141 replies to this topic

#41 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 05:57 PM

Birds caused the year-long delay?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#42 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 September 2022 - 06:13 PM

I was wondering where my cell service was out there last week. I’ll send the roaming fees back to Rogers

#43 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 05:29 AM

The notorious dead zone for cellphones between Sooke and Port Renfrew is expected to come alive by the end of the year — 14 months later than originally promised.

Rogers Communications said it started construction this month on four cell towers that will provide continuous coverage over the 70-kilometre span along Highway 14.

Two other towers within Port Renfrew are also underway, while a seventh structure, just west of Sooke, was completed in early June.

“It can’t come soon enough,” said Karl Ablack, president of the Port Renfrew Chamber of Commerce. “There are a lot of people anxiously waiting to have that connection.”

https://www.timescol...renfrew-5813152

The village of Port Renfrew has a population of 262 full-time residents, according to the 2021 census, an 82% increase from 2016. In the summer months, that population can triple with vacationers.

The latest census data indicated the Pacheedaht First Nation at Port Renfrew has a population of 85.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 September 2022 - 05:36 AM.

#44 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 05:36 AM

Notorious?

90% of Vancouver Island has no cell coverage.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#45 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 08:45 AM

Notorious?

90% of Vancouver Island has no cell coverage.

no·to·ri·ous
[nōˈtôrēəs]
ADJECTIVE
  1. famous or well known, typically for some bad quality or deed

It's well known that there has been no cell service in this corridor. No need to nitpick.

• Victoria Watcher and JohnsonStBridge like this

#46 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 08:50 AM

It’s actually not that well known. You’d be surprised how many people have no idea there’s no cell service out that way. They get to Jordan River and oh oh…

It’s common to have people approach asking for directions because their Google Maps won’t load.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#47 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 08:53 AM

Well, it might be the most-travelled part of the Island with no cell service.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 September 2022 - 08:53 AM.

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 08:55 AM

You don’t think nearly the entire stretch between Campbell River and Port Hardy is more travelled?

Or Port Alberni to Tofino?
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#49 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 08:58 AM

Well, it might be the most-travelled part of the south Island with no cell service.

Telecommunications giant Rogers is expanding wireless service along Highway 4 between Port Alberni and Tofino.

Cell service is expected to improve along an 85-kilometre stretch of the highway, once six new cellular towers are built and two existing ones are upgraded, according to the company.

The new cell coverage is expected to improve safety for commuters, and "bridge the digital divide" for more rural areas of the island, says Rogers.

"For people travelling between Tofino and Port Alberni, whether they’re locals, people visiting family, or those here to enjoy the beauty of the West Coast, Highway 4 can be cause for concern," said Josie Osborne, MLA for Mid Island-Pacific Rim, in a release Monday.

https://vancouverisl...berni-1.5757270

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 September 2022 - 08:59 AM.

#50 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 09:01 AM

Well, it might be the most-travelled part of the south Island with no cell service.

It is certainly the most traveled part of the island between Sooke and Port Renfrew with no cell service.

• Mike K., Matt R., vortoozo and 1 other like this

#51 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 09:18 AM

It’s actually not that well known. You’d be surprised how many people have no idea there’s no cell service out that way. They get to Jordan River and oh oh…

It’s common to have people approach asking for directions because their Google Maps won’t load.

It’s like that here as well. Most of Ganges has almost zero service. Standing in thrifty foods on a busy Saturday with 2000 people at the market and no signal.

Fulford, with the insanely busy ferry, didn’t have a lick of service until a few years ago when Telus put a tiny antenna on the ferries building. Would see people walking around with their phones in the air. A rumour started once that if you came into my cafe and put your hand on the espresso machine you could get one bar. People actually did this, usually followed by “can I use your phone.”

Always seemed weird to me because we can see the cell towers on mt Bruce, just across the harbour.
  • Victoria Watcher and JohnsonStBridge like this

#52 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 09:20 AM

The entire coast is pretty choppy like that. There are tons of parts of 'urban' Victoria with no cell signal. If you live in a dip along the coastline, no cellphone service for you!

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#53 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 04:07 PM

The entire coast is pretty choppy like that. There are tons of parts of 'urban' Victoria with no cell signal. If you live in a dip along the coastline, no cellphone service for you!

FWIW it's the same on the other side. Up at Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park I was picking up an intermittent Canadian signal but no US towers.

#54 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 04:15 PM

Yeah! Those signals carry real well across the water.

Didn’t I say once upon a time that we could cover the coastline by placing a Canadian tower in the US and vice versa?

Know it all.

#55 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 04:33 PM

Yeah! Those signals carry real well across the water.

Didn’t I say once upon a time that we could cover the coastline by placing a Canadian tower in the US and vice versa?

I'm sure they would run into regulatory & technological issues...picking up US-based spectrum etc.

For those that live in those marginal areas where they often hop onto US towers, there are Canadian-based plans that will cover them for not much more. 

EG Telus EPP has a plan that's $75/month for 45GB of data which can be used in Canada or the US. Their 45GB plan for Canada only is $66.50. Less that $10 difference and you can roam on all the US towers you want. Rogers Preferred Program has the same plan. I imagine Bell does too.

#56 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 06:09 PM

Could you link me to that $75 plan? That’s a pretty good price, but I can’t find it.

Know it all.

#57 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 07:27 PM

Yeah I have the US roaming with Telus and it has been pretty useful even along the coast. Picked up a signal at Sombrio and China Beach before. 10 bucks a month and it is pretty seamless when I cross into the states. 

• Mike K. likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#58 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 10:42 PM

Could you link me to that $75 plan? That’s a pretty good price, but I can’t find it.

It's EPP (Exclusive Partner Program) meaning your company has to have a relationship with Telus, same as Rogers Preferred. Some associations, unions, government employees, etc offer access to them as well.

If you're not sure and have a work/association email address, you can check eligibility here: TelusRogers

Small businesses may also have access to similar plans directly.

If not eligible, Freedom does offer a similar plan for $75 as well, open to anyone, which offers 50GB on their network and 4GB of roaming on other Canada and US networks.

#59 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 11:48 PM

Mike, I use the $25/ month US roaming add on package to my $25/month unlimited cell plan when popping down to the US (haven’t needed it yet while out Port Renfrew way but it’s there if you need it in a pinch)

The roaming package can be added at the last minute from your phone.

The catch for the $25 unlimited Canada plan is you need to be a Shaw internet customer. (which we already were).

https://www.shawmobi...ational-roaming

#60 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 05:40 AM

Thank you both.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users