Photo

City of Victoria 2022 - 2026 Council - Discussion

• Please log in to reply
1429 replies to this topic

#401 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,889 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 10:27 AM

CoV voters were given the opportunity to make things better back in October. I have lost all faith in the local electorate to do the right thing.

#402 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 01 March 2023 - 11:03 AM

CoV voters were given the opportunity to make things better back in October. I have lost all faith in the local electorate to do the right thing.

I'm an eternal optimist. There's an infrastructure to get out the vote. One that didn't exist for those running against the NDP/Together Victoria machine - it wasn't something that could be done by any single candidate, the fact that there are 3 people at that table who weren't backed by the machine is reason for hope. We will learn, we will do better - this is an amazing city filled with people who love it, who just need to be motivated to vote for a group of people that will put the city first. I dislike slates, but absent that kind of machine, it really is an Everest.

#403 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,889 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 11:08 AM

I wish I could share your optimism AJ. If 8 years of Lisa Helps didn't motivate the electorate to come out in droves to correct the course of local politics, I am not sure anything will. Still, as you say, at least 3 moderate candidates made it to the council table. I am still upset that you are not among them.

#404 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 01 March 2023 - 02:52 PM

the fact that there are 3 people at that table who weren't backed by the machine is reason for hope.

Yes, sure. But unless and until the ground game to get out the vote is (much) better managed, and earlier funded (24 months), and adequately staffed, no chance.

I don't think a slate is necessary but combining resources might be, and I don't think a slate tied to Falcon's party can succeed at all here.  The message could be quite resonant if credibly independent because "independent" is the white space. 

#405 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 10 March 2023 - 11:49 AM

I see the climate opportunists are at it again. Now moving to require fast food joints to serve on reusable plates/knives/etc. - ignoring the reality of why many of these establishments don't. There's theft issues. There's hygiene issues. There's cost issues - both initial cost, and then in the form of additional staff time to wash the items. Like the bike lanes, it is green washing. A compostable single use alternative is likely the best middle road.

Meanwhile, Caradonna is calling those who drive downtown after 6pm cheapskates, and proposing to extend paid parking in order to make a "historic investment" downtown with the additional revenues. 

All while, Mr. Hammond, is asking the council to do a very simple thing: write a letter to the province to request additional support for improving security around transitional housing facilities and is shot down.

• Nparker, mbjj, Kungsberg and 1 other like this

#406 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 09:25 AM

Chief Manak responded this morning to the situation on council, where Councillor Hammond’s request to send a letter to the province asking for stepped up security at housing facilities was flatly denied by council, and Mayor Alto refused to allow the councillor to respond to criticism of his motion.

“Added security at ‘some’ locations will help deter loitering, disturbances & unwanted people. I’ve never said every location or everyone but reality is “many people in these facilities ARE criminals”. Some extremely violent exploiting/terrorizing residents. This isn’t hearsay.”

https://twitter.com/...LNt72cvXf0yWpgg
  • Nparker and Kungsberg like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#407 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 09:28 AM

Meanwhile, Caradonna is calling those who drive downtown after 6pm cheapskates, and proposing to extend paid parking in order to make a "historic investment" downtown with the additional revenues.

Making bank off polluters seems like an odd way to make environmental statements.
  • Nparker and Harry like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#408 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,889 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 10:05 AM

Making bank off polluters seems like an odd way to make environmental statements.

It fits with the logic that forcing more cars to idle on city streets through road diets, bike lanes and other anti-car policies is good for the environment.

#409 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 07:18 AM

https://www.timescol...ictoria-6694943

I wrote a short, heartfelt note of thanks to Stephen for writing this, and cc'ed "Mayor & Council", so he'd know they saw it.

I hope many, many people do this so he knows the risk he's taking is worth it, and about something at least some people care about a lot.

I've been in this position and every note matters.

• Nparker, kjf and Barrrister like this

#410 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 07:20 AM

Just remember, how quickly the NDP razed Oak Bay Lodge.

The land is still sitting vacant.

Know it all.

#411 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 57,753 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 07:22 AM

Just remember, how quickly the NDP razed Oak Bay Lodge.

The land is still sitting vacant.

Saanich wishes they would have done same with Mt. Tolmie Hospital, before the poverty pimps got ahold of it and filled it with miscreants.

• davidN likes this

#412 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 10:07 AM

All five of the not-a-slate aren’t from Victoria. How could they know? They don’t have the context or the experience here, in Victoria, to know.

C74ACE17-42B9-4B3A-9A1E-5700D6245E22.jpeg
- https://twitter.com/...LNt72cvXf0yWpgg

Know it all.

#413 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 10:28 AM

All while, Mr. Hammond, is asking the council to do a very simple thing: write a letter to the province to request additional support for improving security around transitional housing facilities and is shot down.

Calling drivers cheapskates for not wanting to pay for extended parking while having a 100% free bike valet is asinine.  

• Nparker and Barrrister like this

#414 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 10:35 AM

It’s incredible, isn’t it?

They rely so heavily on the automobile and drivers to fund a litany of line items, but disparage them, constantly. From calling them cheapskates, to traffic violence-makers, to denying them places to park. Then they turn around and start planning how much money they’ll be making by increasing paid parking (which I agree with on premise, but don’t bite the hand that feeds you, for gosh sake).

Know it all.

#415 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 09:27 AM

It’s incredible, isn’t it?

They rely so heavily on the automobile and drivers to fund a litany of line items, but disparage them, constantly. From calling them cheapskates, to traffic violence-makers, to denying them places to park. Then they turn around and start planning how much money they’ll be making by increasing paid parking (which I agree with on premise, but don’t bite the hand that feeds you, for gosh sake).

Incredible, and predictable...

If the increasingly out-of-touch NDP continues to ignore the will of Victoria, continues to use our suffering city as a petrie dish to (unsuccessfully, so far) grow compliant leaders, things will get much, much worse. 

These attention seeking adolescents, all auditioning for the next "true-believer" role within Eby's alt-universe will destroy this city, tripping over each other's loony soundbites.

37% cared, lol, and we're governed by 5 corrupt people who have power because 1/6, at best, voted for their ideas.

• Nparker likes this

#416 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 10:03 AM

Luckily, Quazars arcade will soon serve alcohol.
  • Matt R. and lanforod like this

Know it all.

#417 HappyValleyGirl

HappyValleyGirl
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 02:10 PM

All five of the not-a-slate aren’t from Victoria. How could they know? They don’t have the context or the experience here, in Victoria, to know.

C74ACE17-42B9-4B3A-9A1E-5700D6245E22.jpeg
- https://twitter.com/...LNt72cvXf0yWpgg

Define "aren't from Victoria"

#418 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 03:07 PM

Aren't from Victoria: not from Victoria.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#419 HappyValleyGirl

HappyValleyGirl
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 03:30 PM

Aren't from Victoria: not from Victoria.

Try answering again. They all live in Victoria.

#420 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,889 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 03:52 PM

Ms Alto doesn't live in Victoria - or does she?

I suspect "not from Victoria", means most of the 5 woke councillors did not grow up here or have relatively short histories with the CoV.

• mbjj and Barrrister like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)