Posted 16 May 2024 - 07:11 AM

Typical.  ;)

• dasmo likes this

#2022 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,923 posts

Posted 16 May 2024 - 07:22 AM

Right now there is no option municipally. Provincially you need more than 40% of the politician’s riding. All physical. So Eby is premier with just over 5,000 votes. To recall him you need at least 16,213 plus the extra votes to account for the ones they will reject. Two months and you can’t advertise or pay anyone to canvas.

#2023 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,889 posts

Posted 16 May 2024 - 07:25 AM

You don't have to convince me that our recall legislation is a complete joke.

#2024 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,923 posts

Posted 16 May 2024 - 08:00 AM

I’m not! Just posting for the record. For all the viewers at home.
  • Nparker likes this

#2025 LJ

LJ
  • 13,300 posts

Posted 16 May 2024 - 07:47 PM

Brad West has said he will not be the new leader of a merged party, surely we can find someone else suitable, please.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2026 lanforod

lanforod
  • 12,132 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 May 2024 - 09:46 PM

Rustad won't back down, and because of that I don't think Falcon will either. Best I think we can hope for is a limited non-compete in certain battleground ridings.

#2027 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 17 May 2024 - 07:38 AM

Rustad said he intends to run 93 candidates in 93 ridings.

The United created this situation. They’ll have to wear this in the election and yes, ridings will be split, giving the NDP the edge. That’s the risk the United took when they made it impossible for two MLAs to remain with their party.

If the United really are about the betterment of BC, then they should pull candidates where it is clear a Conservative has the edge. It’s the Cons leading in the polls, not the United, and the Cons have strong support in northern and eastern BC, and pockets of rural BC, and the Fraser Valley.

Where ridings will split is in the urban areas that are more of a toss up.

Now all that being said, many voters won’t be familiar with the United brand, but they’ll be familiar with the Conservative brand because of the federal party. I can see someone choosing the Cons, only because they can associate the candidate with a party they understand even on simple terms. United is a grey term.
  • Nparker and lanforod like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2028 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,889 posts

Posted 17 May 2024 - 07:54 AM

...United is a grey term.

A deliberately vague name for a political party that can't decide on which side of the fence it wants to land.

#2029 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,889 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 11:32 AM

Détente between the BC Conservatives and the United Party seems somewhat unlikely before the fall election. From a recent BCC newsletter:

"I’ve worked jobs including cutting down trees, fighting wildfires, and running a small technology business in the resource sector. I never expected to be a politician, and I certainly never expected to lead a party. But I was pissed off with the status quo, and I’ve never been the type of person to just give up and walk away. The truth is, I’m not who downtown Victoria and Vancouver consultants want to be Premier. I’m not a wealthy lawyer or a hotshot urban mayor. I’m a small business guy from the North — and I have the chainsaw scars to prove it.

When I joined the Conservative Party of BC, we were the last place party — now we’re first place in many polls and we’re competing for government.

I tried to come to the table months ago when BCU and the Conservatives were evenly matched in the polls, so we would have the best chance of defeating the NDP. The answer we got was: “#### Off.”

So we worked even harder to build our party up and defeat the NDP on our own..."

#2030 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 12:51 PM

Sigh. Egos that can’t work together will never be able to unseat the NDP. Time to put the measuring sticks aside and come together for perhaps the only chance in a generation to radically change BC’s politics.

#2031 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 57,753 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 12:51 PM

Yup.

#2032 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 06:26 AM

The merger talks show weakness, though. I don’t think the United has parsed that yet, that this isn’t a good look.

They threw out the MLAs, who now lead the Cons, over opinions United considered untenable.

You cannot have it both ways. Only after the election can there be a sincere conversation about a merger, I think.

The NDP to its credit has managed to hold together as a party with a huge spectrum of left-leaning views. When the
BC Liberals were confronted with a difference of opinion they panicked, straight into the hands of the NDP.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2033 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,889 posts

Posted 24 May 2024 - 08:54 AM

poll May 14 2024.jpg

#2034 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,897 posts

Posted 24 May 2024 - 11:19 AM

Why so sad, 37% guy?
  • Nparker likes this

#2035 splashflash

splashflash
  • 280 posts

Posted 24 May 2024 - 03:23 PM

https://www.msn.com/...nts/ar-BB1n0jrk

Falcon says there were talks between two representatives of each party this month, most recently on Wednesday, and BC United proposed the non-competition framework.
He says the proposal included that the parties would not run candidates against each other's members who were seeking re-election, and the BC Conservatives would run in 47 seats and BC United in 46.

"Despite the common ground achieved during these meetings, last night John Rustad decided to reject a reasonable offer aimed at preventing a vote split, risking another four years of (Premier David) Eby’s NDP government that will further jeopardize the well-being of this province," Falcon's statement on Friday said.

#2036 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 24 May 2024 - 03:24 PM

What exactly are the objectionable views that would prevent the parties combining?

#2037 lanforod

lanforod
  • 12,132 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 May 2024 - 04:02 PM

The view over who should lead and run in each riding is probably the main blocker right now.

#2038 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 27 May 2024 - 12:45 PM

Adam Pankratz: BC United killed its electoral chances by rejecting conservatism
The BC Conservatives are on a meteoric rise courtesy of the meaningless, valueless BCU

- https://nationalpost...ng-conservatism
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#2039 lanforod

lanforod
  • 12,132 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 May 2024 - 07:40 PM

Adam Pankratz: BC United killed its electoral chances by rejecting conservatism
The BC Conservatives are on a meteoric rise courtesy of the meaningless, valueless BCU

- https://nationalpost...ng-conservatism

100%. Any voter right of Eby who didn't know who to vote for, now has an option. Not always the most attractive one, but better than the BC United who are left of centre too.

• Nparker likes this

#2040 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 27 May 2024 - 08:28 PM

Yes, it’s a tragic slide for the BCU.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users