Photo

[Sidney] Amazon fulfilment and distribution centre

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#21 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 11:12 AM

Those shipping companies almost always have some percentage of empty space on every truck, train and plane. Giving it to Amazon at even a tiny profit makes huge business sense.

Amazon also has its own shipping and air cargo operations, and local contractors that distribute parcels. It's not UPS or Fedex that's doing it any more, at least not the majority of it.

Not with the volume that Amazon has. Entire courier companies have been launched to deal with Amazon volumes. There's no way that the volume that Amazon has (and, say the 200 trucks a day at the proposed Island distribution centre) would have fit in the "empty space" of the existing infrastructure. 

#22 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 11:22 AM

^ Amazon must hold enormous power over courier companies. I have received products shipped from Toronto or California for less than what it would cost me to ship the products alone!

30 years ago people lamented Walmart and its destruction of downtown retail in the USA and Canada. Amazon is doing more damage than Walmart to retail in 1/4 of the time.

I want to lament the death of local bricks and mortar retail at the hands of amazon, but amazon is just too darn good. It's about 10x easier and less annoying to instantly order 2 sharpies via prime when the thought pops into your head - vs. putting it on a shopping list, putting on a mask, getting overcharged at Monks and then deciding whether to drive to Staples, etc. 

Amazon is absolutely killing it for these little purchases- office supplies, small grocery/snack stuff, tools, toys, small home decor, etc.

All those little things you think about adding to a shopping list for the future but never get around to.... i just order them with 1 click and then i forget them until they arrive 2-3 days later. A nice bonus is that every day feels like Christmas because I usually don't remember what I've ordered.

• Mike K., Matt R., grantpalin and 1 other like this

#23 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 11:48 AM

Amazon has these "add on" deals to push you above the minimum spend for free shipping. In my last order I added a two pack of sharpies for like $2.50. The items I originally wanted came from the Surrey distribution center, the sharpies came from Mississauga in a shoebox. Free shipping for double the shipments!

I order my Mae Ploy green curry paste from them. A couple years ago they shipped the 12 x 1kg tubs stacked on top of each other in 1.5m tall box that someone in the warehouse had made from a different box. So much tape.

Used to get the 2x2kg tubs of wow butter too, 32 kg at a time. They didn’t make any money on my Prime account.

Matt.
  • todd likes this

#24 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 11:51 AM

^ Probably not too many flying from the airport!

These new Amazon warehouses are a thing of beauty. The reason why they have 80' ceilings is that they shelve that high and almost all fulfillment is machinery controlled.

The Sysco warehouse in Langford is much the same. Robots just zipping up and down the shelves picking orders, much different than gfs in Richmond, where it’s guys on pallet jacks doing the ballet, awesome to watch.

Matt.
  • todd likes this

#25 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 11:54 AM

I wonder if the CoV (and other local munis) will be counting the energy consumption of 800 delivery vehicles delivering packages point to point in their GHG emission reduction targets? 

maybe that's preferable to 800 cars driving to the mall?

the delivery truck at least in big cities makes many delivery stops in the same block.  go to vancouver and follow an amazon truck thru kitsilano.  it's something to see.

every home-to-mall private auto trip might average several km.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 April 2021 - 11:56 AM.

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 03:39 PM

Not with the volume that Amazon has. Entire courier companies have been launched to deal with Amazon volumes. There's no way that the volume that Amazon has (and, say the 200 trucks a day at the proposed Island distribution centre) would have fit in the "empty space" of the existing infrastructure. 

For sure, but Amazon can cut some pretty good deals by guaranteeing a company like Fedex or UPS uptake of available inventory, I'm quite certain.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 28 April 2021 - 03:40 PM

You had *two* Sharpies flown in from Ontario instead of walking across the street and buying them.

Apparently I have a different understanding than Amazon regarding the phrase "ship with": "Add-on items ship with orders that include $25 or more of items shipped by Amazon"

#28 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 03:43 PM

You had *two* Sharpies flown in from Ontario instead of walking across the street and buying them.

but if he bought the two sharpies across the street would the store re-order from ontario to replace them?

#29 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,171 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 April 2021 - 09:40 PM

Apparently I have a different understanding than Amazon regarding the phrase "ship with": "Add-on items ship with orders that include $25 or more of items shipped by Amazon"

I get add on items a lot and at least half the time they come separately. Silly system for sure.

#30 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 553 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 11:11 AM

So we can get one of these...but not an IKEA.  Try getting anything IKEA shipped via Amazon...will never happen.  Try getting anything IKEA delivered to the island ...ie: sectional.  

#31 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 11:19 AM

Try getting anything IKEA delivered to the island ...ie: sectional.  

You can have it delivered to the Victoria Collection Point off Keating Cross Road.

#32 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 11:28 AM

Or use a service like add2cart. I've used them a few times before for getting IKEA goods, though not for anything as large as a sofa.

Edited by grantpalin, 29 April 2021 - 11:28 AM.

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 11:44 AM

You can have it delivered to the Victoria Collection Point off Keating Cross Road.

What they don’t tell you, is when your item has arrived according to IKEA, this warehouse might not have it ready for you for several days.

Yup. I drove out there earlier this year only to find out my order wouldn’t be unpacked for a couple of days. Sorry, not sorry, see you later.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#34 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 11:49 AM

Wayfair is better than IKEA anyway

#35 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 262 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 12:03 PM

Where exactly is this going to be situated? Trying to visualize it using satellite view on Google maps.. 

#36 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 29 April 2021 - 12:38 PM

Where exactly is this going to be situated? Trying to visualize it using satellite view on Google maps.. 

At the bend where Beacon becomes McDonald Park (not to be confused with the McDonalds parking lot on Beacon)

map-location-of-proposed-distribution-ce

• Kilo95 likes this

#37 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 01:06 PM

At the bend where Beacon becomes McDonald Park (not to be confused with the McDonalds parking lot on Beacon)

map-location-of-proposed-distribution-ce

I think that is opposite where the new yacht build site is currently being built.

Oh the traffic.

• jasmineshinga likes this

#38 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 01:43 PM

Word on coffee row is that Amazon is going to buy YYJ to use for its flight routing network so it can pretty much put the warehouse anywhere it wants!

#39 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 02:12 PM

YYJ exclusively for Amazon use, all other traffic rerouted to the newly re-opened Lansdowne Field.

• Mike K. likes this

#40 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 02:22 PM

Maybe we'll finally get that runway extension YYJ promised.

Attached Images

• 20210429_152008.jpg

• todd likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users