• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 57,768 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 07:40 PM

https://www.google.c...ington.amp.html

BLAINE, Wash. — In his decades of beekeeping, Ted McFall had never seen anything like it.

As he pulled his truck up to check on a group of hives near Custer, Wash., in November, he could spot from the window a mess of bee carcasses on the ground. As he looked closer, he saw a pile of dead members of the colony in front of a hive and more carnage inside — thousands and thousands of bees with their heads torn from their bodies and no sign of a culprit.

“I couldn’t wrap my head around what could have done that,” Mr. McFall said.

Only later did he come to suspect that the killer was what some researchers simply call the “murder hornet.”

With queens that can grow to two inches long, Asian giant hornets can use mandibles shaped like spiked shark fins to wipe out a honeybee hive in a matter of hours, decapitating the bees and flying away with the thoraxes to feed their young. For larger targets, the hornet’s potent venom and stinger — long enough to puncture a beekeeping suit — make for an excruciating combination that victims have likened to hot metal driving into their skin.

In Japan, the hornets kill up to 50 people a year. Now, for the first time, they have arrived in the United States.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 630 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 08:29 PM

One was caught in Vancouver this time last year.

https://globalnews.c...e-giant-hornet/

#3 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 182 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 10:04 PM

There was a large nest of them that was destroyed in Nanaimo last year as well.  

#4 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,259 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:32 AM

It's weird that the national media is only picking up on this now. This hit the local news back in the fall. IIRC, a couple were found in White Rock and Blaine back in November.

#5 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 15,278 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 05:28 AM

is it just me or do lots of insects seem particularly attracted to coins?  

maybe if we moved more to paper money and credit and debit cards we'd see less of these pests?  i rarely see them photographed alongside paper money.

https://www.timescol...-set-1.24181143

or maybe we should wash or sanitize our pocket change more often?

a2-08052020-hornet-col-jpg.jpg

in this case above, does the murder hornet mistakenly think it's attacking a moose?  attacks on the queen's image seem to be almost equal.  maybe these insect are anti-monarchy?

if that is the case - moderators let me know if we should move to discussion to the "ending the royal family" thread.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 August 2020 - 05:32 AM.

#6 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 15,278 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 06:04 AM

is it just me or do lots of insects seem particularly attracted to coins?  

maybe if we moved more to paper money and credit and debit cards we'd see less of these pests?  i rarely see them photographed alongside paper money.

https://www.timescol...-set-1.24181143

or maybe we should wash or sanitize our pocket change more often?

a2-08052020-hornet-col-jpg.jpg

in this case above, does the murder hornet mistakenly think it's attacking a moose?  attacks on the queen's image seem to be almost equal.  maybe these insect are anti-monarchy?

if that is the case - moderators let me know if we should move to discussion to the "ending the royal family" thread.

screenshot-www.timescolonist.com-2020.08.05-10_03_48.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 August 2020 - 06:05 AM.

#7 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 468 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 08:07 AM

In that Times Colonist story the woman living on Palmer Rd didn't take a picture.   I don't believe her story. That hornet is huge and she tried to step on it.  These are scary looking and she would be running away.

I will call the Times Colonist tomorrow and say I saw a Sasquatch in my backyard.  I'm sure it was a Sasquatch, it was furry and was stealing the nuts from my walnut tree.

• todd likes this

#8 todd

todd
  • 8,001 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 08:24 AM

I will call the Times Colonist tomorrow and say I saw a Sasquatch in my backyard.  I'm sure it was a Sasquatch, it was furry and was stealing the nuts from my walnut tree.

Sorry about that.

#9 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 15,278 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 05:19 AM

why don't we feed murder hornets ice cubes (that we would normally be feeding to our dogs)?

B.C. bugs are getting a bad rap thanks to the murder hornet.

https://www.timescol...rnet-1.24183397

#10 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,893 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 August 2020 - 10:37 AM

I got stung by a bald faced hornet as a kid.  As far as I'm concerned, all these things need to be exterminated once and for all :D  

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#11 theboss

theboss
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 11:49 PM

So, where are the massive amounts of dead people in the Pacific Northwest?

Or is this going to be memory holed as if no one made a fuss about it?

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users