CANCELLED
Pacific Maritime Centre
Uses: office, civic
Address: 790 McCallum Road
Municipality: Langford
Region: West Shore
Storeys: 9
The Pacific Maritime Centre is a mixed-use development incorporating an office component, a performing arts sp... (view full profile)
Learn more about Pacific Maritime Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

[Langford] Pacific Maritime Centre | Maritime Museum of BC; office; commercial | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#21 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:15 AM

The RBCM plan was announced exactly 10 years ago. Back in 2008 they laid out their 15 year plan for revitalization that was supposed to take them into the next 100 years. Here it is 12 years later and nothing's happened. I don't know why it fizzled out. Hats off to Langford if they can pull this off.

Oh I completely bungled my read of the acronym. I was still on about the Maritime Museum in Bastion Square. My bad!

Regarding what you were actually talking about, RBCM has a site specific zone, CD-13 Royal British Columbia Museum. According to the document the zone was adopted May 2011.

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,168 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:18 AM

Aha, so rezoning did go through. Thank you.

I seem to recall the plan lived and died with the director of the museum.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:18 AM

^So the only progress the RBCM has made on their 15 year revitalization program is their present buildings are no longer illegal. Go Victoria!

• Nparker and AllseeingEye like this

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,168 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:19 AM

Well that and they partially blocked the mammoth.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#25 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:21 AM

Don't forget the Childrens' Museum plan from that same time. We should have a Museum of Failed Museums.

• Nparker, Bernard and Victoria Watcher like this

#26 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:21 AM

On one hand it would be unfortunate for the maritime museum to no longer be in downtown Victoria, and perhaps part of the eventual much-envisaged waterfront complex replacing a parking lot. On the other hand, the museum and its artifacts are deserving of a grand space, so if they and Langford can pull it off, all power to them.

#27 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:26 AM

Lyric:

...they partially blocked the mammoth.

Album:

Museum of Failed Museums.

The Tinto Rocks' psychedelic phase keeps on giving.

• Bernard and Victoria Watcher like this

#28 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:33 AM

^Don't miss their laser light show double-bill with Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, coming soon to the Langford Planetarium.

• Bernard and Victoria Watcher like this

#29 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:48 AM

^Monorail!

Is there a chance the track could bend?

#30 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:13 AM

Is there a chance the track could bend?

Not a chance, my North Park friend!

Untitled.png

• Mike K., Nparker, Matt R. and 2 others like this

#31 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:20 AM

If anything Lisa help’s bike lanes are a far more fitting allegory for the monorail

#32 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:23 AM

If anything Lisa help’s bike lanes are a far more fitting allegory for the monorail

I’ve sold bike lanes to fort street, wharf street, and pandora, and by gum it put them on the map!
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#33 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:45 AM

^Don't miss their laser light show double-bill with Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, coming soon to the Langford Planetarium.

That was core to teenage years in the Lower Mainland.......

#34 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:49 AM

What I do not understand is why Langford is choosing this location for a new cultural thing in the municipality?  Why not near Goldstream ave or on Langford Parkway?   Either one of those locations would be closer to the centre of Western Communities population and has much better transit access and space for parking.

#35 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:49 AM

Langford........."Ready, Aim, Fire.....Plan." This thing is hideous and the Maritime Museum will not flourish there. Now, if it was a Monster Truck museum.....! Or a museum of trees so people can remember what they looked like.

Edited by Lorenzo, 25 February 2020 - 11:53 AM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#36 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:58 AM

Victoria....plan, ready, aim, complain, no plan, study, plan, complain, no plan, study, plan, complain, no plan, study, plan, complain, give up.
  • Mike K., DavidSchell and Victoria Watcher like this

#37 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 12:00 PM

Victoria....plan, ready, aim, complain, no plan, study, plan, complain, no plan, study, plan, complain, no plan, study, plan, complain, give up.

All the while spending millions of CoV taxpayer dollars with nothing to show for it.

#38 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 12:10 PM

The only thing Victoria ever does expediently is tear down statues of revered national heroes

#39 2F2R

2F2R
  • 673 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 04:50 PM

Typical collection of great comments ...

• Matt R., Brayvehart and Victoria Watcher like this

#40 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 05:22 PM

Typical collection of great comments ...

It was okay but not our best. Where were the clever puns? And I feel like the Simpsons angle could have been played out a bit more.

Seriously though, if Langford really wants a museum then some sort of arrangement like this might end up working. But obviously something closer to the harbour would seem to be a much more natural fit. It's a bit confusing to me that this arrangement could have half-a-chance of being viable out there while not being a slam dunk by comparison at Dockside Green or the roundhouse or Ogden Point or some other sites in town.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users