City of Victoria 2022 - 2026 Council - Discussion

• Please log in to reply
1156 replies to this topic

#361 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 February 2023 - 01:32 PM

Yikes, that part of town is not particularly welcoming now. The old CT has quite the ensemble of smoke marks from a fire that started by squatters.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#362 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 February 2023 - 12:17 AM

London Drugs leaving Harris Green would be a terrible blow to downtown. It’s a major draw and source of so many goods you can’t as easily get elsewhere in one location.

Vic West might be a target for a relocation. Eventually Bayview and Dockside will have larger retail units. Also there’s the Reliance project in Rock Bay that could work.

If they move to Vic West they'll lose just about all their business from anywhere east of Cook St., which would likely hammer them pretty hard.  What they'd pick up from Esquimalt wouldn't begin to cover it.

#363 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,049 posts

Posted 23 February 2023 - 03:07 AM

If they move to Vic West they'll lose just about all their business from anywhere east of Cook St., which would likely hammer them pretty hard.  What they'd pick up from Esquimalt wouldn't begin to cover it.

I feel they gets lots of money from there, for sure.  Fairfield, Oak Bay etc.

#364 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 23 February 2023 - 06:57 AM

No doubt. It’s a prime location they’re in.

But eventually storefronts age out. And if something new were to materialize elsewhere they may jump.

Chapters did, despite having a flagship downtown store. The Gap did as well.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#365 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 23 February 2023 - 12:31 PM

No doubt. It’s a prime location they’re in.

But eventually storefronts age out. And if something new were to materialize elsewhere they may jump.

Chapters did, despite having a flagship downtown store. The Gap did as well

I'm guessing shoplifting costs will weigh on their decision. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to go elsewhere - maybe when Fairfield Plaza redevelops, or if an opportunity arises in James Bay or Quadra Village it would be competitive. Keep in mind with government workers no longer having to go to the office, that much of their bread and butter just isn't going to return. What is left, would likely follow them - and might even prefer the new location if parking is better and it feels safer.

• Kungsberg likes this

#366 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 23 February 2023 - 12:37 PM

Has the commercial parking component to the Harris Green proposal been reduced?

#367 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 23 February 2023 - 12:59 PM

Not as far as we know.

Know it all.

#368 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 23 February 2023 - 01:07 PM

Has the commercial parking component to the Harris Green proposal been reduced?

Not as far as we know.

So I am not sure why all the speculation on London Drugs future as part of the proposal. Of course if Starlight cancels the HG project, that is an entirely different matter.

#369 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 23 February 2023 - 01:11 PM

That’s why we’re talking about it, in case it gets cancelled.

Know it all.

#370 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 23 February 2023 - 01:12 PM

Because although Starlight clearly stated they had an agreement with the Market, they have only said they are happy to work with other tenants. Does not sound so firm.

#371 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 23 February 2023 - 01:16 PM

It’s a long ways out, the new digs, even if shovels hit the ground today. So presumably a lease would be signed as phase 2 was getting underway. So we’re talking 2026-2027, with move-in by 2030. Phase 3 will complete in 2033-2035, realistically, if all goes well.

Know it all.

#372 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 23 February 2023 - 01:24 PM

Well, I think the Market has a deal to move to phase 2 or 3, so that is being developed to suit them. LD would need something similar, these retail units need loading docks, they are not like smaller retail or restaurants.

#373 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 23 February 2023 - 01:40 PM

Market is moving into phase 1, so up at Cook and Yates.

Or was, in any case. London Drugs would be (if I were to guess) a phase 2 move, provided phase 2 doesn’t require the redevelopment of where LD is now, then they would have to close or relocate for several years.

Know it all.

#374 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 23 February 2023 - 01:42 PM

So LD’s decision could be based on what phase 2 encompasses and what happens to the LD space as part of phase 2. They might have some say in how 2 and 3 proceed, maybe.

Know it all.

#375 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 23 February 2023 - 01:44 PM

Market is moving into phase 1, so up at Cook and Yates.

Or was, in any case. London Drugs would be (if I were to guess) a phase 2 move, provided phase 2 doesn’t require the redevelopment of where LD is now, then they would have to close or relocate for several years.

OK, what I meant is that Market is planning to not close, move from where they are right into the other phase when it's ready.  That must be planned, big loading docks.  LD needs the same.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 February 2023 - 01:45 PM.

#376 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 23 February 2023 - 01:51 PM

Right. So I’m thinking, if LD remains a tenant, I would imagine phase 2 would be Yates at Quadra as opposed to Yates at Vancouver, to keep LD open. If LD walks, the phasing could change.

That’s just my musing.

Know it all.

#377 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 23 February 2023 - 02:14 PM

I think that if LD needed to relocate for construction they likely won’t come back which is why they haven’t committed. Moving once is a pain and results in customers changing habits, moving twice is a non-starter unless they couldn’t find suitable space.

#378 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 23 February 2023 - 04:55 PM

Yes, very much so. So LD is keeping its options open, I guess.

Let’s say they do move. Where would they move to? Is there a possibility of The Bay sizing down or consolidating at Mayfair?

Know it all.

#379 m3m

m3m
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 11:33 AM

Gosh, I sure hope London Drugs is coming back. That's our main drug store and where we get our prescriptions. You mean we're going to have to drive even farther? 

There's like 6 other pharmacies within 2 blocks of London Drugs... 

#380 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 11:36 AM

You mean, like six methadone dispensaries.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users