Highway 14 cellular services

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#81 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,052 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 12:17 PM

Maybe only Rogers is switched on so far.  They are Rogers towers.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 March 2023 - 12:17 PM.

#82 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 12:19 PM

Yup, maybe.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#83 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,052 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 12:23 PM

Once it's ready to go though, you just hit the Clack button.

screenshot-www.google.com-2023.03.17-16_22_40.png

• Matt R. likes this

#84 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:58 AM

It’s still not working on Telus.

I've heard through the grapevine that Telus may be about 6 months away.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#85 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 07:20 AM

Wowzers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#86 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 12:49 PM

Wowzers.

They have their own cabinets for equipment at each site, and presumably don't/didn't receive access until Rogers allowed it.

It's not just something that will be enabled by software.

#87 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 07:35 AM

I can confirm, no Telus signal.

Wasn’t this government-funded, and touted as in-store to be a complete project by October of 2021!?

Know it all.

#88 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 07:45 AM

There was government funding yes. It's a miracle that this corridor was completed before Highway 4 between Port Alberni and Ucluelet.

#89 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 08:28 AM

$4.9 million, announced in April of 2021.

There is more travel between Renfrew and Sooke than Alberni and Tofino/Uc. You’ve also got thousands of people living west of Sooke without cell services, so I can see the priority.

Highway 14 is -busy-. You’d never think so, but it is. A big part of that is people just going for a cruise between a centre with 400,000 people, and the Cowichan Valley, with 100,000 people.

Know it all.

#90 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 03 April 2023 - 09:01 AM

There is more travel between Renfrew and Sooke than Alberni and Tofino/Uc. 

Traffic volumes are fairly seasonal on both routes but I can't see this. Government data has average traffic on Highway 14 at ~1,500/per day over the Labour Day Weekend in 2018 and ~2,700/per day on Highway 4 over the following weekend in 2018. There is limited data to compare directly but it certainly does not support claiming there is more travel between Port Renfrew.

• lanforod and vortoozo like this

#91 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 09:43 AM

It's not just weekend volumes that count, though, and things have changed drastically since 2018. COVID saw the area explode in popularity. Is your traffic data for west of Port Alberni, or east of Port Alberni? Is the data west of Sooke, or at Port Renfrew? The location of where the data was taken is important, too.

Population numbers alone would indicate there is more usage of Highway 14 than Highway 4 west of Alberni. There are thousands of residents fully dependent on Sooke/Victoria along Highway 14 west of Sooke. Tofino and Ucluelet are self-contained, few people live in Tofino and work in Alberni.

Know it all.

#92 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 April 2023 - 10:19 AM

I dunno Mike. I actually expect you're wrong here, especially in the summer.

• JohnsonStBridge likes this

#93 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,052 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 10:23 AM

I cry foul too.  2,800 permanent population in T/U.   13 hotels/resort in Tofino alone.

JDF electoral area has 5,300, but split between 3 areas.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 April 2023 - 10:27 AM.

#94 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 April 2023 - 10:28 AM

Camping travel is probably higher to Tofino too. Tofino area has a dozen or so good sized campgrounds and they are all full from May to September.
Renfrew and all along Hwy 14 has a handful of places, plus the offroad stuff. 

#95 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 10:37 AM

Ministry count data from 2018:

Shirley at Sheringham Point Road

Average daily traffic: 2023

Summer average daily traffic: 2784

West of Sprout Lake

Average daily traffic: 2640

Summer average daily traffic: 4593

• lanforod and Victoria Watcher like this

#96 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 10:46 AM

By China Beach it drops significantly.

2018:

Average daily traffic: 884

Summer average daily traffic: 1525

Just before arriving at the Tofino/Ucluelet junction:

2018:

Average daily traffic: 2567

Summer average daily traffic: 4402

So if you want to talk about how many are using the whole corridor, highway 4 has about 3x the traffic volume.

If you prefer to focus on the first count of the corridor, towards the population centre (Sprout Lake vs Shirley), highway 4 is still ahead. Plus, you'll have some local traffic at the Shirley counter (eg people coming from the beach to the cafe) which you wouldn't on the Sprout Lake counter since it's west of the camping areas.

Edited by vortoozo, 03 April 2023 - 10:49 AM.

• lanforod likes this

#97 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,052 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 10:48 AM

By China Beach it drops significantly.

2018:

Average daily traffic: 884

Summer average daily traffic: 1525

Just before arriving at the Tofino/Ucluelet junction:

2018:

Average daily traffic: 2567

Summer average daily traffic: 4402

So if you want to talk about how many are using the whole corridor, highway 4 has about 3x the traffic volume.

If you prefer to focus on the first count of the corridor, towards the population centre (Sprout Lake vs Shirley), highway 4 is still ahead.

For reference:

screenshot-www.google.com-2023.04.03-14_48_00.png

• vortoozo likes this

#98 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 03 April 2023 - 11:31 AM

It's not just weekend volumes that count, though, and things have changed drastically since 2018. COVID saw the area explode in popularity. Is your traffic data for west of Port Alberni, or east of Port Alberni? Is the data west of Sooke, or at Port Renfrew? The location of where the data was taken is important, too.

Population numbers alone would indicate there is more usage of Highway 14 than Highway 4 west of Alberni. There are thousands of residents fully dependent on Sooke/Victoria along Highway 14 west of Sooke. Tofino and Ucluelet are self-contained, few people live in Tofino and work in Alberni.

I compared the Sproat Lake count location to the China Beach count location. By no means perfect yet a reasonable measure of both corridors.

Your suggestion that population numbers alone would indicate highway usage demonstrates a vast misunderstanding of highway traffic on Highway #4. Traffic volume on Highway #4 is driven by tourism and not residents. Go read a tourism impact report for the Pacific Rim region and you might appreciate that tourists in Tofino equate to a equivalent number of permanent residents along the Juan de Fuca corridor. If comparable weekday volumes were avaliable, there would likely be a bigger drop in volume along the Highway #14 corridor.

#99 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 01:54 PM

I have been known to have vast misunderstands about a great many things, that is for sure.

Let’s get some recent traffic data. There’s a reason why the province chose Highway 14 and not Highway 4. I suspect it’s because a population of 500,000 people and the second largest tourism market in BC, connected by the Circle Route, generates quite a bit of traffic, in 2023.

Know it all.

#100 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 April 2023 - 02:31 PM

I have been known to have vast misunderstands about a great many things, that is for sure.

Let’s get some recent traffic data. There’s a reason why the province chose Highway 14 and not Highway 4. I suspect it’s because a population of 500,000 people and the second largest tourism market in BC, connected by the Circle Route, generates quite a bit of traffic, in 2023.

I think you're wrong on the why. They chose it because there is more population living and doing things ALONG the highway. There are small pockets of residents, various beaches and stopping points, a hiking trail.
Hwy 4 has more traffic from end to end, it doesn't have much of anything between Port Alberni and the junction to Ucluelet/Tofino.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users