2021 Canadian General Election and term discussion

• Please log in to reply
2697 replies to this topic

#41 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 01:53 PM

It was Nikki. I didn't realize she has been running them for a while.

Strange that she would be doing it if an election was not imminent. Perhaps she feels another higher profile candidate my throw her name into the ring and try to replace her

Replace her for what? She's already nominated as the Liberal candidate. 

#42 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 03:56 PM

Replace her for what? She's already nominated as the Liberal candidate. 

Can they nominate someone else? When Nikki was acclaimed last year I am sure the Liberals thought that Victoria would not be competitive. Now that JT has agreed to extend the gravy train and voters are liking the idea of lots of spending with no new taxes perhaps they are thinking they might have a chance against a weak NDP candidate.

#43 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 09:17 AM

Can they nominate someone else? When Nikki was acclaimed last year I am sure the Liberals thought that Victoria would not be competitive. Now that JT has agreed to extend the gravy train and voters are liking the idea of lots of spending with no new taxes perhaps they are thinking they might have a chance against a weak NDP candidate.

Not unless she resigns/JT replaces her. I also think she's about as good of a candidate as they can get, I'm struggling to think of a better candidate. Chris Coleman? Alan Lowe?

#44 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 10:32 AM

Nothing against her it is just that often people who 'run' in non-competitive ridings are only there to support the party and pick up their consulting gig as payment after the fact. They have no intention of actually trying to get elected or win.

#45 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,329 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 09:37 AM

May 18, 2021

ESQUIMALT, BC - Community leader, business owner, and psychologist Dr. Lisa Gunderson is seeking the Green Party of Canada nomination for Esquimalt-Saanich-Sooke in the next federal election. 

“As the Member of Parliament for Esquimalt-Saanich-Sooke, I will advocate providing more access and opportunities in our economy, support affordable housing, fight for racial equity, and commit to quality healthcare and the environment,” says Dr. Gunderson.

More: https://www.lisagund...t-saanich-sooke

gunderson.png

#46 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 07:32 AM

May 18, 2021

ESQUIMALT, BC - Community leader, business owner, and psychologist Dr. Lisa Gunderson is seeking the Green Party of Canada nomination for Esquimalt-Saanich-Sooke in the next federal election. 

“As the Member of Parliament for Esquimalt-Saanich-Sooke, I will advocate providing more access and opportunities in our economy, support affordable housing, fight for racial equity, and commit to quality healthcare and the environment,” says Dr. Gunderson.

More: https://www.lisagund...t-saanich-sooke

attachicon.gif gunderson.png

I just don't think there are the votes in Esquimalt-Saanich-Sooke to elect the Greens. Maybe in a decade or two hence if the NDP collapses and the Greens become the main left-wing party, but not now. When Garrison retires, I think its much more likely that a Conservative or Liberal is elected. 

#47 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 10:56 AM

Sort of like WWE in my opinion. You can't have a match unless you have 2 (or more) wrestlers. Everyone knows which wrestlers are going to win each match but there still needs to be the "beat up artist" to make a show of it. The BUA's get a contract and perks but nobody really cares about them.

Same thing in politics. The BUA's are candidates running in non-competitive ridings. They don't expect or want to win, it is the consulting gig after the fact and perks that motivate them.

#48 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 May 2021 - 11:20 AM

I just don't think there are the votes in Esquimalt-Saanich-Sooke to elect the Greens. Maybe in a decade or two hence if the NDP collapses and the Greens become the main left-wing party, but not now. When Garrison retires, I think its much more likely that a Conservative or Liberal is elected.

Greens came second in the 2019 election. Conservative were neck and neck with the NDP back in 2011 but fell to 4th in 2015 and 3rd in 2019.

#49 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 08:38 AM

Greens came second in the 2019 election. Conservative were neck and neck with the NDP back in 2011 but fell to 4th in 2015 and 3rd in 2019.

Yeah, I've read the wikipedia article too. What I'm saying is that Garrison has the support of a lot of conservatives. Don't forget that in 2011 the Tories nearly won the seat (or at least the seat that was the rough equivalent). There's a limit, for now, to how many former Liberal and Tory voters will cross to the Greens. However, if Garrison doesn't run again and enough NDP voters go to the Greens, I could see them winning it. But for now, I think the most likely result is that in 2025 Garrison retires, the Tories are on the up again, and we see a close race between them and the Greens or Liberals. 

#50 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 08:48 AM

I would have to agree. The NDP locally is not necessarily or always the “lefty” vote. Politicians like Horgan and Garrison are industry-minded, and their political shade of orange is more aligned with the NDP of old than the political shade of orange that is Laurel Collins, who is much further to the left than what I would believe most NDP voters are comfortable with outside of the urban cores of urban centres.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#51 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 08:54 AM

Most political parties are just brands. They recruit the person the most likely to win who is somewhat aligned with the party.

#52 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 09:02 AM

True.

Horgan could just as easily have been a very moderate Liberal MLA. Would he have become premier as a Liberal? Not a chance. But he would have fit within their ranks.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#53 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 09:14 AM

Most MPs or MLAs have zero power or influence once elected. Their own political agendas carry no weight. 

#54 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 01:09 PM

Wish we could make the same happen with city councils! 😆
  • Nparker likes this

#55 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 08:06 AM

At least Chrystia Freeland didnt break down crying this time.

"Images of finance minister Chrystia Freeland mingling barefoot at the G7 summit weren’t her first fashion woopsie this weekend. She was also the only G7 finance minister to wear a mask in an official photo of the group taken outdoors, where everyone was safely distanced and mostly vaccinated. A mask she wasn’t wearing for safety’s sake, but for PR value."

https://www.msn.com/...OCID=IE11FRENTP

#56 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 01:17 PM

At least Chrystia Freeland didnt break down crying this time.

"Images of finance minister Chrystia Freeland mingling barefoot at the G7 summit weren’t her first fashion woopsie this weekend. She was also the only G7 finance minister to wear a mask in an official photo of the group taken outdoors, where everyone was safely distanced and mostly vaccinated. A mask she wasn’t wearing for safety’s sake, but for PR value."

https://www.msn.com/...OCID=IE11FRENTP

Wow.... of all the things to really care about, that's pretty sad. She had one shoe off for at least long enough for one photo, that's the next big scandal i guess.

And why wouldn't she wear a mask? Last i checked, wearing a mask outdoor is still recommended by Health Canada if "you're in public and might come into close contact with others'.  Just because she's in another country doesn't mean that she shouldn't set an example. And being in close proximity with people travelling around the world is pretty risky; FFS, half of the people in the indoor photo weren't wearing masks! I'd keep mine on at all times around those idiots as well!

• Matt R. and Brayvehart like this

#57 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 01:29 PM

And why wouldn't she wear a mask? Last i checked, wearing a mask outdoor is still recommended by Health Canada if "you're in public and might come into close contact with others'.  Just because she's in another country doesn't mean that she shouldn't set an example. And being in close proximity with people travelling around the world is pretty risky; FFS, half of the people in the indoor photo weren't wearing masks! I'd keep mine on at all times around those idiots as well!

I agree that there is better 'news' out there but the issue with the mask is that she had it off and then put it on for the photo and then took it off again.

• Mike K., Nparker, John M. and 1 other like this

#58 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 02:46 PM

I agree that there is better 'news' out there but the issue with the mask is that she had it off and then put it on for the photo and then took it off again.

That's fair, i missed that in the article. 

Although to be fair, the 'was capture barefaced moments before' doesn't really provide any context, she could have been much more physically separated from the rest until just before the photo shoot, or maybe just touching up makeup or drinking or something. I'd like to think a journalist would be above twisting words like that, even a National Post opinion piece....  that's probably just me being cynical. (And admittedly, i haven't done any research for corroboration here....)

• Brayvehart likes this

#59 m3m

m3m
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 12:30 PM

Maxime Bernier arrested today for violating coronavirus restrictions. 

He's been in the news a lot lately with his conspiracy theories. Must be an election coming. 

• spanky123, Brayvehart and Victoria Watcher like this

#60 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 02:10 PM

anyway, my pet theory is MP's would be foolsh to call an election anytime prior to Oct 19, 2021 - why?   the 42nd Canadian general election was held on October 19, 2015

Retirement age:
For pensionable service accrued prior to January 1, 2016, a plan member with 6 years of service may receive their pension as early as age 55.
For pensionable service accrued on or after January 1, 2016, a plan member with 6 years of service may receive an unreduced pension at age 65.

no six years, no pension - it's that simple

nobody looks after their own interest better than a politician

oh, there is an election coming alright...but...not until the Fall!

• Brayvehart likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Brayvehart