2021 Canadian General Election and term discussion

• Please log in to reply
2697 replies to this topic

#21 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 25 January 2021 - 12:37 PM

Despite the indicators that a snap election is possible this year, the thread would be more accurately titled "Prior to October 2023" until an actual early election is called ;).

Locally, Nikki MacDonald was nominated as the federal candidate for Victoria last month. 

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 01:30 PM

MacDonald: “A big thank you to all @LPCVictoria volunteers making calls this weekend. So great to talk with #YYJ community.”

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 johnk2

johnk2
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:31 PM

Why take the time to write something like that? What are you hoping to add to this conversation, or achieve, exactly?

It's a considered opinion, Mike. Based on observation of their performance.

#24 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 05:00 PM

I seem to be able to verbalize my dislike of the Conservative leader and the rest of the party without descending to joke names... I see enough of that from my family in Alberta directed towards the PM and it makes me feel like my IQ is dropping every time I hear it.

Anyways...

I agree that this may not be the ideal time for the Liberals to call a snap election, what with all this GG business, but on the other hand, neither the NDP nor the Conservatives seem able to sort out a coherent message that suggests either party is capable of taking over the business. COVID has really put the Liberals in the driver's seat this last year and like it or not, the Liberal party has been controlling the message extremely efficiently this last 10 months.

I just don't see an election resulting in significant changes to the current status quo.. except you might be a few more people dump NDP for the Greens or Liberals.

• Brayvehart likes this

#25 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 05:46 PM

Anyway, this is a slim reed on which to base a prediction. Trudeau would be nuts to call an election now, as the variant numbers will peak right around the time of a spring vote. The NDP is getting ready, nothing more. Unless you've got inside info that Jagmeet plans to bring down the government, which would be political suicide, IMHO.

The LIberals have started running election ads, saw the first O'Toole attack ad last night.

Like Horgan, JT could care less about your health and safety. This is all about timing. JT wants the election over before he has to start withdrawing free Government money in June and people find out he was lying about vaccinations.

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 07:08 PM

There's no better time to strike than when COVID rates start declining as warmer weather arrives.

If the election isn't called for June at the latest, I'll be surprised.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 09:15 AM

Right you are: mixed him up with Murray Rankin, duh. All NDPer's look and side alike to me I guess. Two errors actually as there she is waaaaaay down at the bottom of the page. That all said since she just announced her pregnancy I wonder how or if that will impact her "critic" activities and responsibilities....

They're organized alphabetically by riding, so Victoria is quite low. 

#28 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 09:16 AM

Despite the indicators that a snap election is possible this year, the thread would be more accurately titled "Prior to October 2023" until an actual early election is called ;).

Locally, Nikki MacDonald was nominated as the federal candidate for Victoria last month. 

Any opinions on Niki MacDonald? I'm  loathe to vote Tory when I know they have no chance her, but I have no idea who else I would cast a ballot for. 

#29 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 11:28 AM

Any opinions on Niki MacDonald? I'm  loathe to vote Tory when I know they have no chance her, but I have no idea who else I would cast a ballot for. 

don't be so hasty...maybe sharmarke is planning a run federally ;-)

• North Shore likes this

#30 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 11:09 AM

Any news regarding the Green or Tory candidates? Niki Macdonald and Laurel Collins have been nominated for their respective parties. 

#31 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:36 PM

Liberal MP caught stark naked during House of Commons video conference

A Liberal MP was caught wearing his birthday suit in the virtual House of Commons.

William Amos, who has represented the Quebec riding of Pontiac since 2015, appeared on the screens of his fellow members of Parliament completely naked Wednesday.

A screenshot obtained by The Canadian Press shows him standing behind a desk between the Quebec and Canadian flags, his private parts hidden by what appears to be a mobile phone in one hand.

https://www.ctvnews....rence-1.5387804

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 April 2021 - 06:36 PM.

#32 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:48 PM

as of now...he is my favourite "member" of parliament

• Matt R. likes this

#33 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:50 PM

perhaps the citizens of Pontiac had been complaining that during the pandemic they were not seeing enough of their "member"

• Matt R. likes this

#34 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 08:01 AM

i guess we should be happy that Comrade Ben's phone doesn't work on occassion!

#35 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 08:13 AM

some media are (is?) catching heat for publishing/printing the photos.

and indeed although the naughty bits are covered i think most media would never post a female similar photo.

https://twitter.com/gmbutts

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 April 2021 - 08:16 AM.

#36 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 01:10 PM

some media are (is?) catching heat for publishing/printing the photos.

and indeed although the naughty bits are covered i think most media would never post a female similar photo.

is this really a politico named "Butts" commenting about pictures of Amos's "member" ... could there be more irony?!

Attached Images

• butts.JPG

• A Girl is No one likes this

#37 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 09:47 PM

tomorrow's budget has inspired a lot of "Spring Election" fever talk - although in the middle of a thrd wave i doubt anyone wants to be blamed for causing another pandemic election

anyway, my pet theory is MP's would be foolsh to call an election anytime prior to Oct 19, 2021 - why?   the 42nd Canadian general election was held on October 19, 2015

Retirement age:
For pensionable service accrued prior to January 1, 2016, a plan member with 6 years of service may receive their pension as early as age 55.
For pensionable service accrued on or after January 1, 2016, a plan member with 6 years of service may receive an unreduced pension at age 65.

no six years, no pension - it's that simple

nobody looks after their own interest better than a politician

Edited by tommy, 18 April 2021 - 09:50 PM.

• lanforod likes this

#38 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 07:29 PM

Just heard my first Liberal campaign ad on CFAX this evening.

Sounds like we are going to the polls shortly.

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 08:49 PM

I think those have been running for a while, for Nikki?

The Facebook page being promoted is so hard to remember. Something like “visit Nikki For Victoria, that’s Nikki N I K K I, the number four, and Vic, or something like that.”

Know it all.

#40 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:56 AM

I think those have been running for a while, for Nikki?

The Facebook page being promoted is so hard to remember. Something like “visit Nikki For Victoria, that’s Nikki N I K K I, the number four, and Vic, or something like that.”

It was Nikki. I didn't realize she has been running them for a while.

Strange that she would be doing it if an election was not imminent. Perhaps she feels another higher profile candidate my throw her name into the ring and try to replace her.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users