Where’s Grace Lore

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#101 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 28 August 2023 - 07:02 AM

Time to axe Grace Lorie.

My bet is that come next election cycle we see Helps or some other NDP star running with Lore receiving a special appointment from the Premier.

#102 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 28 August 2023 - 08:15 AM

My bet is that come next election cycle we see Helps or some other NDP star running...

I imagine you are right, but what gods did Victoria piss off to be punished like this?

#103 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,501 posts

Posted 28 August 2023 - 08:37 AM

I imagine you are right, but what gods did Victoria piss off to be punished like this?

see the Satan thread….
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

#104 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,079 posts

Posted 28 August 2023 - 08:40 AM

January:

Premier David Eby has appointed Lisa Helps, Victoria's former mayor, as the Premier’s housing solutions adviser.

Helps will work with the Ravi Kahlon, Minister of Housing, stakeholders and partners, to help design and develop the BC Builds program, an initiative to build housing for middle-income families, individuals and seniors.

Her 6 months are up.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 August 2023 - 08:40 AM.

#105 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 28 August 2023 - 08:42 AM

Lisa Helps' best before date was sometime around 2010.

#106 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 06:22 AM

Yesterday the province released a plan for building 3,500 units of housing by asking developers to submit proposals for government funding.

I think we’ve lost the battle when government has to fund development, because it’s so expensive to supply housing due to taxes, the building code and regulations.

i hear over and over how private developers are pursuing CMHC financing.
  • Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#107 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 07:53 AM

^ It becomes a vicious circle. The Government funds housing so that a few of it's friends and supporters can get an inexpensive place to live but in order to do so they need to raise taxes and/or cut services in other areas which then creates more people looking for an inexpensive place to live. 

• Barrrister likes this

#108 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 11:30 AM

It’s starting to feel like every time we find a cost savings we’d like to pass on to the market, the various governments move towards a more expensive building code, or a raising of DCCs, or a combination of various levies that negate the savings and efficiency.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#109 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 12:09 PM

There's very little that government touches that isn't made worse.

• Matt R. and dasmo like this

#110 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 03:56 PM

We are seeking a simple variance to place a sea can temporarily, the fee is $2000 for the application. You think I’m paying for this? No, you will pay through increased prices. The process should be free, since we are paying such hefty taxes, or at least on a sliding scale. Ridiculous.

#111 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 04:39 PM

We are seeking a simple variance to place a sea can temporarily....

One of these?

sea can.jpeg
Can't you just call it a tiny home village and let the government pay for it indefinitely?

#112 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,501 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 05:36 PM

It might be cheaper to just do it and then when they ask you to remove it say OK. As soon as the emergency is over, you will remove it.
  • Matt R. likes this

#113 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 05:45 PM

One of these?
attachicon.gif sea can.jpeg
Can't you just call it a tiny home village and let the government pay for it indefinitely?

It’s an accessory building and the setback from the highway is 4.5m, so we need a variance.

#114 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 05:47 PM

It might be cheaper to just do it and then when they ask you to remove it say OK. As soon as the emergency is over, you will remove it.

Oh, the work is complete already. There was a seacan and trailer there for a decade, we replaced the trailer with a seacan and upgraded the walkway etc, but it counts as an accessory building so needs a permit. No problem, but we need a variance.

Dealing with CRD and the trust, it’s a learning opportunity.

#115 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,501 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 05:49 PM

Act like my neighbour who is a construction manager. He just does stuff and they come and put up a yellow piece of paper. Stuff still gets done and the paper goes away 🤷🏽. Maybe that’s the way now.

#116 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 09:45 PM

It’s all about making things affordable for people.

#117 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,079 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 12:06 PM

LETTER: Victoria MLA won’t meet with constituents

I see that you published an article by Victoria-Beacon Hill MLA Grace Lore, ending with her statement that constituents can contact her to discuss issues.

As a resident in the riding, I have contacted Grace Lore’s office numerous times requesting a meeting for myself and another resident. We clearly stated the issue we wished to speak with her about. We are unable to get an appointment with her.

The job of an MLA is to meet with constituents to hear their concerns; Grace Lore does not fulfill this part of the job requirement.

Carol Auld

Victoria

https://www.vicnews...._medium=twitter

• Nparker likes this

#118 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 12:08 PM

^ Wonder if she gets a meeting now!

#119 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 08:40 AM

My colleagues had scheduled a meeting with Grace and she was very receptive and welcoming. They didn’t have a lot of time with her, but it was enough to have a quick conversation and update her on their issue.

MLAs are kept pretty busy. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
  • John M. likes this

Know it all.

#120 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 09:29 AM

^ I think part of the issue is that with MLAs and MPs using 'lifestyle' messaging on social media (ie lots of photos of family, friends and social causes) it makes it appear as though they have lots of free time. Folks then get upset that they can't get a response or follow up to their message. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users