• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#81 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 04:27 PM

Yes, pretty much.

And we wonder why housing prices are through the roof, as is demand. There’s literally nowhere else to plunk your money than into real-estate and the markets. Messing with the interest rates at this juncture will just threaten new housing stock as already built inventory will plateau at worst, knowing that to build something new would cost purchasers more.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#82 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 07:36 PM

Here is an article from the WSJ discussing inflation...

https://www.mornings...reams-inflation

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#83 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,877 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 07:38 AM

EVERY BRIT 'NEEDS TO DRINK 124 PINTS' TO SAVE THE NATION'S PUBS AFTER LOCKDOWN

https://www.joe.co.u...lockdown-272874

According to financial experts, Company Debt, it is estimated that every adult in the UK needs to drink 124 pints this summer to give the pub sector the cash injection it needs to reach pre-pandemic levels and get back on its feet.

The number in question is £25.66 billion, at least: this is how much was lost in pumps not pulled and pints poured away throughout the pandemic. This equates to 6,512,690,355 pints that never made their way into our bellies nor publican pockets.

your-local-pub-needs-you-e1620989884145.

Last month, we reported that 87 million glasses of the gods' sweet nectar had been wasted during lockdown and, from that day forth, we swore never not a single drop more would go undrank on our watch. Thankfully, now, we have a genuine economic reason—nay, a social responsibility to have as many crisp, cold pints as we like. It's for the good of the nation.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 May 2021 - 07:39 AM.

#84 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 08:02 AM

If staff had no work to do then I would expect that they would be put on Government support programs exactly like what happened in the private sector. If City Hall is closed, then there is no point paying a receptionist to sit at the front desk as an example. Many munis did that. Tough decision but it needed to be made. Saanich and Victoria didn't (although Victoria pretended that not hiring seasonal staff was the same as a cut) because it isn't their money and who cares. 

Saving money could have been used to offset the reduction in revenues that are now driving the budget increases.

Wouldn't affect budgets for the following year.  Budgets are set and approved each year, if you save one year you don't get it back the next.  Council's determine where surplus is used annually.  You are making many assumptions, but staff are typically working.  City Hall was not closed for long.  The savings you are seeking would be minimal and again would not affect the following year.

• Brayvehart likes this

#85 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 15 May 2021 - 07:07 AM

U.S. clears way for Alaska-bound cruise ships to bypass Canada  

Darron Kloster Times Colonist

MAY 15, 2021 04:46 AM

“I’m not losing a tremendous amount of sleep over it,” said Robertson.

https://www.timescol...nada-1.24319489

Edited by VIResident, 15 May 2021 - 07:08 AM.

#86 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 07:20 AM

Robertson should be losing sleep or maybe he should just resign. I guess his paycheck is the same regardless so why should he care.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#87 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 02:13 PM

The gouging continues.

I just received an email from my insurance broker reminding me one of our commercial policies is coming up for renewal along with a big pdf sob story about how insurance companies are losing money so have to raise rates.  Do they really lose money? Ever?  When claims are low, do they lower premiums?

"With investment income down and their underwriting results only marginally improving over the past year, this rate and deductible pressure will end up being passed down to the consumer."

Investment income down?  Aren't interest rates up? Or do these companies gamble in the stock market too.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#88 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 08:58 PM

Drop them and find another company.

I saved 50% by switching brokers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#89 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 09:01 PM

I shop around every year, they have yet to be beaten. We bring a fairly good amount of insurance business.

Who’s your broker?

Eta: they’ve sent this sort of newsletter out before and still come in as a good to great option.

Edited by Matt R., 02 June 2023 - 09:02 PM.

#90 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 21 November 2023 - 02:11 AM

Haven’t been using FB much while on holiday but we’re visiting a friend from Canada at the moment and he asked me about the Facebook news thing. Totally slipped my mind but I haven’t seen any news on my feed since arriving. Sure enough, it’s there but all the pages I “liked” aren’t showing up unless I look for them.

I guess the algo has just dropped them from my feed now. For some reason, Chek is still posting to FB multiple times per day. CBC appears not to be.

I did, however, find this little bon mot. Yikes.

“The Canada Revenue Agency has denied or adjusted $458 million in funds disbursed to employers through a pandemic-era wage subsidy program as a result of a partially completed auditing process.”

https://www.cheknews...-audit-1178168/

Edited by Matt R., 21 November 2023 - 02:12 AM.

#91 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 November 2023 - 08:09 AM

Yeah, better then the feed off again.

Know it all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users