• 52,865 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 04:30 PM

looks like we are under 700 today.

Maybe only 599 today.

#15742 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 05:02 PM

^Watch for a new wave in the US fueled by young Red State kids passing around the Delta variant.

worldwide deaths and new cases have dropped to levels not seen since last fall.

https://www.worldome...fo/coronavirus/

A "red state" uptick in cases is pretty likely. Whether it translates into additional deaths is another question. The UK has seen an uptick in cases related to the Delta variant, but I don't think it is being reflected in hospitalizations and deaths. 

#15743 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 05:24 PM

It'll be just like the thanksgiving super spreading event no doubt.

#15744 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,865 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 06:17 PM

More than a million people in the province — 24 per cent of those eligible — are fully vaccinated, B.C.’s top doctor said Tuesday as she reported just 56 new cases of COVID-19 in the province, including three in Island Health.

So far, 4.5 million vaccinations have been delivered, of which 1.1 million were second doses, said provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry, as she delivered her weekly COVID update with B.C. Health Minister Adrian Dix from Prince George.

https://www.timescol...-b-c-1.24334232

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 June 2021 - 06:17 PM.

#15745 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 04:25 AM

Here is an entire very lengthy article about mixing doses.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...anada-1.6075765

all kinds of experts express shock - shock! - that some might not want to go along with it.

the article says many times that the two MRNA vaccines are “nearly identical”.

the experts try to give a few reasons why Canadians might reject the idea.

but alas after 20 or 30 paragraphs it never seems to occur to anyone in the article or the author that the hesitancy might because the CDC and the two vaccine manufacturers both do not support the concept, and almost all other countries including the one closest to us also reject the concept.

NO BALANCE AT ALL FROM CBC NEWS here.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 June 2021 - 04:28 AM.

#15746 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 06:30 AM

I am not wild about the idea of mixing vaccines, and the CDC in the U&S recommends against it. Have there actually been any clinical studies run on this or is the government just on a political drive to get vaccines in regardless. 

• Ismo07 likes this

#15747 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 06:40 AM

I am thinking of changing my appointment to Sidney, does anyone know what dates are being given in Sidney?

#15748 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 06:41 AM

there have been hundreds or thousands of trial subjects in the UK. but monitoring of the results is not complete.

but in Canada we have asked tens or hundreds of thousands to mix just this week - with no specific monitoring.

#15749 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:00 AM

I am thinking of changing my appointment to Sidney, does anyone know what dates are being given in Sidney?

Not sure of exact dates, but Mrs. Sparky was contacted for her second vaccination at Sidney long after I was contacted for mine in Victoria. She got hers yesterday and mine is scheduled for next Tuesday at the Conference Centre.

She ended up with Moderna which is a mix from her first Pfizer.   

#15750 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:14 AM

TOKYO: No alcohol, no hugs, no cheers and no autographs: Tokyo Olympic organisers unveiled tough new rules for spectators at the pandemic Games on Wednesday (Jun 23), as they marked one month until the opening ceremony.

Tokyo 2020 president Seiko Hashimoto warned festivities "will have to be suppressed" to keep the Games safe, and conceded that organisers will need to be "creative" to stoke a party atmosphere.

Games chiefs decided on Monday to allow up to 10,000 spectators into competition venues, but Hashimoto warned them not to expect the kind of festival mood currently being enjoyed by football fans at Euro 2020.

"In Europe, the venues are filled with celebration," she said.

"Unfortunately, we may not be able to do the same."

Spectators will need to clear several antivirus requirements, including temperature checks and mask-wearing, just to get into venues - with no refunds available for those who can't.

Once inside, they are forbidden from cheering or "making direct contact with other spectators" and will be asked to go straight home after events end.

Asking athletes for autographs or "expressing verbal support" is also a no-no, as is waving a towel or "any form of cheering that could create a crowd".

"The festive mood will have to be suppressed - that has become a major challenge," Hashimoto told reporters.

https://www.channeln...ontact-15073800

MOSCOW: A black market in fake vaccination certificates is thriving in Russia after Moscow city authorities ordered all public-facing workers to be vaccinated against COVID-19.

Adverts for illegal false certificates are easily found on the Telegram messenger app, targeting unvaccinated Russians who want to avoid shots but keep their jobs. Prices are rising fast and demand appears to be growing.

Moscow and several Russian regions have resorted to tough measures to encourage people to get vaccinated because of a new rise in coronavirus infections blamed by the Kremlin on the more infectious Delta variant.

https://www.channeln...nation-15076068

More than 150 employees at the Houston Methodist hospital in Texas were fired or resigned after failing to comply with orders to get a COVID-19 vaccination to continue working there, a hospital spokeswoman said Tuesday.
https://medicalxpres...ff-vaccine.html

Almost 900 Secret Service employees tested positive for the novel coronavirus in the first year of the pandemic, which is more than previously known, according to a nonprofit group. 

Between March 1, 2020 and March 9, 2021 “881 active Secret Service employees were diagnosed with COVID,” Citizens For Responsibility and Ethics in Washington said in a report on Tuesday, based on documents obtained under the Freedom of Information Act. “The list consists of 477 special agents; 249 members of the Uniformed Division; 131 working in administrative, professional and technical positions; 12 investigative protection officers; and 12 technical security investigators. The records ... do not include the names or assignments of those who tested positive.” 

The agency had 7,576 employees as of March 2021, and 7,535 as of March 2020, according to the Office of Personnel Management’s data. Therefore, the positive cases represent about 11.7% of the workforce. 

It is unclear how many (if any) hospitalizations and deaths there were.

Actions President Trump took last year, such as campaign rallies and riding in a car to visit supporters when he was being treated for COVID-19 at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, raised concerns about Secret Service agents and others getting sick. 

“While there have been reports of Trump’s Secret Service struggling with coronavirus cases, the number is far greater than had previously been known,” said CREW. “Due to personal privacy reasons, we do not know whom the special agents who tested positive were assigned to protect or when, exactly, they tested positive.”

https://www.govexec....y-known/174865/

Axios has published a report on an excerpt of Nightmare Scenario, the upcoming book from Washington Post correspondents Yasmeen Abutaleb and Damian Paletta. The book drew interest earlier this week for reporting Trump wanted to quarantine Covid-infected Americans in Guantanamo Bay. Now, a newly previewed portion says, “Trump had tried to joke about the virus for months, sometimes even mocking people who had become ill.”

The anecdote chronicled by Axios asserts that months before Trump contracted Covid himself, he was in a meeting where National Economic Council director Larry Kudlow “stifled a cough [and] the room had frozen.”

“Trump had waved his hands in front of his face, as if to jokingly ward off any flying virus particles, and then cracked a smile,” Axios reports. “‘I was just kidding,’ he’d said. ‘Larry will never get Covid. He will defeat it with his optimism…John Bolton…Hopefully Covid takes out John.'”

Sources for Abutaleb and Paletta told them they believed Trump was being serious when he wished death upon Bolton. When reached for comment, Bolton told Axios “Fooled me — I thought he was relying on his lawyers.”

https://www.mediaite...olton-new-book/

#15751 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:41 AM

I am not wild about the idea of mixing vaccines, and the CDC in the U&S recommends against it. Have there actually been any clinical studies run on this or is the government just on a political drive to get vaccines in regardless. 

There have been some (mostly small I think) studies on mixing, and they showed better protection than two shots of the same vaccine. But all of these that I have seen have been for mixing AZ with Pfizer. But to be fair, a heterologous vaccine approach is commonly used in other areas.

#15752 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 08:59 AM

Which vaccine are they doing in Victoria?

#15753 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 09:03 AM

There have been some (mostly small I think) studies on mixing, and they showed better protection than two shots of the same vaccine. But all of these that I have seen have been for mixing AZ with Pfizer. But to be fair, a heterologous vaccine approach is commonly used in other areas.

well canada is now conducting the largest experiment in the world.   by far.  but not specifically monitoring the results.  a few hundred thousand canadians have already "volunteered".

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 June 2021 - 09:06 AM.

#15754 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 09:12 AM

Several countries are mixing and matching vaccines.

#15755 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 09:40 AM

I am leaning towards waiting to get the same vaccine. 

• Nparker likes this

#15756 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 09:51 AM

Just talked to a neighbor who got her shot this morning downtown and it was Moderna.

#15757 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 10:13 AM

I had a look at the booking site. It's offering July 7 as the earliest date in Sidney. Pretty similar to in town, I think.

#15758 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 10:21 AM

do you specifically say the CDC is wrong?

#15759 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 11:55 AM

A CDC advisory panel suggested a likely link between mRNA COVID-19 vaccines and rare reports of heart inflammation in younger age groups, but noted that the benefits of receiving a shot still "clearly outweigh" the risks.

The COVID-19 Vaccine Safety Technical (VaST) Work Group, which presented during the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) meeting Wednesday, said the "data available to date suggest likely association of myocarditis with mRNA vaccination in adolescents and young adults." The group noted myocarditis most often appeared after the second dose, which was similar to data reported through VAERS.

The experts also discussed potentially adding risk language to vaccines.

https://www.foxnews....ssues-cdc-panel

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 June 2021 - 11:55 AM.

#15760 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 01:03 PM

What's a buffet of mRNA vaccines do to that risk?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users