• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#181 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 June 2016 - 02:20 PM

They're actually adding several sites.  I believe that the higher frequencies have shorter range, so more transmitter/repeater sites will be needed. 

I wonder if the coalition against smart meters will be up in arms about all the radio waves? 

Attached Images

• crestsites.JPG

• 57WestHills likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#182 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:50 PM

It appears that the CREST transmitter at Camosack has been offline for a couple of days.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#183 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 08:43 AM

ScanBC's scanner feed for CREST is not working as of Christmas Day.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#184 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:33 AM

And it appears that the transmitter at Camosack is again functional.

• 3isenough likes this

#185 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:34 AM

Will be a regular occurance in 2017 for the transition to P25 radio signals (I don't actually know what that means, but apparently it is better and it is also the new national emergency services standard). Lots of towers will transition and a few new ones going up. I think the change was suppose to have already started to P25 for Police but is on hold until amalgamated dispatch is online which is a pragmatic decision.

#186 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:48 AM

We have a P25 system.  It's old, but it's a P25 system.  

#187 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:52 AM

​Then we are getting a new one? I don't care about radios so I did not pay much attention when CREST came in this Spring for updates; all I noticed was the new radios were larger and heavier. Sure to be a hit with first responders.

#188 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:55 AM

I *think* we're moving form a Phase 1 P25 system to a Phase 2 P25 system.  140Mhz to 700Mhz. Shorter range (hence the additional transmitters) but better penetration into buildings.  Full encryption (you know, wouldn't want the public to have an idea of what's going on in the community...)

• GaryRanson likes this

#189 3isenough

3isenough
  • 240 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:19 PM

Is the ScanBC CREST feed down permanently?

#190 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:36 PM

Is the ScanBC CREST feed down permanently?

No idea.  Maybe the guy providing the feed is away on Holiday and his cat knocked the radio over?

#191 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:32 PM

If you're a listener of the online CREST feed, don't hold your breath for its return:

A post on reddit simply states it won't be back due to "internal politics"

Attached Images

• crest.JPG

#192 seymour201

seymour201
  • 213 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:21 AM

Lame sauce  :whyme:

• 3isenough likes this

#193 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:08 PM

Yup, super lame.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#194 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:18 PM

that's putting it bluntly  ...the cops wont be hesitating to ask for public help fighting crime but they themselves are so secretive  F' em

#195 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:45 PM

that's putting it bluntly  ...the cops wont be hesitating to ask for public help fighting crime but they themselves are so secretive  F' em

Easy there, HB.  The streaming online scanner has nothing to do with CREST or the local police.  Some guy has a scanner in his basement and streams it online.

You still have a couple of options - buy a scanner, or make one.  The latter being a heck of a lot cheaper.

I do take issue with the CREST transition to an encrypted system later in 2017/2018 as it keeps the public totally in the dark about what's going on in the community, but that's a different issue.

#196 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:48 PM

well thats what i was getting at the police truly do not want the public eaves dropping on the airwaves

#197 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:04 PM

^You would be OK with the police eavesdropping on you though, right?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#198 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:14 PM

I am a private citizen not a public entity who is required to answer to the public and I am not broadcasting on the air huge difference bud

#199 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:15 PM

^You didn't answer the question.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#200 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:21 PM

Easy there, HB.  The streaming online scanner has nothing to do with CREST or the local police.  Some guy has a scanner in his basement and streams it online.

And why has that gone off air?   The comment on the website seems a bit leading.  Was he told to shut it?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users