COVID-19 / Coronavirus updates in Victoria, BC

• Please log in to reply
26251 replies to this topic

#15761 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,967 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 02:06 PM

first dose uptake seems to have plateaued. now 71% is low. but it seems to be topping out elsewhere at 75 or 76%.

On June 17, 70.3 per cent of Albertans 12 and older had received their first shot. Nearly a week later, on June 23, that number sat at just 71 per cent.

https://globalnews.c...e-june-23-2021/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 June 2021 - 02:08 PM.

#15762 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 02:08 PM

it might be unlikely to go over 80% in most of the country.

which should be just fine. if we look at Israel where all restrictions including mask wearing are done. at less than 70%.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 June 2021 - 02:09 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#15763 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 03:15 PM

it might be unlikely to go over 80% in most of the country.

which should be just fine. if we look at Israel where all restrictions including mask wearing are done. at less than 70%.

Double doses will be lucky to get much higher than 70%.. Not sure everyone who got one will even get the 2nd...

#15764 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 03:40 PM

Lucky? We’ve been 100% guaranteed a 75% double dose by September, remember?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15765 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 04:06 PM

Lucky? We’ve been 100% guaranteed a 75% double dose by September, remember?

What are you on about now?

We are unlikely to achieve 75% coverage until everyone including children are eligible.

The goalposts including those for reopening the border, reducing other restrictions, etc. were all made in the context of eligible recipients (eg, 12+, earlier 18+).

And I've never heard any official "guarantee" and certainly not "100% guarantee" be used in the context of vaccinations. Seems like you're just trolling and trying to illicit a response at this point.

We're definitely on track to have 75% of eligible Canadians fully vaccinated by September. We expect to achieve that by late July/early August. We have the projected supply available to accomplish.

#15766 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 04:11 PM

What are you on about now?
We are unlikely to achieve 75% coverage until everyone including children are eligible.

The goalposts including those for reopening the border, reducing other restrictions, etc. were all made in the context of eligible recipients (eg, 12+, earlier 18+).
And I've never heard any official "guarantee" and certainly not "100% guarantee" be used in the context of vaccinations. Seems like you're just trolling and trying to illicit a response at this point.
We're definitely on track to have 75% of eligible Canadians fully vaccinated by September. We expect to achieve that by late July/early August. We have the projected supply available to accomplish.

This is going to age superbly.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15767 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 04:20 PM

This is going to age superbly.

Canada expects to have enough doses by the end of July to fully vaccinate everyone eligible | CBC News

#15768 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 04:34 PM

Jesus, it’s only been 11 minutes.

We’ll return to this claim in 38 days.

Know it all.

#15769 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 04:37 PM

And when we do you'll go back to *****ing about February...

• Matt R. and vortoozo like this

#15770 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 04:40 PM

I smell nervousness.

Know it all.

#15771 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 04:59 PM

On a more helpful note does anyone know when we might expect to get more Pfizer vaccine in Victoria?

#15772 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:52 PM

Not sure of exact dates, but Mrs. Sparky was contacted for her second vaccination at Sidney long after I was contacted for mine in Victoria. She got hers yesterday and mine is scheduled for next Tuesday at the Conference Centre.

She ended up with Moderna which is a mix from her first Pfizer.   

My wife had both AZ shots, I got Pfizer and am scheduled July 6 for the next shot.

I tried to rebook to get an earlier time but Sidney, Downtown, Esquimalt and Duncan had no earlier times.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#15773 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:55 PM

I know someone that got Moderna today; first shot was Pfizer.

#15774 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 01:06 AM

that’s not rare. I already said hundreds of thousands of Canadians are going to get the mix. it’s unprecedented.

#15775 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 01:58 AM

#15776 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 02:02 AM

Just 5 months ago:

Woman with dementia accidentally given Pfizer vaccine after receiving Moderna dose: daughter

Health authority looking into situation; experts say effects of mixing vaccines unclear

The CIUSSS de l'Est-de-l'Île-de-Montréal wouldn't give further details, citing confidentiality.

But spokesperson Valérie Lafleur said that if this happened, a rigorous review would be put in place involving the medical team, public health and a team from infection prevention and control.

Mixing COVID-19 vaccines

Most concerning to Di Biase is the effect of inoculating her mother with two different vaccines.

The Public Health Agency of Canada says Canadians should receive the same COVID-19 vaccine for both shots — except in very specific and unlikely situations.

According to the public health agency's recommendations on the use of the vaccine, "no data exist on the interchangeability of COVID-19 vaccines."

Both the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Public Health England share those same recommendations.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...cines-1.5885397

national news.

yet every day this week we gave thousands of Canadians the same mix.  hundreds of thousands in total.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 June 2021 - 02:03 AM.

#15777 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 03:04 AM

Canada’s vaccine advisory panel has also said that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines can be used interchangeably.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has been more conservative. The agency says that people who got one dose of either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine may receive a second dose of the other in “exceptional situations,” such as when the original vaccine is not available.

“I cannot imagine that the F.D.A. will allow this kind of mix-and-match strategy without properly evaluating clinical trial data,” Dr. Moore said.

https://www.nytimes....er-moderna.html

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 June 2021 - 03:04 AM.

#15778 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 05:16 AM

Originally they said you could decline a mixed shot if you had received Moderna and were offered Pfizer, or vice versa.  At this point I would do that if I was offered Moderna, having received Pfizer for my first. I just don't know why I'd be the guinea pig if I don't have to.

#15779 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 06:37 AM

You don’t want to be the guy staring into a late night class action lawsuit television commercial asking you to call a 1-800 number if you took a vaccine mix in 2021.

Know it all.

#15780 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 06:41 AM

Originally they said you could decline a mixed shot if you had received Moderna and were offered Pfizer, or vice versa.  At this point I would do that if I was offered Moderna, having received Pfizer for my first. I just don't know why I'd be the guinea pig if I don't have to.

to be fair you can opt out of any vaccine.   first or second shot.  but the nurses and admin staff at the clinics have been told to tell you "they are the same" and just go ahead and get the second dose mix.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users