42nd British Columbia Provincial Election and term | October 2020 - 2024

• Please log in to reply
1986 replies to this topic

#1541 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 09:24 PM

It’s up to the people now. If you live in Fairfield and you think the neighborhood belongs to you and not the globalists then join the community organization and push back against this affront to your democratic right to have a say in what happens to your environment.
  • Nparker likes this

#1542 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 08:19 AM

With only staff oversight I’m not sure if there is a process for engagement any longer, beyond pleasantries.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1543 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 09:25 AM

Recall David Eby….

#1544 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 09:27 AM

If the community pooled its resources they could sue the corporation of Victoria.

#1545 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 09:30 AM

Or greed will win and people will just be happy their property is worth 500k more now.
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#1546 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 10:50 AM

With only staff oversight I’m not sure if there is a process for engagement any longer, beyond pleasantries.

Get a councilor onboard with your plan and then they can pressure CoV staff to adopt your proposal on favorable terms.

#1547 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 07:43 PM

Sounds like we’re heading for an election in a few months.

The NDP is working hard on generating email lists.
  • Barrrister likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1548 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 07:53 PM

^ This would be a good time to reset the clock before having to explain why British Columbia has been sold to the lowest bidder.

#1549 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 08:00 PM

Sounds like we’re heading for an election in a few months...

Another early election call. Remind me again why FIXED election dates were written into law?

...The use of fixed election dates is to ensure that the timing of elections cannot be manipulated for political or partisan reasons...

https://www.leg.bc.c...ates-in-BC.aspx

#1550 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 29 January 2023 - 11:09 AM

Lisa Helps appointed as Premier’s adviser on housing to support rollout of BC Builds
https://news.gov.bc....PREM0008-000094

Politics was never a meritocracy, of course.

• dasmo likes this

#1551 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 12:06 PM

^ This would be a good time to reset the clock before having to explain why British Columbia has been sold to the lowest bidder.

I think what they want to do is get out ahead of a recession and budget cuts. 

#1552 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 12:08 PM

Sounds like we’re heading for an election in a few months.

The NDP is working hard on generating email lists.

And MLAs are active on twitter updating all of the great things they did in the last 24 hours. 

Eby will need an excuse for an early election call, especially since he just said it wasn't in the cards. 

#1553 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 05:31 PM

They will call an election if the recall campaign looks like it’s gaining ground

#1554 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 09:53 AM

I was just musing, that an issue we have in our democracy is the power the elected party wields with respect to promoting itself ahead of an election, while the public (and opposition parties) are kept in the dark about a planned election.

What press releases is the NDP government issuing today, that are meant to serve as promotional items for the party and its platform, rather than government business? It is impossible to differentiate them, and they may be one or the other and the public is none the wiser.

ElectionsBC has done a poor job of overseeing recent elections. Victoria had candidates posting election signs before it was permitted to do so, various political groups appeared in the region operated by unknown entities with no oversight of their endorsements or third party activities, and there were no repercussions. Today we have what looks like the NDP positioning for an election, and ElectionsBC is not issuing a warning to the party to differentiate between government PR and party PR. I mean we all suspect there may be an election, which should trigger EBC to pose a question and require an answer in a very short period of time. Is there an un-planned election being considered within the next 12 months, yes/no. If an election is called, and the party answered 'no,' it gets heavily fined.

Is that not fair and reasonable?

Know it all.

#1555 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 10:03 AM

...What press releases is the NDP government issuing today, that are meant to serve as promotional items for the party and its platform, rather than government business?...

This is one reason fixed election dates were enacted, so that the current government wouldn't have a distinct advantage in the run-up to an election. Sadly, this legislation that is pretty much ignored for reasons of political expediency.

#1556 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 10:05 AM

There should be a system in place, then.

What’s happening right now needs to be properly viewed by the electorate as promotion, or government business.

Know it all.

#1557 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 10:09 AM

As dasmo would say, the plan is for the electorate to be disengaged, and for the most part, they are.

#1558 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 11:53 AM

I was just musing, that an issue we have in our democracy is the power the elected party wields with respect to promoting itself ahead of an election, while the public (and opposition parties) are kept in the dark about a planned election.

What press releases is the NDP government issuing today, that are meant to serve as promotional items for the party and its platform, rather than government business? It is impossible to differentiate them, and they may be one or the other and the public is none the wiser.

ElectionsBC has done a poor job of overseeing recent elections. Victoria had candidates posting election signs before it was permitted to do so, various political groups appeared in the region operated by unknown entities with no oversight of their endorsements or third party activities, and there were no repercussions. Today we have what looks like the NDP positioning for an election, and ElectionsBC is not issuing a warning to the party to differentiate between government PR and party PR. I mean we all suspect there may be an election, which should trigger EBC to pose a question and require an answer in a very short period of time. Is there an un-planned election being considered within the next 12 months, yes/no. If an election is called, and the party answered 'no,' it gets heavily fined.

Is that not fair and reasonable?

I agree, and this issue crosses all party lines, and all jurisdictions.

I (naively) wrote a paper in the 1970's about how the Trudeau gov was using the PMO (therefore our tax dollars) to perpetuate it's own existence. I say naively now because every party has done it and every party has since "expanded their powers." 

(Since when are "Government of Canada, Working for You" colours blue, as example, lol.)

• Mike K. likes this

#1559 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 11:54 AM

i heard a rumour just because I spent the morning in a newsroom, that Capital Daily has imploded/is emploding?

#1560 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 11:56 AM

i heard a rumour just because I spent the morning in a newsroom, that Capital Daily has imploded/is emploding?

They let go their editor and 3 staff today. Covered in the CD forum.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users