[Sidney] Amazon fulfilment and distribution centre

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#41 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:13 PM

It’s the former location of this project: https://victoria.cit...idney-crossing/

The community fought long and hard against this proposal, and after all of the delays construction never proceeded as North Saanich won the day by permitting Sandown Park a stone’s throw away, albeit at a less convenient location: https://victoria.cit...hopping-centre/

And what’ll be missing from the Sidney Crossing approvals is a pedestrian crossing over Beacon Ave.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#42 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 30 April 2021 - 06:39 AM

^ I thought Sidney Crossing was at Beacon and Stirling, hence the opportunity to locate a pedestrian crossing over the highway

#43 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 06:42 AM

It’s the former location of this project: https://victoria.cit...idney-crossing/

The community fought long and hard against this proposal, and after all of the delays construction never proceeded as North Saanich won the day by permitting Sandown Park a stone’s throw away, albeit at a less convenient location: https://victoria.cit...hopping-centre/

And what’ll be missing from the Sidney Crossing approvals is a pedestrian crossing over Beacon Ave.

Hey but Amazon will now have a 'headquarters' in Sidney so roll out the red carpet!

#44 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 06:47 AM

^ I thought Sidney Crossing was at Beacon and Stirling, hence the opportunity to locate a pedestrian crossing over the highway

Ah, yes! The Amazon site will be northwest of the Sidney Crossing site.

@Spanky, are you saying YYJ will serve as a base of air operations for Prime Air?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#45 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 06:54 AM

Hey but Amazon will now have a 'headquarters' in Sidney so roll out the red carpet!

isn't the sidney mayor one of the largest sidney brick/mortar retailers?

he owns one or more book stores.

https://www.timescol...ayor-1.23471078

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 April 2021 - 06:55 AM.

#46 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:45 AM

isn't the sidney mayor one of the largest sidney brick/mortar retailers?

he owns one or more book stores.

https://www.timescol...ayor-1.23471078

Maybe he will start selling on Amazon!

• max.bravo likes this

#47 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:46 AM

Perhaps already involved with Abe Books!

Know it all.

#48 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:46 AM

Ah, yes! The Amazon site will be northwest of the Sidney Crossing site.

@Spanky, are you saying YYJ will serve as a base of air operations for Prime Air?

I am suggesting that the geography of the area would make it an ideal location for small package delivery. I don't know if the population density would support it though.

#49 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 10:54 AM

I think that is opposite where the new yacht build site is currently being built.

Oh the traffic.

Yep, that's directly across from the nearly-complete Titan Boats (occupancy soon). That's a skinny road for so much traffic flow, they'll need to seriously upgrade.

• SimonH likes this

~ Jasmine ~

#50 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 11:37 AM

Have you verified that it actually will be Amazon, Mike? Not saying it isn't, it most certainly makes sense that it would be, just curious if you've had a source confirm this.

• Kilo95 likes this

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 12:04 PM

That’s the chatter, but it could be anything, really. I’m certainly not going to publish a piece saying it is :)
  • marks_28 and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#52 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 12:12 PM

could it be an IKEA?

or even a large safeway?

• todd likes this

#53 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 12:22 PM

My inside sources are saying it’s a tesla gigafactory.
  • Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#54 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 12:37 PM

could it be an IKEA?

or even a large safeway?

Only a handful of companies would use 80' ceilings.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#55 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 12:37 PM

Yep, that's directly across from the nearly-complete Titan Boats (occupancy soon). That's a skinny road for so much traffic flow, they'll need to seriously upgrade.

If it is Amazon then I am sure that they could schedule deliveries such that they could fit 800 vehicles into a single lane alley!

#56 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 01:23 PM

I’m pretty sure it’s a City of Victoria parkade.

Know it all.

#57 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 09:57 AM

Local MP Elizabeth May says it is imperative for the public to know the identity of the company that plans to operate a massive warehouse in Sidney on airport land as an important deadline for public feedback approaches.

“We certainly need to know who is going to be responsible for operating this distribution centre,” she said.

____

“Quality of life and the quality of beautiful Sidney-by-the-Sea has something to do as well as with the small-business feel of the place and the ethical conduct of the companies within our community,” she said. “If it was Amazon, reputationally there would be concern. It could also be Purolator, which is part of Canada Post. There will be very different questions (depending on the nature of the company).”

https://www.vicnews....house-operator/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 May 2021 - 09:58 AM.

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 09:58 AM

So, find out, Ms. May. You're the MP. 

• pennymurphy2000 and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 10:02 AM

Does the Citified guy have to do everything around here?

The industrial park underway adjacent to Luxton was supposed to be the Amazon fulfilment centre. I would like to know what happened to have it emerge in Sidney instead.

Know it all.

#60 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 10:40 AM

^ Just the heavy lifting. :)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users