BMO bank robbery shooting | June 28, 2022

• Please log in to reply
563 replies to this topic

#561 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 03:30 AM

A letter of thanks from a bank customer who was in the BMO branch on June 28

The magnitude of the event, followed by a lockdown two days later that started in front of my house, have left me rattled.

The Times Colonist - July 13, 2022

I was in the BMO branch on June 28. I am so very grateful and thankful to the officers who came to our rescue at a huge cost to many, either physically or mentally.

How do I tell you that you will forever be in my dreams, in my thoughts, and in my heart? I went to each barrier around the bank area the day after to say thank you.

It is not enough. I tear up as I type this. I need everyone to know how much it meant.

How can I cower now when you have run to my aid, guided me to safety? For this, because of you and the job you choose to follow, I am here. I will go on. I hope you can too, knowing how much you mean to me.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Lesa (the woman wearing a green sweater and a mask)

#562 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 33,878 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 05:49 AM

We would like to thank the Saanich Police Department and Chief Constable Dean Duthie, as well as the Victoria Police Department, members of the Greater Victoria Emergency Response Team, the RCMP and Mayor Fred Haynes for everything they’ve done and are doing to support our community and our local team through this difficult time.

As a proud member of our community, BMO is committed to helping our customers, employees and the public recover and move forward. On their behalf, we have contributed $10,000 toward the relief fund established by the Saanich Police Association and Victoria City Police Union to help support the needs of our injured officers.

The safety and security of our customers and our employees is our top priority, and we’re working hard to reopen our Shelbourne and Pear branch for business as soon as we can, with a date to come soon.

https://www.timescol...-to-all-5577253

#563 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 05:19 PM

Saanich bank reopens after shootout that wounded six officers, killed two gunmen

Times Colonist, July 19, 2022

Screenshot 2022-07-19 18.11.45.png

Two private security guards were posted at the front entrance of the Shelbourne Street bank on Tuesday and said they will be there all week and longer during opening hours.

The Saanich bank where six police officers were wounded and two gunmen died in a hail of gunfire reopened on Tuesday — exactly three weeks after the brazen robbery and shootout.

The parking lot of the BMO branch on Shelbourne Street where one of the gunmen lay in a pool of blood was scrubbed clean, and new windows were installed with a large transparent sign on the entrance that reads: “Thank you for your courage, support and bravery. We stand together. BMO.”

The motivation of the suspects remains unknown.

An online fundraising account set up by the Saanich Police Association and the Victoria City Police Union to help the injured officers has collected $266,577 so far.

The Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit is conducting the investigation and has provided no new details.

#564 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 06:59 AM

Saanich neighbourhood block party helps residents heal after bank shootout

ER nurse who cared for 2 wounded officers, is married to ERT member, organized event

Aug. 11, 2022  

30037531_web1_220809-SNE-Shooting-Block-

Residents enjoy a block party gathering Aug. 4 on Elm Street in Saanich, organized as a way to help people come together and continue healing following the June 28 shootout at the nearby BMO Bank of Montreal branch on Shelbourne Street.

A Saanich neighbourhood came together for a block party aimed at helping residents heal, just over a month after a nearby bank was the site of a shootout which left two suspects dead and six police officers injured.

The block party was organized by neighbourhood resident Rebecca Kirkwood, who has multiple connections to the incident. An ER nurse at Royal Jubilee Hospital who helped treat two of the injured officers, she is married to one of the tactical team members who responded to the scene but was not injured.

“The party was wonderful. It was so much fun to have people we have never met before come out and exchange stories about what they were doing during the incident and all that … later in the night we set up the camp fire and people brought out their guitars and sang around the fire.”

Once she decided to organize the event, she reached out to several local businesses who were happy to donate some gift cards to help cover the costs of food and drink, making it feel even more like a community coming together to support each other.

While time can be a healer, Kirkwood said it can still be difficult to reflect on that chaotic day, especially for her husband Ron, who at times found neighbours’ questions about the incident overwhelming, though he appreciated their words of support and thanks.

Kirkwood said she plans on making the block party an annual event, though future editions won’t be tied to the bank shooting and will instead be a simple summer celebration of community.

Morehttps://www.vicnews....-bank-shootout/

• On the Level, Brayvehart and MysticalWarrior like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users