2021 Canadian General Election and term discussion

• Please log in to reply
3050 replies to this topic

#2821 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 22 April 2024 - 07:05 AM

The PPC caused several ridings to flip Red in the last election, no? Blues had more ridings in the bag. Overall the ridings garnered more Blue and Purple but the Reds won over the split.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2822 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,718 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 April 2024 - 07:22 AM

Yeah some for sure. There were 20 ridings that was possibly true. I think the PPC will mostly fall flat this time though and probably get less than 2% popular vote without affecting any seats.
  • Mike K. likes this

#2823 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 55,560 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 10:29 PM

https://globalnews.c...ervative-polls/

screenshot-globalnews.ca-2024.04.24-02_28_26.png

#2824 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 05:53 AM

The Trudeau government spent the last while convincing doctors to incorporate their practices. Now those doctors are going to have to pay significant capital gains taxes when they sell their practice.

Won’t this further lesson the likelihood of doctors choosing to practice in Canada?
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2825 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,560 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 06:01 AM

The Trudeau government spent the last while convincing doctors to incorporate their practices. Now those doctors are going to have to pay significant capital gains taxes when they sell their practice.

Won’t this further lesson the likelihood of doctors choosing to practice in Canada?

Yes.

#2826 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,646 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 06:44 PM

Do these businesses actually have any value? When my GP retired, his practice was for sale for years until he just couldn’t do it anymore. Never sold, just closed.

#2827 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,024 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 07:13 PM

...When my GP retired, his practice was for sale for years until he just couldn’t do it anymore. Never sold, just closed.

Same with my GP and that was back in 2015.

#2828 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,646 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 07:25 PM

I don’t think dental practices are even worth all that much unless they are in the sweet spot with enough chairs and new equipment.

#2829 LJ

LJ
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 07:28 PM

And all the existing GP's have more than enough patients, they don't need yours.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2830 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 10:16 AM

Yeah, when the boomer generation GPs started out it was with the promise they’d be able to sell their clinics to fund retirement. But given the incredible supply of new patients (that’s the value), their practices are worth nothing. Pretty sad kick in the face for the docs who chose family practice over any other speciality. They really get the shortest end of the stick, in so many ways.

Have some dentists in my family. Those practices are worth a lot- I believe it’s the patients more than the space & equipment.

Edited by max.bravo, 25 April 2024 - 10:17 AM.

#2831 m3m

m3m
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 11:21 AM

Dental offices scale really well compared to GPs. They make money off services provided by the hygienists, etc.
  • Matt R. likes this

#2832 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,646 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 07:32 PM

Yeah, when the boomer generation GPs started out it was with the promise they’d be able to sell their clinics to fund retirement. But given the incredible supply of new patients (that’s the value), their practices are worth nothing. Pretty sad kick in the face for the docs who chose family practice over any other speciality. They really get the shortest end of the stick, in so many ways.

Have some dentists in my family. Those practices are worth a lot- I believe it’s the patients more than the space & equipment.

I had an uncle as a dentist, tried selling his practice on west 4th for years so he could retire. No takers. Not enough chairs for the turn and burn environment we are in now I guess.

#2833 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,560 posts

Posted 27 April 2024 - 11:18 AM

NP View: Loblaw is a true Canadian success story — no wonder Trudeau wants to destroy it

The scapegoating of Galen Weston

https://nationalpost...s-to-destroy-it

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 April 2024 - 11:19 AM.

#2834 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 27 April 2024 - 03:55 PM

I had an uncle as a dentist, tried selling his practice on west 4th for years so he could retire. No takers. Not enough chairs for the turn and burn environment we are in now I guess.

Not saying your uncle is like this; but a lot of dentists have unrealistic expectations about the value of their practice. Especially if they’ve invest a million bucks in cosmetic upgrades, and they won’t negotiate on price; even if the market is clearly telling them they’re overpriced.

Dentists aren’t known for the business smarts. In a way it’s sad- they graduate from dental school and banks line up to lend them $ to buy a practice. All of a sudden they’ve got 10 employees, debt managemen, fairly complex tax and accounting issues, etc.

#2835 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,368 posts

Posted 27 April 2024 - 04:06 PM

The problem is more that they hold investments within the corp and build a nest egg within it that they can draw from as dividends and the growth within is at a lower rate I believe. Not so much the selling of the biz. Service based businesses are a hard sell.

#2836 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,646 posts

Posted 27 April 2024 - 06:51 PM

Not saying your uncle is like this; but a lot of dentists have unrealistic expectations about the value of their practice. Especially if they’ve invest a million bucks in cosmetic upgrades, and they won’t negotiate on price; even if the market is clearly telling them they’re overpriced.

Dentists aren’t known for the business smarts. In a way it’s sad- they graduate from dental school and banks line up to lend them $ to buy a practice. All of a sudden they’ve got 10 employees, debt managemen, fairly complex tax and accounting issues, etc.

Oh he was old school.  Faculty at UBC, taught in Russia every once in a while.  Loved his two chairs, loved his patients, opened on weekends if needed, could (and sometimes did) do it all himself. These days everyone wants or needs five chairs, four hygienists, couple assistants, two front office workers... he just didn't want to scale up and lose that personal touch. Lovely little office on West Fourth and Burrard.  His wife was a CA for Jimmy Pattison, business sense wasn't the issue.  Office was just too small for today's needs.

I think you are bang on. 

Edited by Matt R., 27 April 2024 - 08:07 PM.

#2837 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 946 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 09:29 AM

Saanich councillor and CRD chair Colin Plant will be the NDP's candidate for Saanich-Gulf Islands in the next federal election. Riding association held its nomination meeting yesterday: https://islandsocial...heir-candidate/

#2838 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,560 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 09:55 AM

Saanich councillor and CRD chair Colin Plant will be the NDP's candidate for Saanich-Gulf Islands in the next federal election. Riding association held its nomination meeting yesterday: https://islandsocial...heir-candidate/

Does that mean he's gay?

Oh, hold on, maybe thst's only a provincial NDP candidate requirement.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 April 2024 - 09:56 AM.

#2839 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 946 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 10:01 AM

^ Does that matter to you? In any case, no, he's the father of four boys: https://www.saanich....olin-plant.html

#2840 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,560 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 10:11 AM

^ Does that matter to you? In any case, no, he's the father of four boys: https://www.saanich....olin-plant.html

NDP candidate reveals bisexuality after questions over party's equity rule

Rule requires women or minorities to replace any departing NDP MLA

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-rule-1.3811299

Gerry Taft, the mayor of Invermere, won the NDP's nomination for Columbia River-Revelstoke last Saturday by defeating Spring Hawes, who sits on Invermere council. 

The current MLA is the NDP's Norm MacDonald, who is retiring after three terms in office. The party has a policy requiring any departing MLA to be replaced by a woman or "equity-seeking candidate," including racial minorities, Indigenous people, and members of the LGBTQ community. 

Hawes is a woman with a disability, and after losing the race, she questioned how Taft could be the candidate.

Now let’s stop and think about how absurd this all is?

The NDP’s equity-mandate rule is supposed to foster a culture of fairness, equality, understanding and acceptance for all people. Noble and worthy goals.

But, in this case, it forced a bisexual man out of the closet against his wishes and marginalized a disabled woman who was refused a basic explanation of the facts by her own party. What is so equitable about that?

And think about this: how can this affirmative-action program promote public understanding and acceptance of under-represented groups who have suffered discrimination if the party keeps their status a secret from the public? That defeats the whole purpose of the program.

It’s time for the NDP to scrap this equity-mandate rule. It’s not fair to worthy candidates who don’t meet the equity criteria, and it’s not necessary in a province where women, aboriginals, disabled folks and gay people have become cabinet ministers without a quota.

https://theprovince....e-is-backfiring

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 April 2024 - 10:15 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users