Photo

COVID-19 / Coronavirus updates in Victoria, BC

• Please log in to reply
26251 replies to this topic

#61 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:56 PM

Local London Drugs ran out of masks over the weekend.

#62 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,294 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:08 PM

there is an awful lot of doubt as the whether they even work to prevent infection of the wearer. in some cases if you adjust it often with your hands it might be worse.

they might be more effective when an infected person wears it to stop easy spreading.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 January 2020 - 08:09 PM.

• jasmineshinga likes this

#63 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:24 PM

The best masks you can get are at hardware stores - they are designed to protect your lungs from fine particulates and they work.   I suspect they are many times more effective than anything you buy at London Drugs (and others) because they are designed around an airtight seals over your mouth and nose and have a decent filter.    The drug store masks I suspect are 99% placebo

#64 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:03 PM

I believe the type London Drugs ran out of was the P95 model. If that means anything to you.

#65 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:55 PM

P95 is a decent rating but it only is relevant if there is a tight seal on the face and I  have not seen any of the disposable (or effectively disposable) ones that get a tight seal.   Now the question is can they work against the flu virus at 0.17 microns when they are rated to remove 95% of 0.30 micron particles?   It should stop any virus that is airborne because of a sneeze as long as there is no gap between the mask and face

I have had to experiment with masks because I have become hyper sensitive to smoke.  I have opted for a P100 to deal with smoke

Home Depot and Canadian Tire both carry robust respirators

Edited by Bernard, 27 January 2020 - 09:57 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#66 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:59 AM

From National Post

John Hopkins University have produced a website that tracks the spread of the virus in other countries as well as the death toll, using real-time data from Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, the World Health Organization, the National Health Commission of the People’s Republic of China, and Dingxiangyuan, a social networking site for health care professionals that provides real-time information on cases.

https://gisanddata.m...423467b48e9ecf6

#67 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:12 AM

The best masks you can get are at hardware stores - they are designed to protect your lungs from fine particulates and they work.   I suspect they are many times more effective than anything you buy at London Drugs (and others) because they are designed around an airtight seals over your mouth and nose and have a decent filter.    The drug store masks I suspect are 99% placebo

I think that the primary benefit for the cheap masks is that they stop you from touching or rubbing your nose which is a major source of infection.

#68 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:38 AM

It was only a matter of time... a very likely case reported in Vancouver, won't be "confirmed" until the lab in Winnipeg provides test results. via https://www.cbc.ca/n...dates-1.5442971

#69 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:58 PM

Whatever came of the woman at the Winnipeg CDC place that was spying for China, or something along those lines?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#70 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,294 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 06:13 PM

The death toll from the coronavirus outbreak in China rose to 132 early Wednesday local time, according to China's National Health Commission, with the total number of confirmed cases across the country hitting nearly 6,000.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...wuhan-1.5442681

#71 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 06:28 PM

The first thing I thought when word of the virus hit the airwaves is "stop international travel to and from the area." Why does it take so long to come to that decision? But when they finally come to that decision, it's swift in all travel ceases immediately.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#72 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:26 PM

Whatever came of the woman at the Winnipeg CDC place that was spying for China, or something along those lines?

Interesting question since there is now a story quietly circulating that the "Wuhan" virus is in fact the result of viral samples smuggled out of the NML/CDC by none other than the aforementioned woman, one Dr. Xiangguo Qiu; as of last fall she remains under investigation by the RCMP in collaboration with CSIS, and all ties with the facility and the University of Manitoba have naturally been severed. This is where it gets very interesting indeed...

Since 2006, she had been studying powerful viruses — Ebola most of all — at the NML.

Both of the viruses that were surreptitiously shipped from that lab to China were studied by Qiu in 2014 (as well as other viruses, including Machupo, Junin, Rift Valley Fever, Crimean-Congo Hemorrhagic Fever, and Hendra). But she paid greatest attention to Ebola; inevitably her work included a variety of Ebola wild strains — among them the most virulent, which has an 80% lethality rate. 

So far so good — or so it would seem. Qiu however just happens to be married to another Chinese scientist, Keding Cheng, a bacteriologist who shifted his specialty to virology and who is also affiliated with the NML. Qiu maintains a close bond with China and visited frequently over the years, and many Chinese students from a notable range of Chinese scientific facilities have joined her at the NML over the past decade. Of those facilities, four are believed to be involved in Chinese biological weapons development. 

They include:  

• The Institute of Military Veterinary, Academy of Military Medical Sciences, Changchun
  • The Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Chengdu Military Region
  • The Wuhan Institute of Virology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Hubei
  • The Institute of Microbiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing

All four facilities collaborated with Qiu on her Ebola research. The Changchun facility also joined a study on the Rift Valley fever virus, while the Beijing lab participated in a study on the Marburg virus. The fear of course is that The Chinese interest in Ebola, Nipah, Marburg, and Rift Valley fever might possibly be beyond scientific and medical needs. 

Significantly, only the Nipah virus is naturally found in China or neighboring countries. That being the case, the relationship between Qiu and China is highly suspicious. The shipment of the two viruses from NML to China is alarming unto itself, but it also raises the question of what other shipments of viruses or other items might have been made to China between 2006 and 2018, the period during which the good doctor routinely visited her homeland. Qiu made at least five trips over the academic year 2017-18 alone to the above-mentioned Wuhan National Biosafety Laboratory of the Chinese Academy of Sciences. I guess we'll see how this plays out.

• Mike K. and lanforod like this

#73 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:21 PM

Should be over 10000 cases tomorrow. Looks like there's about 900 in ICU waiting to die basically. Should be a million by early March although by then what's the point in counting

#74 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 684 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:26 AM

87-year-old woman in Wuhan discharged after recovering from Wuhan virus

https://www.mothersh...er-coronavirus/

#75 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,294 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:45 AM

this los angeles times article is quite good.  real numbers no sensationalism.  not many answers though but it shows paths needed to get to answers.

https://www.latimes....ience-mysteries

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 January 2020 - 05:45 AM.

#76 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:49 AM

Interesting question since there is now a story quietly circulating that the "Wuhan" virus is in fact the result of viral samples smuggled out of the NML/CDC by none other than the aforementioned woman, one Dr. Xiangguo Qiu; as of last fall she remains under investigation by the RCMP in collaboration with CSIS, and all ties with the facility and the University of Manitoba have naturally been severed. This is where it gets very interesting indeed...

Since 2006, she had been studying powerful viruses — Ebola most of all — at the NML.

Both of the viruses that were surreptitiously shipped from that lab to China were studied by Qiu in 2014 (as well as other viruses, including Machupo, Junin, Rift Valley Fever, Crimean-Congo Hemorrhagic Fever, and Hendra). But she paid greatest attention to Ebola; inevitably her work included a variety of Ebola wild strains — among them the most virulent, which has an 80% lethality rate. 

So far so good — or so it would seem. Qiu however just happens to be married to another Chinese scientist, Keding Cheng, a bacteriologist who shifted his specialty to virology and who is also affiliated with the NML. Qiu maintains a close bond with China and visited frequently over the years, and many Chinese students from a notable range of Chinese scientific facilities have joined her at the NML over the past decade. Of those facilities, four are believed to be involved in Chinese biological weapons development. 

They include:  

• The Institute of Military Veterinary, Academy of Military Medical Sciences, Changchun
  • The Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Chengdu Military Region
  • The Wuhan Institute of Virology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Hubei
  • The Institute of Microbiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing

All four facilities collaborated with Qiu on her Ebola research. The Changchun facility also joined a study on the Rift Valley fever virus, while the Beijing lab participated in a study on the Marburg virus. The fear of course is that The Chinese interest in Ebola, Nipah, Marburg, and Rift Valley fever might possibly be beyond scientific and medical needs. 

Significantly, only the Nipah virus is naturally found in China or neighboring countries. That being the case, the relationship between Qiu and China is highly suspicious. The shipment of the two viruses from NML to China is alarming unto itself, but it also raises the question of what other shipments of viruses or other items might have been made to China between 2006 and 2018, the period during which the good doctor routinely visited her homeland. Qiu made at least five trips over the academic year 2017-18 alone to the above-mentioned Wuhan National Biosafety Laboratory of the Chinese Academy of Sciences. I guess we'll see how this plays out.

Yes, very good!

I asked because I did recall the Wuhan connection.

Know it all.

#77 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:57 PM

Air Canada has cancelled all flights to Shanghai and Beijing effective Jan 30 to Feb 29. Flights to Hong Kong are currently not impacted. via https://aircanada.me...eijing-Shanghai

#78 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:23 PM

The first thing I thought when word of the virus hit the airwaves is "stop international travel to and from the area." Why does it take so long to come to that decision? But when they finally come to that decision, it's swift in all travel ceases immediately.

Because our progressives value equality and don't want to discriminate. Mayor Helps tweeted her disgust the other day over a G&M article that advocated a travel advisory.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#79 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,294 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:26 PM

ya we’ve gone insane.

#80 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:33 PM

Well if this virus gets bad enough in Canada you'll see how superficial these so called values really are

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)