COVID-19 / Coronavirus updates in Victoria, BC

• Please log in to reply
26251 replies to this topic

#15661 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 07:41 AM

How far we’ve come from January, when people were so desperate for a vaccine they chartered private aircraft and pretended to be remote resource industry workers to get a dose.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15662 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 07:43 AM

How far we’ve come from January, when people were so desperate for a vaccine they chartered private aircraft and pretended to be remote resource industry workers to get a dose.

Or pretended to be FN

#15663 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 07:44 AM

It helped they made them, too.

Where's Canada's vaccine? We invested vast sums into Canadian vaccine efforts. What's the result of that investment? https://www.canada.c...g-capacity.html

Where are the 60,000 respirators we paid $1.2B for? Look Mike, if you want to start asking questions about where all of the money went you are going to be labelled a troublemaker!

#15664 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 07:49 AM

I guess the real solution was to throw a party and get drunk, and really really a noxious. Then you’d find yourself at the front of the vaccine line.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15665 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 08:04 AM

^ the whistler method™.

Quebec reports 127 new COVID-19 cases, active cases lowest since August

https://montreal.ctv...ugust-1.5476120

Ontario reports 345 new cases of COVID-19, one death, over 210,000 vaccinations

https://www.newwestr...nations-3887090

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 June 2021 - 08:06 AM.

#15666 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 08:08 AM

A lot of questionable information here Mike.

Are we the only country to delay second doses? The UK used a gap of 8-9 weeks for priority patients and 11-12 weeks for others. Denmark, Norway, and France also delayed second doses to get more first doses out. The CDC changed their guidance to allow up 42 days between shots. If we're playing Monday morning quarterback, then we should also note that we now have data suggesting that the delay in second doses led to an increase in efficacy if anything.

And as for the value of prioritizing first doses versus two doses, and then comparing us "unfavorably" to the US as a result, it seems like the key metric would be deaths per capita, where we have stayed well below the US.

We got off to a slow start. We recovered reasonably well. We are currently giving more doses per day than any of the comparator countries ever did at any timepoint. So much so that your "14%" number you posted this morning is already outdated as we have more than 16% with second doses currently. We'll catch the US in second doses in a couple of weeks and then blow by them. 

We didn't do a great job, we didn't do a terrible job.

• Matt R., vortoozo, m3m and 1 other like this

#15667 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 08:58 AM

^ I think the issue most people have is that they were made to be guinea pigs without their knowledge in order to hit artificial targets. Now we are get the glad handing and back slapping when in fact a lot of people are potentially screwed as a result. 

Unless you did a lot of your own research like I and several others here did you never knew about the problems with the AZ vaccine. You were never told that it came from a factory designated as contaminated, that the US wouldn't allow the vaccine to be given to its own citizens, that it was ineffective against the most virulent strains. Instead the political class and "health experts" made sure they got the "good stuff" while telling you to shut up and take whatever was offered. Now those people who did as they were told may not be able to travel to the US and are at much higher risk to health risks from variants than those they listened to. 

Sure the AZ vaccine is better than nothing but lets not celebrate how people were misled to get to where we are.

#15668 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 09:03 AM

horgan got 2x AZ.

#15669 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 09:11 AM

horgan got 2x AZ.

That is what he claims yes. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#15670 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 10:54 AM

We got off to a slow start. We recovered reasonably well. We are currently giving more doses per day than any of the comparator countries ever did at any timepoint. So much so that your "14%" number you posted this morning is already outdated as we have more than 16% with second doses currently.

I'd wager that's because everyone ahead of us has already hit their distribution peak, meaning Canada has the luxury of tapping into more supply at a larger volume seven months into the vaccine rollout the other countries didn't have in months 1-6.

Update!: Canada is now at 16%! Soon we'll surpass Turkey, but Latvia continues to dodge us.

Know it all.

#15671 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 11:03 AM

I can’t even find Latvia on my TC map.
  • Matt R., Greg and todd like this

#15672 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 01:04 PM

That is what he claims yes.

Are you actually accusing him of this conspiracy? Or just throwing it out there so people will wonder, but leaving it vague enough that you can deny supporting it?
  • Rob Randall likes this

#15673 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 01:48 PM

Are you actually accusing him of this conspiracy? Or just throwing it out there so people will wonder, but leaving it vague enough that you can deny supporting it?

I only heard of Horgan getting his first shot in mid-April. Seems a little early to have received a second shot but if that is what he claims then fine.

#15674 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 01:52 PM

I heard him say it in audio or video form. that he got it or was scheduled to get it.

says he did it after long discussions with henry.
  • Tailor likes this

#15675 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 02:01 PM

I heard him say it in audio or video form. that he got it or was scheduled to get it.

says he did it after long discussions with henry.

Henry is still saying that people should take whatever is given them although that is now offside with the NACI who is stating that AZ is not preferred

NACI advice to mix vaccines gets varied reaction from AstraZeneca double-dosers - AirdrieToday.com

I guess we want to hit our 100% by September no matter what.

Edited by spanky123, 18 June 2021 - 02:03 PM.

#15676 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 02:28 PM

I'd wager that's because everyone ahead of us has already hit their distribution peak, meaning Canada has the luxury of tapping into more supply at a larger volume seven months into the vaccine rollout the other countries didn't have in months 1-6.

Update!: Canada is now at 16%! Soon we'll surpass Turkey, but Latvia continues to dodge us.

We're at most a couple months behind the US, which considering their protectionist agenda was expected. We surpassed their first dose percentage about 2 months behind them, and will do the same for second doses.

What do you think should have been done differently? 3 week window between doses? That's proving to be less effective in many cases, and in any case was more of a NACI then a political recommendation.

Do you think a different political party would have been able to procure doses in different amounts or on different schedules? I struggle to see how - we're receiving and delivering more doses per capita than the EU countries, for instance. Possibly if they bet on a different basket of manufacturers and correctly guessed Pfizer & Moderna would have the early lead vs. the strategy that was used of spreading out the orders over 7 different manufacturers. But what if they didn't pick those two?

It's been quite tiresome watching the opposition parties moan about the vaccine roll out, when in all likelihood they couldn't have done any better, and possibly they could have done a lot worse. 

And I'm not even a Liberal.

• qv likes this

#15677 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 02:37 PM

We're at most a couple months behind the US, which considering their protectionist agenda was expected. We surpassed their first dose percentage about 2 months behind them, and will do the same for second doses.

What do you think should have been done differently? 3 week window between doses? That's proving to be less effective in many cases, and in any case was more of a NACI then a political recommendation.

Do you think a different political party would have been able to procure doses in different amounts or on different schedules? I struggle to see how - we're receiving and delivering more doses per capita than the EU countries, for instance. Possibly if they bet on a different basket of manufacturers and correctly guessed Pfizer & Moderna would have the early lead vs. the strategy that was used of spreading out the orders over 7 different manufacturers. But what if they didn't pick those two?

It's been quite tiresome watching the opposition parties moan about the vaccine roll out, when in all likelihood they couldn't have done any better, and possibly they could have done a lot worse. 

And I'm not even a Liberal.

Naysayers and curmudgeons would rather blame about being a couple months behind.  Negative news is more fun than positive.  Complaining is more fun for whatever reason.  Greg said it best, armchair quarterbacks who will whine and "I knew they should've done this..."  Exhausting... 

• qv likes this

#15678 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 02:40 PM

^ ^ “protectionist agenda”? like they made a choice to save their own citizens from death over other nations?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 June 2021 - 02:41 PM.

• Dexter likes this

#15679 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 02:55 PM

If Trudeau had joined operation warp speed instead of going with the Chinese vaccine program we'd be fully open right now too. That's a fact.

#15680 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 03:11 PM

If Trudeau had joined operation warp speed instead of going with the Chinese vaccine program we'd be fully open right now too. That's a fact.

There wasn't an invite I don't believe...  The US isn't fully open because of vaccines, they are open because of pressure and politics... I don't believe they will ever get close to 60% fully vaccinated.  This Covid is likely going to stick around forever...  Part of our lives...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users