COVID-19 / Coronavirus updates in Victoria, BC

• Please log in to reply
17871 replies to this topic

#15701 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 64,927 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 06:36 AM

Because there has been a near media blackout of infection details. We don’t even know the neighbourhoods of infections unless the health authority identifies them through naming an exposure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15702 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 5,907 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 08:07 AM

Habs coach Dominique Ducharme confirmed positive for COVID-19, in isolation
https://www.cbc.ca/s...covid-1.6071015

Специальная программа медицинской реабилитации после коронавируса будет запущена в России, на нее выделят не менее 100 млрд рублей. Об этом заявил президент РФ Владимир Путин на XX съезде партии «Единая Россия» в субботу, 19 июня.

«Прошу вас вместе с правительством запустить уже с этого года специальную программу по развитию системы медицинской реабилитации, рассчитанную до 2026 года включительно, выделить на эту программу не менее 100 млрд рублей», — указал глава государства.

По его словам, работу в этом направлении необходимо развернуть «широким фронтом» в ближайшее время.

Путин обратил внимание на то, что многие россияне столкнулись с серьезными осложнениями после коронавируса, и последствия инфекции до сих пор изучаются — речь идет не только о поражении легких, но и о сердечно-сосудистых заболеваниях.

A special program of medical rehabilitation after coronavirus will be launched in Russia, at least 100 billion rubles will be allocated for it. This was stated by Russian President Vladimir Putin at the XX Congress of the United Russia party on Saturday, June 19.

“I ask you, together with the government, to launch a special program for the development of the medical rehabilitation system, calculated until 2026, inclusive, to allocate at least 100 billion rubles for this program,” the head of state said.

According to him, work in this direction should be launched on a "broad front" in the near future.

Putin drew attention to the fact that many Russians are faced with serious complications after the coronavirus, and the consequences of the infection are still being studied - we are talking not only about lung damage, but also about cardiovascular diseases.

https://iz.ru/118112...-posle-covid-19

One month after mocking Dr. Anthony Fauci for stating it’s finally okay for vaccinated people to go outside without a mask, Buffalo Bills wide receiver Cole Beasley is speaking out against getting the jab.

“Hi, I’m Cole Beasley and I’m not vaccinated! I will be outside doing what I do. I’ll be out in public. If you’re scared of me then steer clear, or get vaccinated,” Beasley wrote in a statement shared on social media.

Not only will he not be getting vaccinated, but Beasley also stated he won’t follow certain NFL protocols for Covid. The NFL announced their updated Covid rules earlier this week, and they remain heavily restrictive for players who choose not to get vaccinated against the virus.

*snip*

“I may die of covid, but I’d rather die actually living. I have family members whose days are numbered. If they want to come see me and stay at my house then they are coming regardless of protocol,” Beasley added.

Beasley goes on to explain how he plans to protect himself from Covid, instead of getting vaccinated. “I’d rather take my chances with Covid and build up m immunity that way. Eat better. Drink water. Exercise and do what I think is necessary to be a healthy individual.”

Last month, Bills general manager Brandon Beane said he would cut an unvaccinated player, if it meant reduced restrictions for the team, allowing them to operate under more normal circumstances. But that threat doesn’t seem to scare the 32-year-old Beasley, who stated “if I’m forced into retirement, so be it.”

“A lot of other NFL players hold my position as well but aren’t in the right place in their careers to be so outspoken,” the veteran wide receiver said.

https://www.mediaite...ctually-living/

#15703 Klapecki

Klapecki
  • 398 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 09:31 AM

The Pennyfarthing was 4 staff and 1 customer I believe. Unsure of whether it was customer to staff or vice versa.

I’ve read zero reports of anyone getting covid as a customer at a Victoria restaurant since this began.

#15704 SimonH

SimonH
  • 839 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 01:52 PM

The US is considering opening for people who are fully vaccinated. Unfortunately AZ does not count since it is not an approved vaccine in the US. This could get awkward.

Source ?

#15705 Rob Randall

Rob Randall

BIG TEXAS FORUMER

• 16,309 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 02:00 PM

A friend writes:

"We got the call yesterday from the pharmacy to see if we’d like to come in for our second dose of Astra, so we booked for early next week. Today, 8 weeks to the day from our first shot of Astra, we got the invite from the BC Govt to come for our second shot, which would be either Pfizer or Moderna, and there were appointments available on the same day offered for our Astra.

Talk about weighing a decision! We had always said, whichever one was offered first; however, with all the hubbub about astra in the U.S. not being an acceptable vaccine - at least at this point (even though it is a prominent vaccine in Britain and Europe); the Canadian vaccine authorities saying one thing but BC’s Dr. Bonnie Henry saying another; and studies showing a mix indicated the immuno response would be more effective, we were faced with a conundrum. 
So, in the end, given all the press lately and pros and cons, we have cancelled our Astra Zeneca appt and will get our MRNA vaccine instead next week, hoping for minimal side effects."

• Nparker likes this

“I mean I just don’t understand the big Texas part, like maybe he’s from Texas? I want to know the back story.”

#15706 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 03:00 PM

Source ?

There was some news about the Springsteen show on Broadway not accepting the AZ as proof of vaccine, but that was venue specific and they’ve backtracked on that now. That’s the only reference to AZ not being acceptable that I’ve seen.

Matt.

#15707 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 03:48 PM

AZ's been used in something like 178 countries (more than any other vaccine; partly because of the storage temperature issues with the mRNA vaccines). The US isn't going to stop people who got AZ from coming there, especially since that would include most of the UK. Well, that and the fact that J&J is less effective, and 40% of Americans won't be vaccinated in the first place.

• Matt R. likes this

#15708 LJ

LJ
  • 10,717 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 06:48 PM

The US is considering opening for people who are fully vaccinated. Unfortunately AZ does not count since it is not an approved vaccine in the US. This could get awkward.

As Bonnie said, all the border openings etc. will be based on WHO approved vaccines.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#15709 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 25,088 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 07:31 PM

According to CBC's vaccine tracker, just over 20 per cent of eligible Canadians — those 12 years of age and older — are now fully vaccinated. And just over 75 per cent of eligible Canadians have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-2021-1.6072449

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 June 2021 - 07:31 PM.

• Nparker and Greg like this

#15710 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 25,088 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 07:42 PM

screenshot-www.worldometers.info-2021.06.19-23_39_33.png

#15711 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 64,927 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 05:39 AM

Where is this low dosage figure for the US coming from? The US CDC says “The majority of U.S. states and territories have administered at or above 73.7% of their first vaccine doses delivered.”

All US states are identified at 60-69% or higher. Two small territories are identified as less than 60%. California, with a population similar to that of Canada, is at 80-89% on the chart below.

And here’s an interesting footnote: “To maintain inventory, some vaccine will always be kept in supply; so percentages are not expected to reach 100%.”

See: https://www.cdc.gov/...irst-doses.html

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15712 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 25,088 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 07:08 AM

cases still falling. only 421 today in all of Ontario and Quebec. so we will end up with well under 800 for the country.

Yesterday we had 854.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 June 2021 - 07:12 AM.

#15713 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 5,907 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 07:30 AM

Victoria is among four cities that will host modified quarantine bubbles for Olympic and Paralympic athletes who have been training outside the country prior to the Tokyo Summer Games.

The allowance is being made under a National Interest Exemption that will let athletes, coaches and staff avoid the standard 14-day quarantine period.

Athletes and staff will still need to stay at a government-authorized hotel when they return to Canada, but once they receive a negative result, they’ll be able to join one of the training bubbles in Victoria, Calgary, Toronto or Montreal.

In the bubbles, they will be limited to their accommodation and training facilities, and will not be able to interact with the public. Each bubble will have a “compliance officer” and COVID-19 testing will take place regulary.

Anyone who breaches the conditions will be removed from their training or team to complete a regular 14-day quarantine. They could also face fines or prosecution.

https://www.timescol...etes-1.24333225

A 35-year-old man who had had coronavirus and medical history of diabetes has been recorded as Argentina's first death caused by “black fungus,” it was announced Friday.

The patient, who died in the last weeks of May, had been hospitalized in Lomas de Zamora, a suburb outside the Autonomous City of Buenos Aires (CABA).

Commonly known as “black fungus,” the disease is called mucormycosis and attacks those who suffer or have suffered from coronavirus.

https://en.mercopres...ck-fungus-death

Директор НИЦ эпидемиологии и микробиологии имени Гамалеи Александр Гинцбург рассказал 20 июня, что индийский штамм коронавируса сокращает время выработки антител.

«Эта картина, которую, по всей видимости, дает индийский штамм, она более агрессивная. Протекает более молниеносно по сравнению с уханьским штаммом [...] Он злее. Он сокращает время перехода от легкой симптоматики к тяжелым формам протекания заболевания, тем самым сокращая время возможного появления собственных антител», — сказал он в эфире передачи «Вести недели» на канале «Россия 1».

Ученый также подчеркнул, что российская вакцина «Спутник V» обеспечивает защиту от всех известных на сегодняшний день штаммов коронавирусной инфекции.

«Антитела, которые получаются в результате использования «Спутника V», защищают от всех на сегодняшний день известных штаммов, начиная от британского и кончая, соответственно, штаммом «Дельта», индийским штаммом», — пояснил он.

Alexander Gunzburg, director of the Gamaleya Research Center for Epidemiology and Microbiology, said on June 20 that the Indian strain of coronavirus shortens the time for antibody production.

“This picture, which the Indian strain seems to give, is more aggressive. It proceeds more lightning fast in comparison with the Wuhan strain [...] It is meaner. It shortens the time for the transition from mild symptoms to severe forms of the disease, thereby reducing the time for the possible appearance of their own antibodies, "he said on the air of the Vesti Nedeli program on the Russia 1 channel.

The scientist also stressed that the Russian Sputnik V vaccine provides protection against all currently known strains of coronavirus infection.

"The antibodies that are obtained as a result of using Sputnik V protect against all currently known strains, from the British and ending, respectively, the Delta strain, the Indian strain," he explained.

https://iz.ru/118142...rabotki-antitel

МОСКВА, 20 июн — РИА Новости. Коронавирус может стать причиной артритов, волчанки и полимиозитов, предупредила главный ревматолог депздрава Москвы Алена Загребнева.

"Все, что касается аутоиммунных заболеваний — мы знаем про них много, но ничего конкретного. Безусловно, пусковыми факторами может быть инфекция, особенно вирусная, в том числе коронавирусная", — рассказала она в эфире радиостанции "Говорит Москва".

По словам врача, сейчас медики наблюдают появление суставных заболеваний после перенесенного COVID-19, причем происходит это как после тяжелого, так и после легкого течения инфекции.

"Мы видим отсроченный всплеск через один, три, шесть месяцев — дебюты аутоиммунных заболеваний, таких как ревматоидный артрит, системная красная волчанка, полимиозиты", — добавила Загребнева.

MOSCOW, June 20 - RIA Novosti. The coronavirus can cause arthritis, lupus and polymyositis, warned Alena Zagrebneva, chief rheumatologist of the Moscow Department of Health.

"Everything related to autoimmune diseases - we know a lot about them, but nothing concrete. Of course, an infection, especially a viral one, including a coronavirus, can be triggering factors," she said on the air of the Moscow Says radio station.

According to the doctor, now doctors are observing the appearance of joint diseases after suffering from COVID-19, and this happens both after a severe and after a mild course of infection.

"We see a delayed surge in one, three, six months - the debuts of autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, polymyositis," Zagrebneva added.

https://ria.ru/20210...1737787761.html

В Петербурге ввели обязательную вакцинацию и ограничения по COVID
Compulsory vaccination and restrictions on COVID introduced in St. Petersburg
https://ura.news/news/1052490415

BEIJING, June 16 (Reuters) - Striking a blow for China’s so-called vaccine diplomacy, state media have mocked the United States for calling attention to its donation of 80 vials of COVID-19 vaccines to Trinidad and Tobago.

"Would this be selected for the Worst Public Relations Award of the Year?" the official Xinhua news agency said on Wednesday in an article on WeChat, which compiled more than 10 mocking tweets by other social media users under a U.S. embassy Twitter statement announcing the donation.

https://www.reuters....ago-2021-06-16/

More than 1 billion COVID-19 vaccine doses administered in China: Health ministry
https://www.channeln...nistry-15053744

Chinese-language anti-communist media and Twitter are abuzz this week with rumors that a vice minister of State Security, Dong Jingwei defected in mid-February, flying from Hong Kong to the United States with his daughter, Dong Yang.

Dong Jingwei supposedly gave the U.S. information about the Wuhan Institute of Virology that changed the stance of the Biden administration concerning the origins of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Dong is, or was, a longtime official in China’s Ministry of State Security (MSS), also known as the Guoanbu. His publicly available background indicates that he was responsible for the Ministry’s counterintelligence efforts in China, i.e., spy-catching, since being promoted to vice minister in April 2018. If the stories are true, Dong would be the highest-level defector in the history of the People’s Republic of China.

Dong’s defection was raised by Chinese officials last March at the Sino-American summit in Alaska, according to Dr. Han Lianchao, a former Chinese foreign ministry official before defecting after the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre. In a Wednesday tweet, Han, citing an unnamed source, alleged that China’s foreign minister Wang Yi and Communist Party foreign affairs boss Yang Jiechi demanded that the Americans return Dong, and U.S. Secretary of State Anthony Blinken refused.

Former Pentagon, State Department, and CIA expert Nicholas Eftimiades, author of Chinese Espionage: Operations and Tactics, called the report “exactly what it is, a rumor. It happens all the time” in the information warfare between Beijing and anti-communist overseas Chinese. But he called Dr. Han, a pro-democracy activist with the Washington, D.C.-based Citizen Power Initiative for China group, “a straight shooter, not known to exaggerate in any way or form… trusted for his integrity.”

Mollie Saltskog, a senior intelligence analyst with The Soufan Group who earned a master’s degree in global affairs from Tsinghua University in Beijing, also urged caution, saying the rumors of defections surface regularly. “While significant and certainly useful for our intelligence efforts,” she added, “one high-level defection will not drastically change our understanding or approach to China. In short, if true, this is potentially significant but not a game changer.”

The State Department did not respond to a request for comment by press time. It typically does not comment on defectors. A half dozen experts on Chinese intelligence queried by SpyTalk said they had no information to share on Dong’s alleged defection.

https://ca.movies.ya...-192530355.html
https://www.thedaily...g-jingwei-swirl

#15714 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 07:38 AM

For the first time since Covid started, walking around downtown felt normal. Restaurants were packed and there was some sort of car event going on. Not much social distancing.
  • Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#15715 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 07:45 AM

Where is this low dosage figure for the US coming from? The US CDC says “The majority of U.S. states and territories have administered at or above 73.7% of their first vaccine doses delivered.”

All US states are identified at 60-69% or higher. Two small territories are identified as less than 60%. California, with a population similar to that of Canada, is at 80-89% on the chart below.

And here’s an interesting footnote: “To maintain inventory, some vaccine will always be kept in supply; so percentages are not expected to reach 100%.”

See: https://www.cdc.gov/...irst-doses.html

You're talking about a completely different number there. That article is reporting on what percentage of doses that have been delivered to the states have been administered. Not what percentage of people have received a dose.  Around 53% of Americans have received at least one dose currently.

vaccine 20Jun2021.png

Edited by Greg, 20 June 2021 - 07:46 AM.

#15716 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 25,088 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 07:55 AM

Alberta:  'We will be open for good': Nearly all restrictions to be lifted on Canada Day, says Kenney

Stage 3 of reopening will mean no more restrictions on weddings or funerals, sports, gyms or fitness and no bans on indoor or outdoor gatherings

https://calgaryheral...day-says-kenney

meanwhile we do not even know if a single fan will be allowed at our basketball tournament that starts june 29th.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 June 2021 - 07:56 AM.

#15717 Rob Randall

Rob Randall

BIG TEXAS FORUMER

• 16,309 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 08:22 AM

I have a feeling Victoria's March 2020 shutdown really helped us. Anecdotally, I heard of a household of four young women (students, early 20s), living in a house here in Victoria that all got very sick with a flu-like illness.

Turns out one of the girl's fathers had just returned from a visit to the Wuhan region. They were never tested so will never know for sure but this makes me think the virus was circulating here in the beginning but it burned itself out before catching hold. Just a hunch.

This was back when we were unnecessarily sanitizing our groceries but not really wearing masks.

Edited by Rob Randall, 20 June 2021 - 09:55 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

“I mean I just don’t understand the big Texas part, like maybe he’s from Texas? I want to know the back story.”

#15718 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 64,927 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 09:46 AM

You're talking about a completely different number there. That article is reporting on what percentage of doses that have been delivered to the states have been administered. Not what percentage of people have received a dose. Around 53% of Americans have received at least one dose currently.

vaccine 20Jun2021.png

Ah!

Ok that makes sense. I was reading a few articles last night and they all referred to the 53% (etc) figure then a CDC update spoke of the figures I quoted.

That’s sort of confusing.

Know it all.

#15719 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 25,088 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 12:55 PM

cases still falling. only 421 today in all of Ontario and Quebec. so we will end up with well under 800 for the country.

Yesterday we had 854.

Manitoba reports 93 new COVID-19 cases, lowest increase since April

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ne-20-1.6071061

#15720 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 25,088 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 02:17 AM

Yesterday we had 854.

731 Sunday.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1), RoadRunner