CREST Emergency Radio system

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#201 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:29 PM

It's odd, for sure. And it's also odd that the fire/ambulance feed has remained up. You'd think whoever supplies that feed could supply the police feed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#202 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:30 PM

Didn't answer it due to it not being relevant to the discussion and it's off topic

#203 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:44 PM

Clearly we need a guy that can put the CREST radio on the internet.  Like a Mark Cuban guy...

"No one ever got laid putting money in the bank, am I right?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IARfrdvIIMU

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#204 3isenough

3isenough
  • 240 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:45 PM

It's odd, for sure. And it's also odd that the fire/ambulance feed has remained up. You'd think whoever supplies that feed could supply the police feed.

Fire and Ambulance is offline too.

Attached Images

• image.jpeg

#205 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:49 PM

Geez you guys.  You can be up and running with a fully functional scanner for $40 and an afternoon of your time :) 

(Unless you own a mac)

• Diane likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#206 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:52 PM

^You would be OK with the police eavesdropping on you though, right?

They don't already do that? :) 

There's a line here and I'm not entirely sure where it should be.  The police (fire, ambulance, etc...) are public servants working to ensure the safety and security of the community.  I think it's reasonable for the public to have real-time access to what's happening.  Relying on spotty twittering isn't acceptable. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#207 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:55 PM

Oh wow!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#208 Diane

Diane
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:55 PM

Geez you guys.  You can be up and running with a fully functional scanner for $40 and an afternoon of your time :)

I'll pay you well to set it up for me.  

• 3isenough likes this

#209 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:37 AM

Good luck finding a digital scanner for $40 that's the funniest post I've seen in weeks
  • http likes this

#210 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:30 AM

Good luck finding a digital scanner for $40 that's the funniest post I've seen in weeks

You're right.  You can actually get two of them up and running for about $40.

#211 Diane

Diane
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:23 AM

Since ScanBC will not answer questions and in fact has "Victoria piss off" across the top of it's page, perhaps somebody here would be kind enough to offer an answer and put rumours to rest.  Is CREST, either police or bcas/fire capable of being monitored anymore by anyone with a home scanner?  Thanks so much.

#212 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:50 AM

You're right.  You can actually get two of them up and running for about $40.

Post a picture or model number . Id like to verify that.

Bearcat sells Digital trunk tracking scanners in the $300 to $500 range

If you are referring to an analog scanner from radio shack or from a second hand store they will not have the capability to pick up anything other than the odd amateur radio transmission

The days of buying a cheap scanner and a scanner frequency guide and plugging in frequencies in the span of 5 minutes are long gone.

Everything is secure compared to the good ole day...10-4 good budy

Programming a trunking scanner takes time and involved entering dozens of frequencies for one agency

http://www.bearcatwa...rs/digital.html

#213 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:51 AM

Getting one programmed is another story you will need to tell your (authorized) programmer that you are a first responded possible a volunteer firefighter then take it from there

Underground or under the table programmers if you can find one wont care who you are

Edited by HB, 10 January 2017 - 10:52 AM.

#214 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:14 AM

Post a picture or model number . Id like to verify that.

Bearcat sells Digital trunk tracking scanners in the $300 to $500 range

If you are referring to an analog scanner from radio shack or from a second hand store they will not have the capability to pick up anything other than the odd amateur radio transmission

One of these and UniTrunker + DSD+ will have you scanning and decoding local P25 non-encrypted talkgroups.  Analog and digital.  With trunk-tracking.

https://www.amazon.c...c/dp/B011HVUEME

It's a fiddly setup but it works.  I have it running. 

#215 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:32 AM

Is yours still picking up any Vicpd transmissions?

#216 Fred12

Fred12
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:33 AM

Site 3   (Camosak)   is down again as of about 9:30 this morning.   This is the same one that was offline for a week? over christmas.

without actually doing the work I'm guessing this leaves a big hole in their coverage,   hopefully they get it back online quicker this time.

#217 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:52 AM

Is yours still picking up any Vicpd transmissions?

I tune to Site 3 - VicPD, SPD, Victoria Fire, Esquimalt Fire, BC Transit, IRSU, BCAS...  

Site 3   (Camosak)   is down again as of about 9:30 this morning.   This is the same one that was offline for a week? over christmas.

without actually doing the work I'm guessing this leaves a big hole in their coverage,   hopefully they get it back online quicker this time.

Interesting.  I can sometimes get Mt. Doug's transmissions if the wind blows the right way.  

#218 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:11 PM

Site 3   (Camosak)   is down again as of about 9:30 this morning.   This is the same one that was offline for a week? over Christmas.

The primary control channel seems to be weak, but the alternate is working fine.

• Fred12 likes this

#219 Fred12

Fred12
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:27 PM

I couldn't change the control channel from work,  now that I'm home I see you're correct,  it may have just switched to the alternate control channel all day.  

Minutes after switching to the alternate channel,  the primary control channel came back to life,  and there was activity on the Analog Wide area test talkgroup, so I guess they're restoring normal operations.

• sebberry likes this

#220 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:33 PM

I asked about the tower drops at work today. It's for the transition to the new radio system. There will be rotating outages all year; but, there will also be new and amplified signals from other spots. Tentatively SPD will be the first to switch. However, there's some uncertainty with the amalgamated dispatch it may just be one big change now.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users