.. ;)

At this point the tweet is more reliable. That alone is a sign of the times. How hard is it to get a statement? that isn't an investigation... come on man! 

#21069 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 12:06 PM

At this point the tweet is more reliable. That alone is a sign of the times. How hard is it to get a statement? that isn't an investigation... come on man! 

They did get a statement..  Did you read it?  Hollis is the spokesperson for GoFundMe...  An no that tweet is hardly reliable, I guess unless it tells you what you want to hear lol...  3 of the bullets are wrong or mean nothing...  Fluff...

Edited by Ismo07, 25 January 2022 - 12:10 PM.

#21070 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 12:14 PM

Yes, actually. The organizer was interviewed on CTV News last night, and she seemed every bit as cringeworth as this whole "movement".

Remind me again why they are directing a protest supposedly about mostly provincial mandates at Ottawa?

#21071 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 12:18 PM

Yes, actually. The organizer was interviewed on CTV News last night, and she seemed every bit as cringeworth as this whole "movement".

Remind me again why they are directing a protest supposedly about mostly provincial mandates at Ottawa?

Well as posted previously, because it will make Canadians feel good.   :banana:   This was obviously triggered by the new border mandates about vaccinated drivers.  End of the day it's all a big f'up on both sides... 

Edited by Ismo07, 25 January 2022 - 12:30 PM.

#21072 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 12:21 PM

Well as posted previously, because it will make Canadians feel good.   :banana:   This was obviously trigger by the new border mandates about vaccinated drivers.  End of the day it's all a big f'up on both sides... 

Nah, the truckers insist it isn't about the border mandate but about mandates in general. Nearly all of those are provincially set. Protesting those in Ottawa makes about as much as sense as people that disagree with Victoria bike lanes going to Ottawa or the province.

#21073 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 12:32 PM

Nah, the truckers insist it isn't about the border mandate but about mandates in general. Nearly all of those are provincially set. Protesting those in Ottawa makes about as much as sense as people that disagree with Victoria bike lanes going to Ottawa or the province.

Well the timing is interesting.  I don't think all the truckers are on the same page on this one at all...  As I read more about the organizer and the politics there, the truckers might just be pawns in this scheme...  More to come.

#21074 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,504 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 12:42 PM

And did she confirm the funds are frozen? 

#21075 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,504 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 12:45 PM

They did get a statement..  Did you read it?  Hollis is the spokesperson for GoFundMe...  An no that tweet is hardly reliable, I guess unless it tells you what you want to hear lol...  3 of the bullets are wrong or mean nothing...  Fluff...

Sorry I was also looking at all the headlines that the "funds are frozen". This is days old "We require that fundraisers be transparent about the flow of funds and have a clear plan for how those funds will be spent. In this case, we are in touch with the organizer to verify that information," This is standard as the statement says. So it's also misleading. 

#21076 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 12:51 PM

Sorry I was also looking at all the headlines that the "funds are frozen". This is days old "We require that fundraisers be transparent about the flow of funds and have a clear plan for how those funds will be spent. In this case, we are in touch with the organizer to verify that information," This is standard as the statement says. So it's also misleading. 

It's not misleading.  Are they able to access the funds?  No it doesn't appear to be.  Pretty clear, why do you need more info on that?  It can be a week old, but still sounds like it's on. I'm sure they will get there though this Lich is starting to sound like a piece of work.  

Edited by Ismo07, 25 January 2022 - 12:54 PM.

#21077 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 12:53 PM

In the UK new cases seems to have levelled off. At a plateau a little higher than I’d like.

#21078 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 12:57 PM

Recalling that last week he said there was "light at the end of the tunnel," Quebec Premier François Legault said Tuesday that he now believes the province is coming out of that tunnel — and so will ease more pandemic restrictions as of Jan. 31.

But he said the easing will happen slowly. As of Monday, people can resume private indoor gatherings, but with a maximum of four people from two bubbles, Legault said.

The same rules will apply to dining. Restaurants may reopen to indoor dining as of Monday, with a capacity of 50 per cent. Tables must be limited to four people, again from only two bubbles, and vaccine passports will be required.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-2022-1.6326368

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 January 2022 - 12:57 PM.

• Ismo07 likes this

#21079 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 01:00 PM

I'm sure they will get there though this Lich is starting to sound like a piece of work.

i thought this was kind of funny. coincidence?

Various works of fantasy fiction, such as Clark Ashton Smith's "The Empire of the Necromancers" (1932), had used lich as a general term for any corpse, animated or inanimate, before the term's specific use in fantasy role-playing games. The more recent use of the term lich for a specific type of undead creature originates from the 1976 Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game booklet Greyhawk, written by Gary Gygax and Rob Kuntz.

Often such a creature is the result of a willful transformation, as a powerful wizard skilled in necromancy who seeks eternal life uses rare substances in a magical ritual to become undead. Unlike zombies, which are often depicted as mindless, liches are sapient, retaining their previous intelligence and magical abilities. Liches are often depicted as holding power over lesser undead soldiers and servants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lich

#21080 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 01:01 PM

And did she confirm the funds are frozen? 

My apologies. Lich refused to comment. The video shown was of that she had publicly released.

Freedom Convoy: Vaccine mandate protesters raise millions | CTV News

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users