2021 Canadian General Election and term discussion

• Please log in to reply
2861 replies to this topic

#1181 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,631 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 11:07 AM

Well spotted. Food cost is top of mind for you huh? 

#1182 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,132 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 11:11 AM

I buy food and drink for a living, essentially. Few days a week I apply fire to the food and put it on plates or in a box.
  • Nparker likes this

#1183 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,156 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 11:11 AM

They sell wine in cans?
  • Matt R. likes this

#1184 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,912 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 11:14 AM

They sell wine in cans?

Vitis-SN-Castoro-NU.jpg

• Matt R. likes this

#1185 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,132 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 11:14 AM

Off topic but since Covid the market for canned wine and cocktails has exploded. So much so that wines I’ve been buying for years aren’t available right now in bottles, only cans, because the winery is following the money and canning more and more, rather than bottling. Easier shipping, beach and campsite friendly, easy to chill, easy to toss into a to go bag or backpack or pannier… glass is so 2018.
  • Nparker likes this

#1186 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,684 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 11:18 AM

There's also a glass shortage impacting brewers and wineries.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1187 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,912 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 11:21 AM

Perhaps if I was allowed to recycle my glass containers* (alcohol bottles excepted) instead of throwing them in the garbage, there would be less of a shortage.

*not available in my strata

• dasmo and FogPub like this

#1188 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,912 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 11:29 AM

I apologize for continuing to derail this thread.

• dasmo likes this

#1189 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,631 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 11:29 AM

Perhaps if I was allowed to recycle my glass containers* (alcohol bottles excepted) instead of throwing them in the garbage, there would be less of a shortage.

*not available in my strata

Since we are off topic this is one of my bones! Wine bottle costs $3.50. Recycle return $0.10

In Ottawa I was working on Canada day celebration elements and the logistics director took me to the warehouse to see what we had from last year. He said let me show you something. He took me to where they stored the glass "recycling". Mountains and mountains of glass bottles. 

Considering we are suffering a sand shortage perhaps we should up the deposit and go back to collection - wash - and re-use. 

#1190 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,132 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 11:49 AM

Lots going on these days and that is definitely part of it. Breweries are switching over to tall cans more and more, away from bombers. New vintages are being bottled over the next weeks so product will be back, and hopefully our long suffering federal workers and their guests can get back to drinking from proper magnums on their private intercontinental flights to climate change meetings.
  • Mike K. and Teardrop like this

#1191 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,631 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 12:45 PM

More mini bottles for the elites! 

"printing half a trillion dollars is causing hyper inflation? Let's print a few billion more to address it! 

https://www.msn.com/...romMaestro=true

#1192 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,631 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 12:53 PM

I am sure Klaus will be proud of his protégé

We shouldn't have our Deputy Prime Minister on the Board of Trustees of the WEF IMO...

We need less globalization and more hyper-localization. How can we be confident she has our best interests at heart? 

https://www.weforum....rystia-freeland

https://www.weforum....tees-3b4f679708

#1193 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 21 June 2022 - 12:45 PM

How can we be confident she has our best interests at heart? 

Key Question, above.

If we can verify she doesn't subscribe to any of the cray-cray, Qanon, WEF, pizza-BS, this-conspiracy-sells-the-most-attention-on-social-media, election-lie, we're probably ok. 

Then we just have to decide if we agree with her policy ideas.

#1194 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,631 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 12:58 PM

How can we be confident she has our best interests at heart? 

Key Question, above.

If we can verify she doesn't subscribe to any of the cray-cray WEF BS we're probably ok. 

Fixed it for you. Answer to the above is... She does.

#1195 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,684 posts

Posted 01 July 2022 - 06:40 AM

Canadian premier Justin Trudeau joked that Western leaders could try to match Putin’s naked torso pictures with a ‘bare-chested horseback riding display,’ one of his widely publicized athletic adventures.

- https://apnews.com/a...74b7d04f2e76c83

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1196 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,345 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 01:57 PM

Apparently all the provincial premiers are in Victoria today and tomorrow for their annual pow-wow.

#1197 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,912 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 01:59 PM

They couldn't meet via Skype?

#1198 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,631 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 02:03 PM

They couldn't meet via Skype?

They can't practice their elbow bumps that way.... 

• Nparker likes this

#1199 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,684 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 02:19 PM

Yes, and our premier has decided to blame Ottawa for the mishandling of healthcare.

How much longer are we going to drag this out before we finally legalize private care? You would have thought weed was a lesser priority than healthcare, but it’s now legal while 20% of the population has no doctor and it’s illegal to pay for one.
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#1200 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 11 July 2022 - 03:00 PM

Yes, and our premier has decided to blame Ottawa for the mishandling of healthcare.

How much longer are we going to drag this out before we finally legalize private care? You would have thought weed was a lesser priority than healthcare, but it’s now legal while 20% of the population has no doctor and it’s illegal to pay for one.

I've paid enough taxes that the private care discussion is irrelevant to me. Have it or not, I don't care. I want better choices by the Prov Government about the use of the money they already have and I believe a family doctor is the expectation of every Canadian, for that tax money.

Debating solutions seems wrong because it's a complex problem, decades in the making, and unless you're Horgan or Dix you don't have enough information. The political spin on the information given to us renders much of that information suspect. Example: the provinces will suggest that the feds are shortchanging them for health care money. Maybe. Its also true that the feds removed some of the accountability for the transfer money over 10 years ago and now we doubt it was all spent on health care. So they want more money.

The bottom line is this, for me: more money means elected politicians don't have to make hard choices with the resources they already have, and don't have to say no, two things they will avoid because both risk getting reelected.

No more money. Private is not a substitute. We need doctors now and we should work to elect a government that does this, and unelect governments that do not.

No more announcements - time for results.

Edited by Taco, 11 July 2022 - 03:01 PM.

• Nparker and FogPub like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users