2021 Canadian General Election and term discussion

• Please log in to reply
2830 replies to this topic

#381 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 13 September 2021 - 08:00 AM

To be fair, whatever promises were made in the 2019 election went out the window due to COVID.

I think the Liberals just want to free themselves of the untenable situation of having to rely on the NDP.

Which is unlikely to happen as it seems they'll again be in minority territory if they get elected.

#382 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 08:00 AM

Got the feeling that Rosie Barton does not like Erin Otoole.

She was brutal with him on CBCs Face to Face.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#383 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 13 September 2021 - 08:10 AM

From a policy perspective I've been encouraged by what I've seen come out of the Conservative party and think that O'Toole is likely to be far less divisive than Trudeau has been.  He might be able to walk back some of the more toxic trends (ACAB as an example), while making meaningful and pragmatic gains for Canadians who need it most.  I like the conservative housing policy, I like their Mat Leave policy of enabling women to earn $1,000 per month while on leave. I like the approach to daycare (NOTE: there are some real wrinkles to iron out there - but something less one size fits all and more attune to the variation in need is needed). 

Locally, I think Hannah Hodson would make a fine MP - although I do have to agree that Victoria electing a conservative is extremely unlikely unless that person was a well-liked household name. I don't particularly like Laurel Collins for her ties to Together Victoria, and while I'm sure Nikki MacDonald would be fine - I cannot stomach contributing to Trudeau's Liberals at this time for a very, very long list of reasons. Greens - their party seems a mess at this time. 

PPC? Nope. An anti-vaxx party should be roundly criticized. The closest any party should get is - we respect those who are exercising their religion or who have medical reasons not to be vaccinated, however, everyone who can be vaccinated should do so.

• Mike K., Nparker and Vicrazy like this

#384 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 09:08 AM

Got the feeling that Rosie Barton does not like Erin Otoole.

She was brutal with him on CBCs Face to Face.

I’m sure most people who watch CBC feel the same way.  Playing to the crowd.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#385 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 09:25 AM

PPC? Nope. An anti-vaxx party should be roundly criticized. The closest any party should get is - we respect those who are exercising their religion or who have medical reasons not to be vaccinated, however, everyone who can be vaccinated should do so.

There’s nothing in their platform against vaccines, although they oppose mandates and passports.

#386 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 13 September 2021 - 10:34 AM

There’s nothing in their platform against vaccines, although they oppose mandates and passports.

Lol. An anti-vaxxer is defined as someone with opposes vaccines and laws that mandate vaccination. Sure Maxime can say he is pro-freedom or however they want to spin it but the rhetoric they are spewing is the same as what the anti-vax protestors at the hospitals last week had on their signs. 

• Brayvehart and m3m like this

#387 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 10:50 AM

Lol. An anti-vaxxer is defined as someone with opposes vaccines and laws that mandate vaccination. Sure Maxime can say he is pro-freedom or however they want to spin it but the rhetoric they are spewing is the same as what the anti-vax protestors at the hospitals last week had on their signs. 

Thank you for providing that definition.  Unfortunately it’s a rather poor one since opposing vaccines and opposing mandates are two different things.  

Regarding rhetoric, if the PPC is the same as the anti-vax protesters then I suppose the Green Party is the same as the violent protesters at Fairy Creek, n’est pas?

• A Girl is No one likes this

#388 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 11:38 AM

I’m not sure how you equate those two.
For instance, I may be in favour of abortion being available for those who need/want it (my body my choice!) but would vehemently oppose the government dictating that people must get them.
It’s not even a fine line between the two!

Vaccines are great, and protect those who need/want it. But I totally oppose bureaucrats (who work for politicians, let’s not forget) dictating what must go in my body - even if I choose to get vaccinated. Everyone has to be able to make that decision for themselves. IMO
  • Nparker likes this

#389 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 September 2021 - 02:15 PM

Actualy, the difference is that if everyone had to get the vaccine, it would/could wipe out the disease. Now, I'm not saying that is the case with this particular disease and vaccines, but that is a huge part of the logic behind a mandatory vaccine, no? 

Look, if there were a 100% fatal disease out there, that 10% of the world is going to get (and that is obvious), plus there is a vaccine for this disease that is 50% effective at saving lives and 50% effective at reducing transmission, would you argue that it should be mandatory?

What if those numbers were 100% for all? 100% fatal (unless you're vaccinated), and everyone will get it? Then would you say it should be mandatory? The alternative is that people are choosing suicide.

• Brayvehart likes this

#390 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 02:55 PM

Dr BH threatening to place any healthcare worker (who works directly or indirectly for the Province) who does not get vaccinated by Oct 12th on unpaid leave until they do.  Says about 12% are currently not vaccinated which is about 14,000 workers.

Edited by spanky123, 13 September 2021 - 02:59 PM.

#391 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 03:08 PM

unpaid leave will not convince as many as dismissal would. but I guess it’s more compassionate.

#392 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 03:11 PM

unpaid leave will not convince as many as dismissal would. but I guess it’s more compassionate.

They are afraid that if they terminate them they will never get them back. 14,000 people on leave would cripple the healthcare system. Will see who blinks first. Dr BH said there would be an exemption on religious grounds so maybe that is the out for them.

#393 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 03:12 PM

Actualy, the difference is that if everyone had to get the vaccine, it would/could wipe out the disease. Now, I'm not saying that is the case with this particular disease and vaccines, but that is a huge part of the logic behind a mandatory vaccine, no?

Look, if there were a 100% fatal disease out there, that 10% of the world is going to get (and that is obvious), plus there is a vaccine for this disease that is 50% effective at saving lives and 50% effective at reducing transmission, would you argue that it should be mandatory?
What if those numbers were 100% for all? 100% fatal (unless you're vaccinated), and everyone will get it? Then would you say it should be mandatory? The alternative is that people are choosing suicide.

Agreed, But it’s not the case here.
COVID is endemic. Has been for over a year. Vaccines will not eradicate it. And COVID is FAR from being fatal. The fatality risk is so low that a personal risk/benefit analysis are warranted. IMO. 😁

#394 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 03:17 PM

They are afraid that if they terminate them they will never get them back. 14,000 people on leave would cripple the healthcare system. Will see who blinks first. Dr BH said there would be an exemption on religious grounds so maybe that is the out for them.

What does the union(s) say?

Some staff will welcome an unpaid break. Will they be eligible for unemployment insurance?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 September 2021 - 03:18 PM.

#395 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 04:11 PM

What does the union(s) say?

Some staff will welcome an unpaid break. Will they be eligible for unemployment insurance?

I see the nurses’s union has come out against mandatory vaccinations.  They must be hard right PPC supporters.  Who knew.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#396 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 04:29 PM

Wasn’t it just a few weeks ago that we were told unions are on board with forced vaccination of their members? What changed?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#397 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 04:32 PM

I just checked the busy-o-meter on Google for a restaurant I frequent. It’s at 25% of it’s typical capacity for 5-6PM.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#398 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 04:34 PM

Moxie’s downtown is at about 10% of its usual volume.

Know it all.

#399 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 04:41 PM

Compared to other Mondays specifically?

#400 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 04:44 PM

where is ISMO, that football game must have started.
  • Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)